Finally, an answer to our questions

TracyEd

Well, I just wanted to share the good news that things are going very well lately.

I've learned to have a lot more patience with my difficult child because I've had an aha moment where I realized it really didn't matter what his diagnosis was, but that he has needs that I wasn't meeting.

So, I created a strict routine that included a meal plan and times where he'd do chores/homework/etc...

He responded extremely well to the routine.

With the notes provided to the therapist and all of the feedback we got from difficult child regarding how he felt...we've come to terms with the fact that it's Aspbergers that has been causing so many of his problems.

We've always thought it was his moods, but his mood was affected by his displeasure with lights, sounds, textures, tastes and such. He also requires the schedule in order to feel safe.

The psychiatrist hasn't officially diagnosed him yet, but the therapist and I are both pretty certain. difficult child did a questionaire and he's also positive. He feels so much better just knowing he's not alone. There is a name for how he feels.

He sees the psychiatrist in January and hopefully we can proceed with more help for him (and us) from there.

Andy

Congradulations! You are definately doing it right for your child. It really feels good when we find something that works. And diagnosis are helpful when they are correct.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Good for you for just working to help move your family forward!
Sometimes the Therapies that work best for our kids are never traditional. Both of my girls do well with different approaches. But they both have sensory processing disorder (SPD) and Anxiety, but theirs both manifest differently.
They also both benefit really well from a lot of the Spectrum therapies.

witzend

Good for you, Mom, for taking really great care of your son! :thumbsup: Not every mom would take the time to figure it out, and not every mom would be able to follow through. You done good!

I want to interject that I see that he is 10 years old. I'm not sure what side of ten he is on, but inevitably his hormones are bound to start raging sooner rather than later. There will be additional behaviors that are just plain puberty rearing it's ugly head. If he's having a physical exam, you might ask the doctor for his or her opinion on where your son might be in this process.

susiestar

Roll With It
Well Done!! It is hard to come to terms with your child having an illness, esp one like Aspergers that is life-long. Your son CAN do very well in the world, given proper interventions and supports. He seems very self-aware, in realizing his need for the schedule to feel safe, etc...

I STRONGLY urge you to have a private Occupational Therapy evaluation for Sensory Integration Disorder or other sensory issues. Often they go hand in hand with Aspies. I know working on my son's sensory issues helped a LOT with his behaviors.

There is a book called "The Out Of Sync Child" by Carol Kranowitz that explains Sensory Integration Disorder (SID) and give some ways to help. There is also a companion book called "The Out Of Sync Child Has Fun" that was even more help for my family. It gives activities to help provide the sensory input our kids need. Mostly they are affordable, using everyday items. Some require special things, but there are ideas to make these things very cheaply.

One such item is a crash pad. It is a BIG padded cushion that a child can jump onto with-o hurting himself, or roll up in if he wants. Using the ideas in the book, I sewed 2 top sheets together (the kids don't use top sheets - just leave them wadded at the bottom of the bed, LOL) and I keep our out of season blankets and pillows and some throw pillows I got at a garage sale or 3 in them. Mine shuts with velcro dots, though you can sew it shut. I didn't, because I wanted to get stuff out of it occasionally.

thank you jumps onto it, rolls up in it, makes a "nest" to curl up in to watch tv, etc.... It is his haven when he is overloaded.

I hope you have a lot of success with this, esp with the new outlook!

LittleDudesMom

That's great news Tracy!! Which difficult child of yours is this?

Most of our kids operate mch better when following a routine. I think it gives them some kind of comfort to know "what is next".

Sharon