Finally off the steroids.... get out the cheese

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
and the pain, the facial drooping is driving me up a wall. I'm taking twice the normal amount of pain medications that I had been & it isn't touching it this morning.

I see my neuro doctor on the 28th; my GP is already talking about sending me back to Mayo now that the steroids are finally out of my system (a 13 month titrate).

I'm thinking of a merlot or maybe a zinfindal to go with the cheese. What do you think?

Jungleland

Welcome to my jungle!
I am sorry you are in pain.

Please be careful with the pain medications and drinking. Worried board friend here!!

If it was me (and IF I could drink ;) ) I would choose a nice Napa Valley Chardonnay!!

I pray your pain eases very soon.

Hugs and love, Vickie

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Vicki, sweetie, I rarely drink. At the Cleveland gathering I had 2 drinks & I was cut off. I was always a cheap drunk & still am. Saying that I'm an epileptic & know my limitations & what I can & cannot do so I remain seizure free.

I guess I was just trying to find some humor this morning. Thanks for the concern.

Jungleland

Welcome to my jungle!
I'm sorry Linda, I really meant no disrespect. I guess I am still in major recovery mode and forgot most people CAN drink in moderation and enjoy it. I wish I was one of them, I do love a glass of great wine and miss it. Whaaaa! LOL.

Please accept my apology.

Lots of love, Vickie

mstang67chic

Going Green
I know you've posted on why there is facial drooping but speaking of cheese....my swiss cheese brain has lost it.

When I had the Bell's Palsy, the doctor rx'd a steroid and we also tried an anti-viral (Herpes medication if I remember right :slap: ) Another thing he said to do though was to massage that side of my face a couple, few times a day. I don't know if things were improved by any or all of those but it did seem to make a difference. Can't hurt to try!

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Well, since you asked....

I'd forget the cheese! lol

Sorry you are hurting, but glad the 'roids are history.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
'Stang, the official diagnosis is post herpetic encephalopathy; there is varying degrees of brain damage. The Cushings disease is supposedly "cured" however the blood work hasn't been returned on that.

I've just had a MRI & since the steroids are gone my brain is swelling again & there are some new lesions that aren't supposed to be there.

I expect I will need a low dose of prednisone once again. My eye just wouldn't open this morning; it's half way there now.

Goofiest thing in the world - get your vaccine for shingles as soon as you can. This has all been a result from shingles.

dreamer

I'm sorry you're haveing the pain continuing. I can sympathyze some. I'm still on my prednisone & had to boost it 2 weeks in July. sigh. careful recommending vaccines tho cuz my docs think my vaccines for nurseing school triggered my illness....sigh. I know this weeks intense weather changes are again flareing me badly. & now this last week the rhematic illness has begun to attack my right eye. Sending you gentle hugs. Hang in there.

Marguerite

LInda, I'm off prednisone now, just under a week. Like oyu my pain levels have climbed and I'm struggling to keep it under control. I had cut my pain medications but I'm concerned they will climb back up again. Being winter here, I'm feeling the cold badly )more tan most [people around me) and I know more cold = more pain for me.

As for cheese - I will bring along a King Island double brie for us to share, with a chunk of warm crusty bread from my kitchen.

As for wine (which I hardly touch these days either thnaks to liver problems) - how about a good Australian Hunter Valley white? Or our favourite vineyard, Cassegrains? husband & I have visited tat place sincei t first opened and my parents lived nearby. Mty parents are long gone but the vinyard is flourishing.

Gone are the days when Aussie wine was disparagingly known as "Kanga Rouge" and "Bondi Bleach".

So together we can share a virtual glass of good wine and an entire wheel of the best brie in the world.

Marg

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Marg, I'll take you up on the virtual glass of wine with warm bread & brie. Sounds wonderful.

You ladies are the best ~ I feel like I'm a true person here; one who's not forgotten or ignored & for that I'm truly grateful.

Here's to better days.;)

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I'll join you in a virtual glass of Pinot Noir... even though it is only 10:12 in the morning! I guess it is OK because it is in cyberland. ;)

Lot's of cheese as well.

Big soft hugs, comfort and support.

LittleDudesMom

Linda,

sorry you are in so much pain now. I think the Mayo return is definately in the cards now that you are off the steriods.

Hope you are able to find some relief.

Hugs,
Sharon

KTMom91

I'll join in the virtual glass of wine...since I was diagnosis'd diabetic I no longer drink. But cheese and warm bread...two of my favorite things.

Many hugs, Linda. Hope you're feeling better soon.

Marguerite

KTMom, this is a VIRTUAL glass of wine, so you sould be able to have some with us. I have similar restrictions on my alcohol intake also, but I'm happy to share my virtual bottle.

Since we're having some good Aussie cheese in there (I grabbed a chunk of Milawa Gold too, it's another soft creamy cheese but with a stronger, almost 'blue' flavour) I've opened a bottle of dessert wine, a sauterne style. Very sweet, a rich gold colour like the cheese. Not lolly water in any way but a rish, full-bodied fruity dessert wine, perfect with the cheese board we're assembling. And of course the amount we actually drink - calorie free!

by the way, I've tossed in some large Queensland strawberries too, they're in season right now, loaded with flavour and really delicious. Can't go wrong with strawberries! I just did a bit of shopping today and noticed that they're on special, I was snacking on a punnet of strawberries in the car on the way home. They're allowed on my diet, unlimited.

We can dream, can't we?

Marg