Finally! the neuropsychologist appointment

Nancy423

do I have to be the mom?
Got a call this afternoon from the doctor himself. He was very nice and sounds like he's a great listener. He was very shocked that the SD had difficult child arrested, and didn't have any records pertaining to the incident!! Said school may can only send THEIR info. So I'm forwarding him (or bringing with) any add'l stuff I have. He also doesn't give the school's ANY info until AFTER we see it and give our input. I'm actually very wary of new people but this guy made me feel very comfortable with his plan. He also has a REALLY great "radio announcer voice" LOL (he made that joke, so sounds like he's got a great sense of humor too)

We'll be going 2 consecutive days (she'll miss school but I'm fine with it, this is more important right not) and it's going to be about 10 hours total (breaks every hour or so). that means I miss hours at work but I think this is worth it.

So, at these appointment's, I'm supposing that parents sit in the waiting room? Wondering if I should take homework or something to occupy myself with...

FINALLY!!!!!! Now, getting thru the next few weeks. I'm like a kid at Christmas LOL

BusynMember

Wow and great! My son had ten hours of testing, and I think the NeuroPsychs need every hour. The more they do, the more they know and can convey. Sounds like, with ten hours, he has plenty of time to check out EVERYTHING.
My son had five two hour sessions, but I still got bored so I brought books to read. I didn't learn anything until all the testing was done and then we all sat down. Afterward I got, like a fifteen page evaluation explanation and my son's life really changed for the better with the right diagnosis. I wish you the same great luck. THis one sounds like a keeper!

Nancy423

do I have to be the mom?
so I should stock up at the library huh? LOL
Will I be just sitting on the sidelines? Or does the doctor have the parent in the room during evaluation?

klmno

I was in the room when my son had his testing.

Congratulations on getting this scheduled! Is it going to be soon?

Marguerite

I was in the next room when both boys were getting evaluated, but I was able to watch and listen - one way glass. But we've had other assessments where I was in the room at the same time.

Definitely take books, for both of you. I not only take books to read but I also take puzzles to do, or something else I can put down instantly. Nothing too physically heavy. I also was able to park nearby and could go back to the car to swap a finished book for the next in the series. Also to take - snacks, bottles of water, a favourite toy - whatever else you think is likely to be handy if a child is getting anxious/hungry/thirsty/sleepy.

Good luck - I think you have the right attitude.

Marg

Nancy423

do I have to be the mom?
Congratulations on getting this scheduled! Is it going to be soon?
Feb 12th and 13th
OMG it's 3 weeks away! How the heck am I gonna keep it together LOL

thanks Marg. I'll pack up some dry goodies and a water bottle. I know we'll get a lunch break so I might treat her to McDonalds or something if she's cooperating!

Ropefree

Banned
My experiance has been the people who specialize in child psyciatrics are really wonderful all round. And especially these first encounters are so important for forging a good beginning for kids who are already struggling in some way. When my son went in for evaluation we were both nervous. My son was nothing short of brave and determined. The incounter went well. and when we left my son was transformed by the wealth of insight the doctor gave him and my son was able to express optimism for his future. These are valuable moments that our children get the encouragement that a)they are worthy and b)there is much to feel good about.

Nancy423

do I have to be the mom?
You know RF, I might be overly optimistic about this appointment....hoping to find something that others missed. Is that bad?

We went to the doctor's website and looked at his picture and other stuff on there together. I know that even with all this she'll still be anxious and "shy" when we first get there.

smallworld

Nancy, we've been through numerous neuropsychologist evaluations with three kids, and I've never been in the room when the doctor is administering tests. I've always sat in the waiting room or gone for a brief run to a coffee shop during testing. Like Marg, I brought books to keep me occupied and kid-friendly drinks and snacks for testing breaks.

Good luck!

Janna

I've never been in the room during testing either, and D saw one, two times, for countless hours, too.

Definately bring stuff to do! Congrats on getting the appointment!!