Finally!

Lothlorien

School is acknowledging that Missy needs extra support in the classroom. She has been placed in the "Basic Skills" program where two extra teachers are in her classroom to help her and probably a few other kids. She won't get pulled out of her class, but these teachers are there to help with the kids in that program. Whew!

A few months ago, I had to call Mobile Response. It was a messy and complicated issue. She attacked my son, me and the dog. Since calling Mobile Response, the services that we are getting and are going to get are wonderful so far. They put into motion things I could never have done. We have an appointment with their psychiatrist in a few weeks. They've also said they would help with the IEP meetings. They aren't responsible for the Basic Skills, but they've helped with a lot so far.

If you have those services available, I recommend that you use them, when needed. They've really been wonderful. There's been none of the acusatory crappola that I had to deal with early on. What a relief.

Loth, so good to hear you are getting good services. I can imagine the tough and sad times you've had. Our family has had those too. We finally got good services (after gfg17 had a psychotic break) and it is such a relief.

Hope your better times last for a long, long time!

Jo

TerryJ2

VERY good!

Isn't it amazing the stuff we have to go through to get the simplest of interventions?

I haven't heard of Mobile Response. Are they run through the city?

Star*

call 911........call 911
Dude had a shadow.......Actually he had several - we kept firing them until we found one that clicked. Actually it worked out good for one guy - he clicked better with another kid in the classroom so the teacher had 12 students, an aid, and 2 shadows. She loved me.

nvts

Don't you love it when things start to click? We're in the Waiver program for difficult child 1. They've set up a tutor, skill builder, respite (sort of lacking - only 1.5 hrs per week - but the other two would pay money to be away from difficult child 1!), Parent Support (IEP's, setting up meetings, work with you for SSI, HEAP, foodstamps, etc.), Sibling Clubs, etc.

difficult child 1 doesn't seem to be making much progress, but I've seen some subtle changes here and there.

I'm glad she's finally getting the services - it's so much better for her to feel accepted by these teams!

Beth

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Loth, this is wonderful news! I'm so happy for all of you~

Can you please provide a description of what the Mobile Response is as well as what you mean in terms of "Basic Skills"? What are the basic skills she's being shown at age 10 - I'm just curious because this was an issue I wanted addressed at the Junior and HS level for difficult child and the school looked at me like I had 4 heads. Thanks.

Lothlorien

Mobile Response is different in each state. First, in NJ, it was called Value Options and they had Mobile Response and it's paid for through the state Medicaid program. (We don't qualify for regular Medicaid; it's a completely different service, but is paid through Medicaid). It's not through Value Options now; it's a different program. I'm sure a lot of states have it. I would call your local mental health service agencies or call your local Children's Hospital and find out about it for your state through them.

I've actually had the number for a couple of years, but resisted calling them, because I was afraid of opening a can of worms. I wish I had done this sooner, because she would have gotten these services so much sooner. Live and learn.

Shari, if you have it in your state, it might be worth trying in your situation. I know of some of what you've gone through with wee and these teams are specially designed to be more aggressive with the schools and you might get a lot further than you have on your own.

Lothlorien

Jo,
Mobile Response is a team that comes out when your child is in crisis. When she attacked my son, then went after me and then the dog, I had just had enough and decided to call. By the time they got here, she had calmed down, but they talked to her and then set up Case Management, which is helping out with other programs, such as after school care, IEP meetings, got her an appointment with their psychiatrist, since the doctor that we've been using is now charging us over$300 a visit and I can't possibly afford that. They will also be setting up a counselor to help with her triggers, such as homework, games etc. They will work with her once or twice a week to help her with her triggers. That hasn't started yet, but will. They also extended the period of time where the psychologist will come to my house. I have a child psychologist that comes to my house once a week for about an hour to work with Missy. Typically, they will come for 6 weeks, but they have extended that to 3 months and can extend it up to 18 months. The weekly visits really help address things that have happened during the week and she reinforces things that I try to get through to Missy. It's been a Godsend!

If you have a psychiatrist or any other services in place, ask them about a crisis team or mobile respons through your state.

Jena

Loth

that's great! i'm soo glad your getting what you need now. and our mobile crisis team here bites... glad it's great where you are.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Loth, I know you feel relief. It's not a cure but at least you aren't trying to fight this battle with no support of professionals. Finally they are seeing what you are seeing. Any help to fight the "dragon" of a disorder is welcome, in my humble opinion. You are leading the fight but now you are getting an army to support your child's needs.
Many hugs.