Finally!!!

klmno

I was offered a job!!

This has been a great week- I noticed my luck running good when I made the road trip without anything unexpected- like road construction or traffic blocks due to accidents. Then I came home and in the mail yesterday, rec'd a small inheritence check to replace one I never knew was mailed over three years ago but had apparently gotten lost in the mail. Interestly enough, they noted that this check was to replace the check dated XX/XX/XXXX, which was difficult child's b-day and shortly before he got into major, major legal trouble. But it was also right before my bro started stirring up koi in difficult child's and my lives and it was my bro who they had asked for family members' current addresses- I had moved 6 mos earlier and my bro knew the address change. I had figured out that the company couldn't possibly have been given my new address last year and, of course, had long since figured out that I couldn't trust my bro at all, so I contacted them myself.

And then, having an appointment with a new therapist that I liked and just let me talk and cry some things out was nice, too.

The only thing concerning me right now is that difficult child's staffing meeting where they tell everyone his length of stay was Tues and his CM hasn't even returned a call or mailed me anything so I don't know the results yet. And since I refused to sign those papers for PO, I'm wondering if he has initiated a stop-contact or something. I'm supposed to get my first visitation with difficult child Sun and I am afraid they won't let me in. Not only has it been 1 1/2 mos since I've seen him, but I want to know where he's being transferred, when, and for how long he'll be in- and I wanted to tell him about the job in person. I won't be happy if I drive there and they won't let me see him.

The other issue - about the job- it requires a lot of travel but most trips are less than a week at a time. I want to keep my dogs but I don't know how feasible it is. I wouldn't want them in a pet boarding place often. Is it feasible to think I could find a college student living in a dorm or something and let them stay at my apt. for free when I'm out of town if they agree to take care of the dogs for me until I get back?

klmno

and does anyone on here know how I could estimate moving cost if I decided to keep a little furniture- say one pick-up truck full that could be moved by two college boys? They would have to have their own truck though.

trinityroyal

Klmno, congratulations! I'm so happy to hear that you've been offered a job. And the inheritance funds will help with costs until you get your first paycheque. AND to find a therapist that you like and feel safe with. Wonderful news, all three.

As for difficult child's staffing and other issues, it's hard to know what to say. I know that bureaucracy can be so onerous -- as my husband says, never assume malice when incompetence will explain it. It's possible that they just don't have their act together to tell you what's going on, and you'll find out when you arrive on Sun.

With regard to your dogs, my worry about hiring a college student and letting her/him have free run of your apartment while you're away on business is that your place would become party central (or worse, a target for thieves) while you're out of town. Even if the person you hire is trustworthy, who's to say who else might have access to your keys in a dorm. I would be uncomfortable with that. Maybe a pet-sitting service where they do background checks on the staff? I don't have pets, so I have no idea if such a service exists, just thinking out loud.

Anyway, CONGRATULATIONS on your JOB! I'm so happy for you.

Trinity

klmno

Thx! Yes, the money couldn't have come at a better time. I am moving out next week and knew if I didn't get this job, at least I could take the dogs to a cheap hotel and stay until I figured out the best place for them and formed a plan for myself. I'm much happier with it now going toward a deposit for an apt. :)

LittleDudesMom

Congrats on the job and the check! I could probably round up some "starving" college students to help you move to an apartment but you would have to rent a uhaul or something if that would fit in your budget. PM me if your are interested. I think the price of the move would depend on whether you could fit everything into one trip (less time), how much stuff you have, and the approximate time you think it would take to do the move out and move in. I would also need to know the day so I could make sure it wouldn't conflict with work or classes.

When it comes to the dogs, I don't have an answer. I'm not sure I would be hip on having a college student there unless I knew them well. Trinity is right about the party central possibility. Also, you wouldn't want any illegal activity that would threaten your lease. I know our leases have an immediate eviction clause for illegal activity.

Congrats again!

Sharon

klmno

Yes, that is a good point about college students. The last thing I want or need is some difficult child destroying another place- espcially one I didn't feed as a baby. LOL! But, maybe a military person living in the barracks, if they are the past the irresponsible party phase.

As far as moving- the main thing I was considering keeping was the dining room set because it was relatively new and I loved it so much and the model has been discontinued- which is how I got it on sale. But a man just came by who fell in love with it. And he is an unemployed trauma (physical not psychiatric) researcher who got laid off by fed gov over 6 mos ago and moved here to try to find work. He offered more than I was asking for it and I liked him, so I sold it. I figured I'd have to pay to move it to an apt, then pay to move it again at some point because I don't plan on staying in whatever apt I get next week for several years so it just is not really feasible not to go ahead and sell it.

Now, if my bedroom set doesn't sell but the other stuff does, I might PM you about trying to get that moved. I honestly wouldn't want to take more than one small truck load and I'm thinking about 2 hours max to load a truck, 2 hours driving, 2 hours max unloading, and 2 hours for them to drive back. Would two college kids do that for about $8-10 per hour, each? If I was paying for the rental truck and gas? But- this has to be done the middle of next week or Friday at the very, very latest.

ETA: Trinity, I think the pet setter services are people who come in a few times a day to walk the dogs and feed/water them but they don't stay with them. That would be fine if it is just 1-2 nights occasionally, but if it's longer I think the dogs would feel neglected. Spoiled they are- I know. :tongue:

Notice how I didn't even have to tell how fast I said "Yes" when he asked if I would consider taking this position? He hadn't even finished letting the air out behind the words. LOL!

Last edited:

Jena

finally is right! i'm so happy for you that and the check. you were overdue for good things to fly your way :)

i'd def. get someone in to walk the dogs if you can swing that.

so happy for you

donna723

That's wonderful news! And long overdue! I'm so happy for you and I can't even imagine how relieved you must be!

On the thing with the dogs, you might check with your vet. One of the techs in our vets office does "puppy sitting" in her home and she charges about half of what a regular boarding kennel does. She does a wonderful job and my dogs already know her and are comfortable with her. I trust her and I never worry about them when they're with her. I bring their own bedding, their regular food and some of their favorite toys, and they just settle right in.

klmno

Good idea, Donna! I'd like to keep the same "sitter" for most of the trips at least and I sure can't afford the typical boarding fees on a regular basis- I'll be paying CS for difficult child for his time in Department of Juvenile Justice.

TerryJ2

Congratulations! I'm glad things are finally going your way.
I agree that college students would make your place into party central.
I also think a pet sitting svc would be great, even though they'd only come twice a day. I know you think the dogs are spoiled, but they can adjust. :)
You may be able to find a reliable adult to do it, instead of a professional svc.
Sounds like you've got everything else under control.

LittleDudesMom

k,

pm me the details (exact date and location) as soon as you know them and I'll start making some calls - I think your 8-10 rate is workable.

Sharon

klmno

ok- thanks! It will probably be later this afternoon because I'm getting ready to have people over for a moving sale. And I'm thinking difficult child might be calling any min if he has his phone privilege this week.

DDD

It's wonderful to read an up post. You've had quite a hard time and evidently this week was your week. :D DDD

CrazyinVA

Staff member
YAAAAAY! Sounds like things are finally looking up for you, I am SO glad! Pet sitter is def the way to go, I can ask a couple of my dog friends if they have recommendations. Asking your vet is a good idea, too.

bby31288

KLMO! YAY, I am so excited and happy for you. You are a WARRIOR Woman! You did what you had to to survive. You are an inspiration to all of us! You deserve this break more than anyone I know! Good Luck to you! I am sure it will all settle in and work out perfectly!!!