Finding a chiropractor

F

flutterbee

I talked to my GP about seeing a chiropractor if my MRI didn't show anything (we're both still shocked over that) and she was hesitant. It really surprised me because she's a DO and usually they're more open-minded about those things.

She did mention one chiropractor that she liked, but of course he doesn't take my insurance.

With all of the stuff going on with my back, I'm hesitant, but am desperate for some relief. I'm just afraid of making it worse since I feel like we don't have a handle on the problem.

So what do I look for and what do I watch out for? Also, I got my lumbar spine MRI on disk. Should I take it with me to have the chiropractor look at? (The radiologist read my brain MRI as normal, but the neuro found midline cerebellar atrophy so I'm really interested in having a second pair of eyes look at it - I'll also have the new neuro look at it.)

TIA.

Last edited by a moderator:

JJJ

Hi Heather,

I would take the MRI and any recent x-rays that you have. The chiro may want to take additional xrays as some conditions contrindicate having adjustments.

Your insurance company probably has a list of chiros that accept your insurance.

I would look for a grad of one of the Big Three chiro colleges: National in Lombard, IL; National in Toronto and Palmer.

Most chiro will do a free consult where you can get an idea of how they would treat you and decide if it sounds like what you are looking for.

They can help a lot with certain maladies.

Ropefree

Banned
I am one of those people who benefits from chiropractic and I have seen lots of different types of chiropractors. The best one I have seen in the last ten years does welcome the input from MRI and radiography. Generally a chiropractor will do their own neuro exam and sometimes they take their own images as well. They will evaluation to check if they find that they can help you. The one I refer to above would carefully measure the angles in the current x-rays and show similar x-rays from another previous patient and describe the reported change and show the befor and after treatments.
Other chiropractors just use their in session tests and what really matters is if you feel confident and if they help you.
Often when a new patient goes to a chiropractor and is not comfortabe after I have myself gone back and been retreated the same day to get it right.
I really like chiropractic. It relieves much for me.
Good luck.

SRL

Heather, I think asking around is probably as good a way as any to start. Find out what their adjustments are like, how deep into nutrition and supplements they are, etc.

I started about 9 months ago when my neck and upper back were all knotted up and my daily life was starting to be seriously hindered. I went with someone who was recommended by a friend. The first appointment was for intake and x-rays plus they did a muscle treatment that really helped. The second was to discuss treatment plan, which was a 3 month period starting out at 3 times a week. It has helped a great deal not only for my back but some improvements in my carpal tunnel and sinuses as well.

I didn't know it when I selected my chiro but she uses a newer system called ProAdjuster. It's a computerized system and uses a pressure probe to measure how much adjusting is needed, and then makes it accordingly. It's very gentle.
http://www.proadjusterlifestyle.com/index.php?do=chiropractic#section4

Do ask about nutrition/supplements. We have one chiro here in town who is into natural treatments in a big way so people who favor that approach flock to her. Mine is lower key on it--she keeps a small shelf of favored products she might recommend but doesn't have a supplement shop in her office like the other does.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Traditionally, a chiropractor uses as little outside intervention as possible to evaluate and help their patients.

Definitely ask around and try to find a chiro who takes a natural approach to the body healing itself. One who can discuss and suggest outside natural ways to alleviate aches and pains such as nutrients, supplements, teas, etc. A chiro such as this will only do manipulations that do not cause more pain, or, force the injured or painful area to do a manipulation that can cause greater discomfort or pain.

Believe it or not, just like with any other specialty out there, not all chiros are created equal. There are a lot of chiros who either couldn't hack medication school or chose this path and then became wrapped up in the every intrusive world of using gadgets and such. You have to be careful. I have had two GREAT chiros and one decent one. The one I recently went to was a jerk. I recently contacted my old chiro who I left because she moved too far away from me and am planning on seeing her when I can. It's worth the trip to see a chiro who truly knows what he/she is doing.

If the first person you see does not put you at ease and truly listen to your concerns or in any way causes you to feel uncomfortable, find another. Also, if that chiro your friend recommended does not take insurance, check to see if he will take whatever your co-pay would have been - many do that!

And lastly, do a little research on chiropractic care. I have met people who have a completely misunderstanding of it and are very surprised to learn how it works.

I hope you feel better and find the right chiro for you.

susiestar

Roll With It
I say trust your instincts. We have one EXCELLENT chiro in town - he is amazing, but you might spend 2 hours in his office. He likes your muscles to rest between adjustments, so he can make sure things are just right. Before my neck surgery I ran into him, my mom had asked him about me. He got my permission, then downloaded my MRI and Xrays from the hospital. He said that usually he recommends other things, but I was so badly messed up he could not think of anything that would help except the surgery. He wrote me a three page letter about it - and didn't charge because my mom and dad are long-time (20 year) patients.

My ins doesn't cover ANYONE in our town, so I took Jess and I to a chiro in the city. She was OK, but really wanted to move much faster and promise to "cure" every single thing that ever was wrong with anyone. She even said she could fix thank you's handwriting and sensory issues. We didn't go back after that - if they make big big promises I figure they are quacks.

Good luck.

trinityroyal

She even said she could fix thank you's handwriting and sensory issues. We didn't go back after that - if they make big big promises I figure they are quacks.

Yup.

My chiro is wonderful. But he's super super far away. It take about 1 1/2 to 2 hrs one-way to get to him. But I keep going to him, because I haven't found anyone good to replace him who is closer to where I live.

Susie is right. Trust your instincts. Go for a consultation, discuss the type of treatment you're looking for and the type he or she recommends. Take with you your MRI and whatever other information you have on hand. And then listen to your gut. If you feel ANY sort of weird niggly feeling about things, then that person's not the right chiro for you.

Hope you find the right one!

Trinity

F

flutterbee

Thank you for the tips. I'm still on the fence about whether to go ahead and do this or wait until I see the pain mgmt doctor and get his input. I guess it will depend on how long it takes to get into see him.

There's so much more to chiropractic care than I ever knew. I really appreciate the info. I don't know anyone who goes so I'm kinda on my own with who I pick.

Thanks again!