Fingers crossed for my dad

TerryJ2

Dad fell yesterday and broke his hip. He was actually walking! (He's 90.)
He is the opposite of P when it comes to pain. He's like the knight in Monte Python and the Holy Grail, arms and legs sliced off, "Come get me! I'm ready for you! It's only a flesh wound!"
So if he limps and complains of pain, it must be something bad.
My sister told me that he could not undergo anesthesia because he is too frail. I'm wondering if some of it is also due to the effects of dementia on anesthesia, and the fact that his liver enzymes have been very high for a few yrs.
She said he has a hairline fracture in the socket so they can do partial surgery with-a local (I'm thinking like an epidural?).
He went in at 10 a.m. and I have not heard back yet.

Always one to look on the bright side, M said that this will slow him down so he won't wander, won't get anxious, and will know he is dependent upon the nurses for help. Two wks ago he slugged a nurse.
smartass.gif
rolleyes.gif

klmno

Oh goodness- I'm sorry to hear this. I hope he is ok and gets past the pain soon....keep us posted.

klmno

Let's hope so- it could just be that they are keeping him sedated for a long time and not really saying much yet. I'll keep you in my thoughts. I feel bad for not keeping up on the board or in keeping in touch and I'm working on myself right now to regroup while waiting to see what will happen with the job issue- but you're still in my thoughts and I hope your father is ok.

TerryJ2

Thank you.

Turns out he's still in surgery. He needed blood this a.m. and one thing led to another, so they didn't start until 3:00.

I mentioned to the nurse that he can get violent, and she said she was well aware of that, and that my dad also seems to prefer male nurses. I asked if they would have to restrain him, since he'll forget, repeatedly, what he's in there for, and she didn't answer the question directly, but said they will take good care of him, and that there is a television in there. (I offered to pay for the TV because in NY, at St. Lukes-Roosevelt, you have to pay for phone and TV separately. This place, in MN, is a million times nicer.)

She said she'd be in until 7 p.m. and said I could feel free to call her back. What a sweetie.

DDD

I'm so glad that you have a caring nurse. Strange behaviors often accompany seniors following medical procedures. I'm sure he's going to be fine but am sending warm thoughts and prayers your way. DDD

TerryJ2

Thank you! I hope my sister gets some sleep. Apparently she stayed at the hospital the entire night b4 because he was acting up and she was the only one who could calm him down.

M

ML

It does sound like he is in good hands. Sending prayers for your dad that his spirit translates to determination and that he heals quickly.

TerryJ2

Me too! Thank you.
They only plan to keep him for 3 days, so I will send his super-duper humungous bunny card to my sister's house. And I plan to fly up in the next few wks.
Not that he'll know me, but that I'd like to see him b4 he takes a turn for the worse. You never know.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Your description of your Father left me with such vivd Monte Python Memories.....lol. Love it.

Sending up prayers for his speedy recovery - with MUCH humor of course. Hugs