Fingers crossed for my niece who checked into rehab today

TerryJ2

I've posted here a few times about my niece, who is an adorable little pipsqueak of a person and has gotten herself out of dozens of arrests just on her feigned innocence and looks, but who has had a rough time with-meth. And pot. And alcohol. My little sister came up with-the idea to do a letter writing intervention, which everyone hated, and it was a total flop, of course.
She finally did a real intervention, but that was also a total flop, because they couldn't lure her out of her apt to follow the plan, and had to do the whole thing in her own apt, so of course she swore at everyone and told them to get out.

So my little sister told me the other day (over the ph, since we live halfway across the country from one another), that her difficult child was going to check into someplace Tue or Wed, as soon as a bed opened.
It was everything I could do not to say, "Yeah, I've heard that one before." difficult child has been in rehab 3X I think and it never stuck. She stayed for a wk or 10 days. Clearly, not long enough.

But she seems ready, and is very tired of her anxiety issues. She always thinks she can deal with-it on her own and she is realizing she needs help. She is 24.

I got a text a little bit ago, that said difficult child was checked in and all settled in!
This one is much longer, either 30 days or 60 days.

FINGERS CROSSED!
:starplucker:

buddy

I hope she does well this time. My nieces are like my own kids.... I love them so dearly (my nephews too) and it would affect me nearly as much as my own child... sounds like you love your niece a bunch too. Pray she settles in and her spiral starts upward.

Nancy

Thank goodness. Sixty days is much better. Keep us posted. You are a very caring aunt. My sister never even asked how difficult child was doing when she was in rehab. I really hope she is ready for the hard work it will be, but it's very worth it.

Nancy

TerryJ2

Yes, that's the sad and scary part. The hard work. She's mostly clean now, so the physical aspects won't be so bad. But when she has to be accountable to her therapist and doctor and answer questions with-an actual sentence, it's going to be a long shot. All I can say is that they must be used to fragile people and know what they are doing. And I hope they keep the doors locked.

Kathy813

Staff member
Checking herself into rehab is a very good sign. I hope she sticks with it and that this is the start to her lifelong recovery.

TerryJ2

Yaay! She's in a different city, about 8 hrs away from her home town. She won't be going anywhere fast.
I've still got my fingers crossed. :fingerscrossed:

susiestar

Roll With It
I really hope she is able to take advantage of this and the help that she needs. Until this last year when I had prescriptions not arrive (by mail from the doctor's office - written, not actual drugs), I had very little concept of how awful the process of detox is. It really helped me see some of what gfgbro went through and to be very proud of him for actually getting sober and making the changes he has made and for making the commitment to sobriety that he has made. It didn't fx all the problems, of course, but it DID make a big difference and was a real accomplishment. Esp since it was his first attempt at sobriety and rehab and recovery.

If you haven't had any experience with this, it is truly easy to have no clue how difficult the process really is. And then, with addiction, you have all the problems left when you finally get through the physical symptoms. I truly admire those who are going through recovery, and those family members who are accompanying them on the journey.

exhausted

Hope that she stays and plays! If they buy into the program and work it, they have a chance. Third time could be a charm. Your a good aunt! :)

TerryJ2

Thank you all. I think she was through with-most of the physical detox even before she went in.
My sister's goal is to get a good diagnosis on her daughter, especially the anxiety issues, and get her on a solid course of medications that will keep her from spiraling downward. Also, the talk therapy has to be very serious and in-depth because she's got a lifetime of issues to tackle, and with-her brain being so messed up from meth, I don't know how much brain power she's got left. :(
She had the potential to be a good artist but I don't know if she can pull it off any more. Fingers crossed!