Fire ants...

witzend

So, I got bit/stung by a fire ant today. Thank goodness it was only one and I was at home. I think that they were on the mailbox, but they could have been on a plant that I was watering. I gently washed it with warm soapy right away and went to the internet for "home remedies".

Now, this is going to sound weird, but they said to tape a penny to the blister for an hour or two. I did that, husband came home and we went to dinner. What do you know, when I got home and took the penny off my wrist, all of the swelling was down! It still stings a bit and there's some mild redness in the area, but nothing like it was.

I don't know why it worked, but it did! Then we sprayed the mailbox with plenty of Raid!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Hmm. Was going to say maybe the copper did something. But then it would have had to be an older penny as the newer ones really don't have much in them......which is why they feel fake. But hey, it worked and that is what counts. :)

I hope you managed to kill em all.

susiestar

Roll With It
Interesting. I wonder if maybe it was having something cool against it helped, but it wouldn't stay cool so ??? With all the germs on money I am surprised that anyone would suggest applying it to your body, esp if they didn't warn you to wash it first.

DammitJanet

They have all sorts of interesting old timey home remedies. Tony's grandma swore she could remove warts off cows with a penny and she didnt even have to be near the cow. She just drew a picture of a cow, taped a penny to it, folded it up and in a week , the wart was gone. LOL.

If you even think you have fire ants, look for little yellow dirt hills in your yard. If you see them, go get some fire ant killer at Lowes.

witzend

Interesting. I wonder if maybe it was having something cool against it helped, but it wouldn't stay cool so ??? With all the germs on money I am surprised that anyone would suggest applying it to your body, esp if they didn't warn you to wash it first.

Of course I scrubbed it first! (See my post about cashiers wearing surgical gloves.)

witzend

They have all sorts of interesting old timey home remedies. Tony's grandma swore she could remove warts off cows with a penny and she didnt even have to be near the cow. She just drew a picture of a cow, taped a penny to it, folded it up and in a week , the wart was gone. LOL.

If you even think you have fire ants, look for little yellow dirt hills in your yard. If you see them, go get some fire ant killer at Lowes.

Fire ant killer is what we got. I'm going to do a closer inspection today in the full daylight.

DammitJanet

Oh and Witz...those type of folks you asked me about that you wondered about where they were in NC? The ones...ahem...that were so much more obvious in the pacific northwest...well, it appears you somehow summoned them right to Charlotte!

I about laughed my big behind off when I heard where the DNC is being held! I assume you have ordered tickets? LOL

Star*

call 911........call 911
If you think at ALL you may have any type of anaphylaxis or toxic shock (allergic reaction) to these buggers? Take a benadryl, rinse in cold water only or a mild mix of meat tenderizer solution and water, pat dry and get to the hospital. You can try to spray with something like Lanicaine.....but since you in the South honey? KEEP A better first aid kit than a penny. AND watch out for black widows too - it's their time of year.....and just because a black spider doesn't have that tell tale RED hour glass? Doesn't mean it's not a widow. Some have white (juveniles - and some also have salmon color) on their abdomen) - NEVER EVER garden or go to the garage or shed and start moving things without GLOVES!!!!! TRUST this wisdom - widows are typically non-aggressive.....however they love to hide and their webs are uber strong so while you're futzing around trying to get it off your hands and fingers.....(kabam) and they LOVE rocks and crevices.

Also with the amount of rain the Carolinas has had (unusual) critters like copperheads and moccasians are a little displaced - so they may come in land - especially since you live near woods --------they are seeking spots to warm themselves in this time of year before hibernation. NOT ALL SNAKES are bad.....and some keep the wood rat population and cockroach infestation down ----if unsure - call 911 - for wildlife control numbers. NEVER EVER approach (laughs thinking of witz being a snake handler - laughs just a little - more pictures her with a hoe and a attitude)

witzend

Oh and Witz...those type of folks you asked me about that you wondered about where they were in NC? The ones...ahem...that were so much more obvious in the pacific northwest...well, it appears you somehow summoned them right to Charlotte!

I about laughed my big behind off when I heard where the DNC is being held! I assume you have ordered tickets? LOL

Did you not look at my Facebook page? FWIW, you don't "order" tickets, you earn them.

Last edited:

DDD

Wrong, Starbie! ALL SNAKES ARE BAD! I am the old lady of the Board and I "declare" it is true. Stay completely away from the suckers. DDD

InsaneCdn

DDD? I half-ways agree. All snakes are hands-off. Ditto for insects. But... some are actually beneficial. So, I won't say snakes are BAD, but... they'd better stay out of my way, and I'll try to stay out of their way. We have irreconcilable differences.

TerryJ2

I HATE fire ants! They hurt like $*#*.
Perhaps the copper, combined with-the coolness of the penny helped. Depending upon the mint of the penny, as others here pointed out.

I agree with-the Benadryl idea, if you felt achey or dizzy. Looks like you didn't have an allergic reaction, though.

Let's hope they breed with-local ants, like the killer bees did yrs ago with-regular bees, and it cuts down on the sting.

DammitJanet

Sorry witz...havent been on FB in weeks and weeks. I have no clue about the conventions either. I think since I dont donate to my party I will never be invited anywhere. Plus I think my mother informed the FBI that I was a danger to national security so I am probably on some list.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Witz - I don't do FB - they mine for too much information --------and well you know - conspiracy theory and all. (you laugh I work with techy geeky guys all day long that scare the bejeebers out of me with what they can find out) = and NONE of them have a FB page. I used to use mine for coupons.....and I don't think I've been there in months. Besides with my son? I have nothing to say.

HOWEVER - congratulations on earning tickets to the Dem. Nat. Con. (sorry I can not call it the DNC) I think the work that you are doing is phenominal - (we've already talked) lol.

NOW DDD as far as snakes go? I will concede to ONLY your Board Status.. Why just the other day I found a spider in my tub jumping up and down yelling - HEY LADY - can you help a sister out?" and so .... I did. I took her picture too - Amazing creatures. And she went to go live in the dark forest with the others that we CATCH AND RELEASE. I'll try and post her picture later - GOLLY they grow m big here.