First bad day at summer camp.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
May 1, 2009, my wee difficult child had the first of several good days of school.
On May 26, he started a summer day camp program, and had a few minor issues, but overall, was getting along well.
Today, he had a classic meltdown.
He made a cookie for his brother. When he couldn't seem to keep his hands off other people and things, they took his cookie. When he still didn't stop, they ate his cookie. At that point, he raged.
They did not throw him out (yet). They were completely shocked by his behavior during the rage. They were probably also shocked by my non-chalant attitude about it. I should probably practice saying something besides "Yeah, he does that." They are now ready to hear what little we know as far as dealing with him. They are setting up an area in the hall he can go to "hide" when he needs to calm himself.
We will see.
It was a good run.

eekysign

May 1, 2009, my wee difficult child had the first of several good days of school.
On May 26, he started a summer day camp program, and had a few minor issues, but overall, was getting along well.
Today, he had a classic meltdown.
He made a cookie for his brother. When he couldn't seem to keep his hands off other people and things, they took his cookie. When he still didn't stop, they ate his cookie. At that point, he raged.
They did not throw him out (yet). They were completely shocked by his behavior during the rage. They were probably also shocked by my non-chalant attitude about it. I should probably practice saying something besides "Yeah, he does that." They are now ready to hear what little we know as far as dealing with him. They are setting up an area in the hall he can go to "hide" when he needs to calm himself.
We will see.
It was a good run.

Wait, "they" ate his cookie, as in the camp authority figures, or the other kids? Either way, that's a pretty big trigger, yeah? Yikes! Sis would have done the same (raged), and honestly, at that age, I would have been bawling-angry, too. And where was the camp authority figure when he was being inappropriate so many times that the other kids messed with HIS stuff back? I think I'm more disappointed in the camp than in your boy.

I'm glad to hear they're setting up a special place for him. I really, really hope this works out (for both your sakes!).

WSM

I was dismayed that they ate his cookie too.

Are these full adult camp counsellors or teens/college kids?

They shouldn't have eaten his cookie. They could have found another consequence.

That's pretty cold...eating his cooky.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Wait, "they" ate his cookie, as in the camp authority figures, or the other kids?

"They" being the adult camp counselors. Apparently this same tactic worked for other kids. I was pretty appalled, too. We will remake his cookie tonight.

nvts

Hey Shari! They deserve what they got for eating a 7 yr. old's cookie!

Have you checked with your Board of Education? If necessary, you can have a para attend camp with him if you add it to his IEP. It sometimes takes a hearing, but if you have it added it might make the camp keep him longer!

Just a thought!

Beth

susiestar

Roll With It
I would have raged too! They first took his cookie and expected him to be nice about it?? Who are these morons?

Then the adults ATE his cookie and were surprised he had a meltdown?????? He is just a little kid!! The fact that they did it to other kids proves that these "adults" were hired from the Grinch Labor Pool.

I wonder what they would have done if HE ate THEIR cookies?

in my opinion hands on other people's stuff is time to have the child put his/her hands on their head for a while (hands being held on your head can't get into other people's stuff) or a PROPER time out.

Eating his cookie, esp as it was for his brother (and he probably TOLD them that), is NOT a logical consequence. It is NOT reasonable, or even very mature.

Poor difficult child. To me it sounds like these people are in desperate need of training.

And if this camp is owned by someone, complain to them. BIG TIME. Heck, no matter WHO owns it find the top of the food chain and complain. Don't bother with the middle people. Find the big kahuna. If it is through the school then go to the superintendent of schools (esp as his IEP may apply to summer programs as well as reg school). IF this is a locally owned private program, find the owner. Threaten bad publicity (letter to the editor type thing - it could be worded VERY easily to put hte camp in the proper light!)/ If it is run by the city, contact the city council members.

Poor wee difficult child just can't catch a break, can he? Give him a hug for me and tell him that I would have had a meltdown too! And when you next come to town for the dev pediatrician I know the place that has the BEST cookies!

DammitJanet

What is it with people and kids and cookies! Cory almost got arrested when he was 8 because some tech sent him out to her car to bring in her cookies and he dared to eat one!

I thought she had lost her mind because who sends a behavior disordered kid out to their car with keys to get cookies? And who expects said kid to bring the cookies back without sampling them? It seemed like a no brainer to me.

You would have thought he stole her car and went joy riding for hours the way she carried on. He ate one of her precious cookies!

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
They should be ashamed of their infantile behavior., and then they expect a REAL kid to respond in an adult way????AAAACCCKKKK!!!!

Andy

O.K. Eating his cookie is going way too far - so childish on their end. You do not eat a child's cookie or destroy anything of his. I am sure this was done in a revengeful, "Let's see what you will do about this!" sort of way.

No matter what, you do not destroy anything of anyone you are mad or frustrated with. That includes eating a child's cookie. And then wonder why the raging? That is taking disciplining too far. It is an attitude of, "See, I WILL put you in your place. You will NOT have what is yours because of your behavior." Taking something away for awhile is one thing but..... UGH!!! I would rage along with him.

What is it with the "authority figures" in your little guy's school and camp that can not treat a kid with respect? Why are they expecting him to be perfect when no one can?

Giselle

I'm almost more struck that they would eat a cookie that a 7 year old had his grubby hands on. My kid doesn't have the best hygiene habits, despite having a mom who is constantly urging her to wash her hands and not touch dirty things before getting her hands on food again. Kid-made food always makes me a little nervous, but I guess I'm a bit germ-phobic ;)

eekysign

Oh my god. I'm horrified. Knowing that it was the counselors who ate the cookie.....honestly, I'm floored. I'm not a difficult child, and I know, with 100% certainty, that if someone had done that to ME at that age, I would have been absolutely hysterical. And I probably would have gotten violent, trying to stop them from doing it. Especially if it wasn't for me, but was for a loved one. He's only 7 years old!!!! What on earth did they expect???

You call me up, I will come and eat ALL their cookies. See how they like it.:laugh:

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
You know, the amazing thing is, this camp is at the YMCA. It is not in our school district. It is not any of the same people as the private school. Where in the world do you find child care that hires people that have a clue???

That said, he does generally like it there. They stay busy, and he likes the kids. I took a blanket today and they are supposed to allow him to build a fort and hide as needed, so we'll see. Any more of these incidents, tho, and I'll have to find yet another place for him. This is a small, rural area. My options are getting thin!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I'm a reasonably calm person, but if I made a special cookie for someone and they (they being anyone, really) ate it I would probably rage. And I'm an adult...

I want their cookies.