first place to start for a psychiatric evaluation.?

peg2

I am not familiar with adult procedures; as many of you know I had to get a restrainig order against my now 20 year old son. Went to municipal court just last week; I requested no fine, plea bargain to lesser non-criminal charge and just stip that he be ordered into mental health treatment. Judge did that,he is to return to court in 3 weeks. Anyway, I am continuing to assist through my oldest son and I gave a few referrals, but he needs a psychiatric diagnosis as the only one I have is from adolescence. I have a good YMCA contact,could probably refer him to a psychiatricist, but what else would anyone suggest? The psy. out there are awful(here anyway).Idoubt he will follow through as he has not texted my other son back after he was given the referrals, this is a last chance effort!!
Thanks

witzend

Any intake appointment that he has will start with a psychiatric evaluation. It's like taking a medical history. You can't treat the patient until you know what is wrong with them. Usually the first appointment will be an oral history accompanied by an MMPI which the patient can either do in the lobby or take home.

You and your other son can't make him do this. He has the information he needs to get started, he'll have to make the call and get it done. Even you could force him to go, you can't force him to participate. If he wants to change, he will.

peg2

Thank you, I know he has to do it himself, but as his mom, I will not give up. I could not go to court and just let him be sentenced without trying to get to the route of the problem. I don't believe in court ordered treatment either, but I could not live with myself if I did not at least give it one last shot!!!