First Post

C

copykat

Hi everyone! My name is Cheree and I'm a 26 year old single mom of two beautiful little girls. I live in the Detroit area and am a stay at home mom. I suffer from major depression and Borderline (BPD) that earned me a disability check every month (THANK GOD). My oldest daughter Jaylin Rayne (5) is in the process of being diagnosed with O.D.D. and I'm on here because I need some support in dealing with such a difficult child! I'm new to message boards so this will take some getting used to but, I'm excited! Oh, and if anyone can let me know what all the abbreviations mean I would be a whole lot less confused!! Thank you !!!

Cheree

LittleDudesMom

Hi Cheree and welcome to the site!

Look above your posts and you will see some links in bold print across the top (User easy child, FAQ, Social Groups, etc.). Click on the FAQ link and it lists everything you need to know about the site, including how to do a profile signature (which you will click on User easy child to do) like the one at the bottom of my post.

Welcome and have fun learning the board. We look forward to hearing more about your family and having you as a member of ours!

Sharon

Welcome to the board! You have found a soft place to land.

Here's a cup of coffee and a comfy chair. You will not find a more caring group of moms and dads than us here.

Andy

Welcome! Do you have family or friends nearby to watch the girls once in a while so you can have a break?

BusynMember

Hi, Cheree (what a lovely name)! I am going to ask you a few questions that can hopefully help us help you. Maybe you can answer and then do a signature below, like I did. That gives us an overview. I'm in Wisconsin, not too far from Michigan :)

1/Who diagnosed your child, if anyone? Has your child ever had an intensive evaluation at a children's hospital or auniveristy hospital? Do you live near either or do you have access to one? They do some awesome testing.

2/We already know you have some mental health issues, which puts your child at higher risk for the same ones. Do you know about any issues or substance abuse on his bio. dad's side of the family? Any other psychiatric problems on YOUR side of the family?

3/How was her early development? Did she talk on time, make good eye contact with strangers, potty on time, socialize well with peers? Can she transition well? Have any odd habits such as rocking or arm flapping or making mouth noises or high pitch screeches?

ODD rarely stands alone. There is only one chatter here whose child has only been dxd. with ODD. It's a rarity. Usually there is something else going on too that is fueling the ODD behaviors and once THAT disaiblity is taken care of, the ODD gets much better. While you are waiting to get an evaluation, I suggest you read "THe Explosive Child" by Ross Greene for maintenance right now. It is at all bookstores or in the library.

Welcome to the board :)

C

copykat

Seeing all of the replies just brought some major tears to my eyes! I'm glad I found you all. For a long time there I was really starting to believe I was alone in all this!! Here are some answers to the questions you asked....

1/Who diagnosed your child, if anyone? She was seeing social workers through a private agency and after I watched 2 of them be fired that were assigned to my daughter I decided that place was more harm then help so currently were not seeing anyone but her school social worker and the psychologist (meeting on Tuesday..IEP I believe it is) Has your child ever had an intensive evaluation at a children's hospital or auniveristy hospital? She has never been to the hospital but I have been tempted due to the fact she does A LOT of things that are very dangerous (running out in front of cars, taking off running in public places, biting, pinching, hitting people and doesnt seem to know when enough is enough ect) Does anyone on here know anything about the U of M Childrens hospital in Ann Arbor Michigan thats where I was thinking of taking her?

2/We already know you have some mental health issues, which puts your child at higher risk for the same ones. Do you know about any issues or substance abuse on his bio. dad's side of the family? Her father is an alcoholic, has seizures and anxiety, he doesn't come around hardly at all maybe sees his daughter 2x a year so I don't know much about him.

Any other psychiatric problems on YOUR side of the family? My family is all undiagnosed but being in and out of the mental health system since I was a child I can tell you from my opinion that my dad suffered with ODD as a child and still suffers from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) he also has non-hodgkins lymphoma. His mother had a diagnosis of depression and took zoloft for years. My mother has depression as does her mother and my aunt who keeps having these unexplained seizures that I seem to think are somehow related to anxiety.

3/How was her early development? Did she talk on time, make good eye contact with strangers, potty on time, socialize well with peers? Can she transition well? Have any odd habits such as rocking or arm flapping or making mouth noises or high pitch screeches?
She was a very good child, never cried much or anything, developed too fast actually, she was crawling at 5 months and walking by 8. By the time she was around 18 months though I knew there was something wrong. She wouldnt listen to my voice or look at me at all just outright would ignore me and growl and act like a tiger (she STILL does this growling). She started to be diliberately mean at that time, pinching me scratching me screaming at me, she still does some of these behaviors as well. I know a lot of things are normal for a 1 1/2-2 year old, but I knew something wasn't right with my daughter. It got to the point where I couldn't take her anywhere. Her sister was born when she was 15 months so I kind of thought it was maybe a jealousy thing, but I know now it's like a disease.

Do you have family or friends nearby to watch the girls once in a while so you can have a break? My dad lives a few miles away and takes her every weekend.

BusynMember

I think you should take her to Ann Arbor for a neuropsychologist evaluation. University hospitals are usually quite good and "cutting edge." They also usually take Medicaid; I have it for my kids and myself--hub has no insurance through work. There is no way I'd trust social workers or even a plain psychologist for a diagnosis. There are many psychiatric issues in the family and she also has a few red flags for maybe high functioning autism. Ignoring a parent, not answering to name can be a symptom. Does she play with toys? Does she have any strange or odd behaviors such as arm flapping or clicking her tongue or making high pitched noises or rocking or touching everything she sees. Does she make good eye contact with strangers and play appropriately with her peers?
I have a few links you can look at. One is for childhood onset bipolar (see if you see anything) and one is a test for Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)/autism (including Aspergers). Maybe they can help, but nothing NOTHING takes the place of a good, intensive neuropsychologist exam. Good luck :)

www.bpkids.com
http://www.childbrain.com/pddassess.html

C

copykat

I think you should take her to Ann Arbor for a neuropsychologist evaluation. University hospitals are usually quite good and "cutting edge." They also usually take Medicaid; I have it for my kids and myself--hub has no insurance through work. There is no way I'd trust social workers or even a plain psychologist for a diagnosis. There are many psychiatric issues in the family and she also has a few red flags for maybe high functioning autism. Ignoring a parent, not answering to name can be a symptom. Does she play with toys? Does she have any strange or odd behaviors such as arm flapping or clicking her tongue or making high pitched noises or rocking or touching everything she sees. Does she make good eye contact with strangers and play appropriately with her peers?
I have a few links you can look at. One is for childhood onset bipolar (see if you see anything) and one is a test for Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)/autism (including Aspergers). Maybe they can help, but nothing NOTHING takes the place of a good, intensive neuropsychologist exam. Good luck :)

I called her family doctor today and am waiting on a call back. I had to turn around and pick her up from school this morning because she choked a child with a shoelace from her shoes then was hiding under a desk in fetal position growling. I'm getting really scared she is going to hurt someone or herself and there won't be anything I can do to stop this. I feel so guilty keeping her inside her room never going anywhere or anything. I scream all day long. I'm just at rock bottom right now and so so so confused. How can I get her into an inpatient setting will my family doctor send her somewhere for a true evaluation or can I do something myself?