first things first comply with medications

Finally she took her medications a few minutes ago. I am montarily reqrding her. We will do an AA meeting. SAhe will go to vollyball practice. She is out with brother now: hw wants to testdrive a new Nissan.
Without stabilization on the medications (she is bipolar) it is like therapist said today, teasoning with a chimp. She refused tko do therapy today but I went. One day at a time!!! It is exhausting!!!! Compassion

B

bran155

Hang in there girl!! As you know, I have the same problem with my daughter. She just refuses to take her medications!!!

How many days are we celebrating today? Last I remember she was up to 62 days!!!

Bran, I think we are back at 0. I have stopped counting as I suspect she is back to partyng:( even hough she denies it.(of course) She stayed out till 1 last night, 2 Friday night and 10:30 on Thue=rsday. She is hanging with 18 -19 year old guys and she is 15. She flew in rages last week-was vioent to be twice. So that is no sobriety. :( That why I said first thing first: the medication. I am letting the academics go for today. I will do AA with her. She will go to volleyball practice.
I am waffling about suspending cell phone service. One day at a time. Comapssion

B

bran155

I am so sorry Compassion!! She was doing so good for a while there. You are absolutely right about the medications. If there is no medication compliance then everything else falls apart. It's so sad that these kids won't take their gosh darn medications!!! My daughter says that she thinks everybody will think she is crazy if she has to take medications. What she doesn't seem to understand is that people think she is crazy when she is off her medications!!!

Like you said, one day at a time. Sending positive thoughts and a bunch of ((((((HUGS))))))) your way!!!

Hang in there. :)

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
It is a very hard road to walk, having BiPolar (BP). But it doesn't make it OK, to use it as an excuse for being a drug addict or allowing herself to ruin her life! Tell her I said so, another person who has BiPolar (BP). She is giving those of us trying to make it OK to have BiPolar (BP) a bad name!!! I am kind of kidding...
We have to come to terms with our Illness. Yet we have to go easy on ourselves. I think this was the hardest lesson for me, to be kind to myself. To let myself fail and then ask for help.
I was reading an article in BiPolar (BP) Mag the other day by Kay Redfield Jamison, she said we can't get people to finish taking their Antibiotics, how can we expect people who have BiPolar (BP) to be medication compliant?
She said it took her over 15 years to become OK with taking Lithium and accept it. She is a Doctor!
I think reading things like this makes it easier on me when I do stop taking my medications, which I have done in the recent past!
So not just our kids are dumb....
I hope she sees that it is OK to take medications. That it really does make life better. If one isn't doing its job, change that medication.
I will not settle for being a zombie on my medications, let her know she has a choice and life really is more fun when we aren't crazy.
And it is my choice who knows I am on medications.
Hang in there, she will come back. This was just a slip up.

B

bran155

totoro,

I never thought of it that way. I don't ever finish my antibiotics!!! I have a friend who is BiPolar (BP) and I was talking to her about my daughter not wanting to take her medications. She explained to me that once she starts feeling good again that's when she stops taking her medications. I guess once the stability appears the need for medications is gone. I think it is also very hard on these teenagers who don't understand their illness and also the stigma behind having mental illness and needing medication. It's just so hard. I am glad you are doing well. :)

W

Wonderful Family

I've read the book you mentioned, "An Unquiet Mind" by this doctor - it was a real eye opener for those of us that do not have this disorder regarding what it is actually like. Just as important, it shows what can be accomplished in spite of everything if someone really wants to acheive their goals. I found it to be very inspiring.

Thanks so much Totoro. She also has Bipolar I. You made it seem alot cleaer. This is part of the journey to acceptanceYes, it is being diffrent, but she has admitted they make her feel much better and she does not fly into rages. She shared tonight that it wasn't fair she had to work harder on medications to keep a nice weight like watch what you eat and exercise more. You are so rightT., it is a journey of acceptance. You are right, there are choices. Thanks so much for pointing that out, so I donot get pulled into her negative thinking. It is still realtively new for us, the offical diagnosis and the medications. I mean, I am sitll in the process of acceitng it. So, thanks agian for the remnder to be paitent and gentle and compassionate all the way around.
I want to read that book, sounds great.
Compassion