FIVE Bags?

susiestar

Roll With It
We are not big football fans. husband likes it okay, but has never really seemed to want to watch games. He likes working as part of the event staff at the univ football games, but other than that and maybe four times in our 20 yrs has wanted to watch the Superbowl. I think 2 of those were because we went to parties and 2 were because I offered to play willing handmaiden because he was working a lot of hours those years.

I have never understood it, went to a couple of hs and college games (and ran the Texas flag once when I was at UT - which was fun but I was too small to do it safely again - I got sort of tossed and flipped by it, which the fans seemed to like, lol) and at one point tried to learn what was going on but it isn't somethng I really was able to grasp.

None of the kids have ever expressed any interest in watching ANY games, live or on tv.

So is it strange that my husband and kids went and bought FIVE bags of chips "for the game" yesterday? This is in addition to the tortilla chips and pretzels and spicy pretzels we always have on hand? We get pretzels and tortilla chips at Sam's and husband makes spicy pretzels most weeks.

It just seems sort of strange, esp when they had NO intention of actually watching the game.

What am I missing that makes this seems so odd? There HAS to be something that I am missing.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I've no idea, Susie...

The only reason I have even part of a clue was the 5 years Jett played. By 5th grade I finally had figured out what the ref holding his arms up in the air meant.

I still don't much enjoy it... Not my thing. But I have snacks anyway!

S

Signorina

It's a cultural thing -- more than it's a tv show or a football game - Know what I mean?? So, buying salty snacks is like wearing green on St. Patrick's day even though you're not Irish and don't care about saints.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
H and I watched two games this year: the Giant/49ers game and tonight's Superbowl. We were able to put together a small spread of 'game' food, not our ordinary fare. difficult child and E came over for a bit and it was okay fun, but not WOWEEE fun.

I agree that it's more about the traditional festivities surrounding the Superbowl than anything else. Food, Chios, dips, snacks, sodas, etc.

DammitJanet

What a game! Those of you who really dont understand the game might want to just pick up a Football for Dummies book so you understand the basics of the game. It really isnt a hard game if you arent trying to understand all the intricate plays being called in. Those can take years to learn. Having been a coach of a peewee team I know some basic plays but I have no idea of some of the more intricate ones. But I can spot flea flicker, fade around and other basics.

You would know when to cheer and when to yell at the refs for missing a call. And more importantly why.

Football is fun. Grown men get dressed up in tight little pants and play games in all sorts of weather for us. Some of them are mighty fine looking men too! Once you get the hang of this you can play fantasy football...lol. Another wonderful thing.

Neither of my favorite teams played in tonight's game but I was really happy that the game was good and in the end I was thrilled for Eli Manning and that the Giant's won. Especially that he won in the house that Peyton built. Im sure he got tired as hell of hearing that. He can also stop answering the question of is he in the same league as Tom Brady. Yes he is. He has beaten him twice in the Super Bowl.

Food is the best part of the Super Bowl party even if its just your own family. You want to snack your way through the entire thing while you cheer and boo and then laugh at the commercials each year. Did you like the half-time entertainment?

Ahhhh...I cant wait to bring up another generation of football fanatics. Oddly, I became a football fan all on my own in 4th grade. That year I only asked for Miami Dolphin clothes and items for Xmas. My mom had to order them out of the sears catalog. In the boys section.

susiestar

Roll With It
LOL Janet. I love the mental picture of you as a 4th grader going nuts about football. I have looked at the Football for dummies book. It is not written in a language I understand, but I am okay with that. On the very rare occasion that we go to my inlaws for something football related, I stitch and enjoy the company.

They did NOT eat all of the bags but probably only because I hid some of them Way too much junk food for one day, and from past experience I have learned that I do NOT want to deal with the upset stomachs afterward - esp husband's because he whines.

I am glad y'all enjoyed the game!

DammitJanet

I will explain it to you if you want!

We dont do just chips. We do homemade tortilla chips and homemade salsa. I get bags of frozen mozzarella sticks, fried mushrooms, and jalapeno poppers. Sometimes I get wings from Zaxby's. Depends on how many people we have. We didnt do wings this year.

Some years I have done welsh rarebit.

These are good days for us.

I love yelling at the tv and arguing with it over bad calls and when I think they should have called a holding call. I was amazed at the safety on the first play of the game. That would have never happened if they were playing in NE. Not to Tom Brady, the golden boy...lol.

Now I get to wait two weeks for NASCAR to start...yippee! We have decided that we are gonna buy tickets for Darlington for Mother's Day weekend again. We wont have Keyana here but I am gonna go again this year. I think this will be a tradition now. This year Danica Patrick is driving. Im thrilled.

DDD

Maybe there was a need for "bonding" or maybe he decided that it was wise for them to be able to share conversations today at work or school? Family life is interesting, lol. DDD

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I enjoyed playing football in hs, as in tag football, but it gives you the rules and such. It is not something I can sit and watch though.

husband was a football nut, and I do mean nut. He got less interested in later years, but yeah.

This super bowl was quiet and peaceful and no one screaming at the tv set. lol

DammitJanet

Im surprised you didnt watch simply in memory...lol.

Tony and I have decided to do the Darlington Race on Mother's Day which is the one we took Keyana to last year as a new tradition. By the time she comes back it will be something we just do. It will also be something fun again this year. Its relatively cheap and I enjoy it. Im looking forward to it.

susiestar

Roll With It
Janet, I truly appreciate the offer to explain things. Right now isn't the time. Many people have tried to explain football, from my dad to husband to father in law to friends and boyfriends and parents of friends and people I sat near at games in college. It just isn't something that is going to click. I have finally come to terms with the fact that there are some things this brain simply won't process. When I go to football parties (not common now but we used to do this several times a year) or are at my inlaws and they are watching, I just enjoy being around people. It is enough for me.

You are truly sweet to offer though. It is very appreciated.

trinityroyal

Janet, I would love it if you could explain football to me. husband used to play semi-pro, Little easy child is thinking of starting to play, and Tyrannosaur practically takes his little football to bed with him. But I tend not to watch the games because I don't want to be a pest always asking "what was that?" "what just happened?" "what does that mean?"

If I have a starting point, I can at least watch without killing it for everyone else.

And YES, there are some awfully fine looking young men who play football.

DammitJanet

Trinity...I have loved football since I was young. In fact, we had a girls football team when I was in 6th grade and I played on it. I became in love with the game when the Miami Dolphins went to the Super Bowl back to back in the early 70's and had their perfect season that has never been beat. Every year I sit with baited breath to see if anyone is going to beat their record but so far no one has. The Patriots almost did but they lost the Super Bowl that year.

Then when the boys came along, Tony and I coached on their flag football teams. What great memories.

You dont really need to know all the exact plays to enjoy game. You need to know things like the facts that there are 4 quarters and 4 downs. Probably knowing the major types of players would be a good thing.

For the Offense you have your Quarter back which is the really cool looking dude who everyone is always aiming to knock down.

I tell you what...I will do a whole little email for you.

donna723

I did watch the Super Bowl (just for the commercials) but that's the only game I watch all year. Actually I LOATH football! But that's because I associate it so strongly with my ex. When he was around, that's all that was ever on because, of course, HE controlled the remote. It's so bad that all I have to do is hear that theme music and I can almost smell the beer fumes! It's creepy! My stomach starts to tighten up and I feel like if I were to turn around quickly, he'd be sitting right there on the sofa, beer can in hand! Eeewww!

I understand all the little ins and outs of baseball because I was raised on it and lived in a city with a major league team where baseball was more like a religion. But I've had countless people try to explain football to me and I just don't get it ... mostly because I don't really want to get it! While they're trying to explain it, I'm tuning them out and my brain is off in fastasy land somewhere or I'm mentally making out my grocery list because I have no interest in it whatsoever! They're explaining downs and quarters and penalties and I'm just hearing, "Blah blah blah blah ..." It's the same with several other things that people have tried to explain to me over the years that I have no interest in ... like what beats what in poker, or how to read music, or how to work a camera with all those little gibberish settings on them. But then that's just me ...
:bag:

trinityroyal

I tell you what...I will do a whole little email for you.

Janet, that would be GREAT!

husband used to play Offensive Tackle / Defensive Tackle. I know that he was one of the huge guys at the back who was supposed to knock other people down, but that's about the extent of my knowledge.

My biggest problem is knowing where to look. There are so many bright shiny objects on the field at the same time (flags, players, referees, etc.) and I'm distracted by all of them, so I'm usually looking the wrong way and have no idea what just happened or why everyone's cheering. Then I don't want to interrupt by asking questions.

Having the basics explained to me would be wonderful.

InsaneCdn

My biggest problem is knowing where to look.

For non-sports-fans everywhere...
When I was in high school, I told some PE teacher that I wasn't going to the XXX (fill in sport of choice) game to watch, because I couldn't follow the action anyway.
And he said:

In any game that involves an object, just keep your eye in the object. Because THAT is where the real action is.

And in general, it works. Keep your eye on the... football, basketball, volleyball, hockey puck, soccer ball...... You will always know which side has the object, and you will always know when they score. Really... the rest is academic unless you are on the field!

trinityroyal

And in general, it works. Keep your eye on the... football, basketball, volleyball, hockey puck, soccer ball...... You will always know which side has the object, and you will always know when they score. Really... the rest is academic unless you are on the field!

IC, I completely get the concept. I've played tennis, soccer, lacrosse, hockey (both ice and field) and a bunch of other hit-ball-with-stick type sports over the years. Football is different.
The playing surface is a beautiful deep green with stripes that dance before my eyes. There are people dancing around on the sidelines, there are people running around in several different directions, there are refs, and flags and crowds that make all sorts of noises. By the time I've figured out where the ball is, the play is over. It's not so much a follow-the-object problem as an "Oooh, look! A Chicken!" problem. Combined with not knowing any of the rules, plays, or who's supposed to be where doing what.