Flat Broke

JJJ

Well, we are there -- flat broke. The home equity is maxed out. We are living paycheck to paycheck. I was looking for motivation to do the Total Money Makeover and it has been thrust upon me.

husband and I have agreed on a nightly meeting to review what was spent during the day and to plan/revise the plan for the upcoming week. We have been here before, I just hoped never to return but we are slow learners :(

We are not as bad off as others. We are not in current danger of losing our home. For that I am grateful.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
JJJ,

husband & I had been there; it the course of economy over the last few decades. As a matter of communication husband & I vowed to sit down each day & discuss upcoming &/or daily expeditures.

Anything spending over $50 (except groceries or medications) were discussed in advance. AND we cut to the bone. Somehow simplifying our lives made us grow closer even with the stress of financial distress.

Sending positive thoughts that things loosen up for you & husband. You can & will find a way out from under this.

Mattsmom277

I am so glad to hear your home isn't at risk. When it gets tough, hold onto that as a good place to start. You have your home. You have each other. You have communication, hindsight, and a new starting place. Things are hard for so many people and there is a ton of money saving tips in the news, websites etc. It is never fun being broke. We are paycheque to paycheque as well and will be for at least 2 more years until S/O finishes military training. That is also the time difficult child is off to University and we have ZERO money for him. We also are renters, so no home equity to put on the line for his schooling or anything. Stress! I'm feeling you!
Freecycle, coupon websiters, freebies and cheap meal/recipe sites are a great help!!
We've found it can be fun to be broke sometimes. We do things we didn't do before, we spend more time home, and less on "dates". But we can spend a couple hours shopping for, cooking and enjoying a meal together and its often a time full of laughs and we feel closer than having gone out to a movie or a restaurant meal. Theres a silver lining in there if you look for it. Yet I do hope things improve for you. Money issues are very trying emotionally.
(((hugs)))

klmno

I feel your pain. I don't have a job on top of it. While I know this is extremely tough, try to be grateful for the employment and being able to keep your home.

DammitJanet

Im so sorry JJJ. Things are so bad all over right now. So many people seem to be broke or darn near it.

We have lived broke so long its just a way of life for us. I am so thankful we have our house and its paid for. I always figured its a place of refuge for the whole family if worse comes to worse for them. Its not the best but its a roof.

Hopefully things will turn around with this economy soon.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
We aren't far off from that, AND we only have the meager unemployment checks coming in right now. So I sympathize. husband's family seems to think we're pretty well off because of the severence he got, but we have to stretch that for however long it takes him to get another job, and that could be another year from now. Plus, we have high medical expenses, a significant mortgage, heloc loan for an addition we put on 9 years ago, and 3 kids still in school.

These are stressful times to be sure. I hope you're able to rework things so that it doesn't feel so dang tight.

Mattsmom277

Was just thinking of you again, as we are making "breakfast for dinner". We've started doing this once a week since it saves money.
In spite of my earlier more upbeat post, it does suck sometimes being broke. I'd kill for a roast beef dinner right now!

crazymama30

Yep, we are there too. I understand, and it hoovers, or as someone els said, inhales forcefully.

Should we start another thread on ways to save money? It has been done before but could be revisited.

Star*

call 911........call 911
WELCOME TO THE CLUB!!!!!!

(passes generic, hand made, recycled membership card -made from the inside of a cereal box and printed from ink we got picking berries at nature camp) :tongue:

Our Club Motto: I've been doing so much, for so long, with so little, I am now qualified to do practically anything with nothing and make it look like something.

Teaches secret handshake: Make Right or Left hand (depending) Mimicing a scissor cutting every coupon you can out of the Sunday paper.

Creedo: On my honor, I will try, to recycle where I can. To shop the thrify way, to conserve and turn off the air, dress in layers, learn to use puruse Craigslist and Freecycles FREE column, Become a member of the tightwad gazette, to pinch pennies, wash out ziplock baggies, aluminum foil, and to never be embarassed from bending over to pick up that penny in the parking lot whether it be heads or tails up - money found is money.

May you find appreciation once again for the things you may have taken for granted. (it's the best I can offer when things like this happen J3)

Love Ya - 'cause I'm with Janet, I've been poor so long - I'm mad at the rich people who are now invading MY places to shop and have money to buy stuff at the Salvation Army - lol. Talk about rivalry.

JJJ

Well, husband and I had a nice meeting yesterday. We have very little money to get through the next 30 days but we think we can do it. I'm going to get us invited to my mom's and grandma's for dinner a few times (real food - yum!).

Thanks for the coupon sites and other suggestions. This time we will learn, I hope.

N

Nomad

(hugs)

Love the suggestions.....

My son and daughter in law who just got married and grad. from college could only find pt jobs...but have many expenses.

They are doing fairly well...so thrify...I am proud.

Ya know, before they go grocery shopping they go on line and check out those BOGO opps.

Buy one get one...

I am AMAZED at how much STUFF they are picking up!

:D

lizanne2

Yes, it hoovers and hoovers and hoovers.........

Can one OD on peanut butter and jelly? Or ramen noodles?
I am between choosing medications and meals....... it hoovers.

DammitJanet

LOL on the OD'ing on PB and jelly and Ramen Noodles.

When Jamie first went in the Marines and got to his first barracks at Quantico he was so green. He wasnt making squat as a PFC and he had the worst shift. He was supposed to get his meals paid for on the meal plan but with his shift he didnt have the opportunity to get to the chow hall when they were open. Of course, his barracks was really this little room like a college dorm room so there was no kitchen in it. He had a little dorm sized fridge and a tiny microwave and a hotplate. He washed his dishes in the bathroom sink. He lived off ramen noodles, PB, hot dogs, and baked potatos. When he felt ambitious he would buy some frozen brocolli and cheese and put that on top of the baked potato...lol.

klmno

Janet, you are bring back such memories! We had boxed mac& cheese in the barracks a hundred times. As a treat we'd have hot dogs with it! When we got brave enough to break a rule, we bought a small toaster oven to cook in!

susiestar

Roll With It
Is this the Dave Ramsay program? One of the church's here offers it. You do have to pay, but you get a LOT of support from people who have gone through it. I don't go to that church but anyone is welcome. I am trying to get husband to agree. they do charge $95. they found that if people don't pay something they don't follow through.

My bro started it and it has made a HUGE difference in his life. He just took his first vacation with his daughter. He said they got a little off track during the vacation but they had the money in the bank to cover all the costs including the extra ones!

We will be doing it soon. Good luck!

JJJ

Thanks all.

It is the Dave Ramsey program. Today I canceled some things and got invited to my mom's and my grandma's for dinner so we will have one "real" meal each week :)

Of course, every kid brought home a slip from school needing money for something.

The hardest part is we can't eat Mac & Cheese and Raman because we are on the gluten-free, casein-free all-natural diet. And the improvement in life is huge and I'll start using credit cards again before we quit eating this way.