Flat Broke

Abbey

Spork Queen
Same boat. A few things I've found that are wonderful. You just have to suck your pride in and do it.

#1 - most grocery stores have a 'damaged' section. It's usually hidden in the back of the store. Just ask a manager. Most people don't use it as they think items are expired. That is not true. They are a few days from being expired...but heck - mac and cheese tastes the same 2 days before expiration than it was brand new. I'll even find milk in the cooler. At the rate I go through milk, 2 days out is great!! It will be gone tomorrow anyways. I find things that on the shelf were $2.49 and now are 10 cents. The store just wants to move them.

#2 - Many shelters provide fresh food bins every morning. I have one in walking distance here. I ONLY use it when needed, but locals bring in produce they've grown in their garden that they can't eat...too much for them, canned goods, pasta, bread, etc. Lots of grocery stores contribute on a daily basis. I've seen more than once waiting with a few others as the 'vendors' arrive each morning and bring bags of things that the volunteers seperate and people politely take only what they need. You don't always get what you want, but at least it's food.

I live in an older community city where it has been a ritual of life for 40 years for the family, which is reduced to grandma and grandpa grow these massive gardens. They're too old to can, so daily they pick off what they need and bring the rest to the shelter. The BEST produce. Bless their hearts.

Bread is a BIG one. It has a short shelf life, so they need to move it. If your family eats a lot of bread...go for it. I get one and freeze it.

Just some ideas.

Abbey

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
JJJ

I didn't read all the replies. But squeeze every penny until it screams. And sadly, that might not even help a whole lot.

husband and I were barely surviving paycheck to paycheck........sometimes the money never made it past the first weekend after payday due to bills that were due. That was with squeezing every penny until it screamed. Now that husband is unemployed, we face losing our home. Thankfully it looks as if he will get unemployment, but it's not gonna be much, and gonna hurt us trying to meet bills we were having trouble paying before he lost his job.

Word of advice. Sit down and think of everything you have, what can you do without, what you absolutely have to have. Just 2 lists. Anything that doesn't fall under absolutely have to have is now a luxury and should be dumped asap. This helped us some.........but now not so much. sigh

Don't know if anyone told you about this so I will anyway. Go to AngelfoodMinistries.com . They sell quality food at dirt cheap prices. Nichole and I will be picking up orders that would cost us 100.00 or more at wallie world for 30 bucks this saturday. They have pick up locations all over the country and most likely have one close to you as well. (especially if we have one here in this dinky very rural town) It will really help you out with groceries. :)

You're in good company dear. Right now.........I'm hoping we can go back to Paycheck to paycheck......it's much better than where we are now, and I swear I will not compain about it again. LOL

(((hugs)))