Flatulence

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Since when did it become ok to just fart whenever/wherever out in public?

The lady across from me at work farts all the time.

I was at Penney's today buying shoes. Someone walking down the hallway in the women's department farted.

Ten years ago, I'd have thought these people would be mortified. They don't even seem to notice, let alone care.

I don't guess it really bothers me. Its just...different. I've witnessed it a lot lately....

muttmeister

I've noticed it too. I thought it was just a sign I was old and out of it. When I was growing up, if you did that by accident, you would be mortified to death and everybody would make fun of you and you'd be one of "those" people.:surprise: Now, I notice kids at school when I sub seem to do it on purpose (the girls are just as bad or worse than the boys) and it's like a contest to see whose is the worst. Yes, they receive consequences but that doesn't seem to stop it. And out in public it is terrible. I hesitate to call it a lack of standards or say that things are getting worse but they sure have changed and, as far as I'm concerned, not for the better.

Jody

About 10 years ago, I was at a popular food store, and there was an older man standing next to me bagging his groceries. Probably in his late 60's maybe. Nice as can be, but all of a sudden he bent over to get a paper bag and farted like you have never heard. Everything in the entire store stopped. I was standing next to him and feared that they would look at me but it was so loud that everyone knew where it had come from, gross, I know but it was loud and a long one. Well everything was quiet and we really just couldn't believe it. He just kept on packing his groceries and walked on out as if it never happened. Now people do it anywhere and everywhere. I hate it when I get on an elevator and someone has left there nasty smell waiting for he next person. Disgusting.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
When I first got together with husband it was a contest between him and the kids. I think it's in incredibly poor taste and I try very hard to put a stop to it. So mostly, it doesn't happen in my house. Mostly.

susiestar

Roll With It
If you give her some beano it will prevent a lot of them. Add the gas x to it and it will mostly be controlled. IF she uses them.

Just make sure no one sees you put them there!

CrazyinVA

Staff member
The only comment I have is that some people with bowel issues have trouble controlling their flatulence. Oldest used to be quite embarrassed by it back in the day, especially because sometimes it was accompanied by an "accident."

That being said, there are many, many others that just don't care and are rude about it. Ick.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I have issues secondary to extensive bowel surgery (due to an obstruction and surgery) and when I gotta, I gotta. I am also lactose intolerant. I use gas-x and lactaid and it seems to help with that.

There are times when I just can't help it. I was taught to excuse myself if it happened in company with others, public or otherwise. There's nothing I can do about it.

husband and I used to joke about our relationship finally reaching a comfortable level when we'd fart around each other. I do try to make it to a public restroom if out, but sometimes there's nothing I can do about it.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I thought about someone having issues, and like other things, understand that "it happens" sometimes. But it just seems to be everywhere these days!

And I know my coworker doesn't have any issues. She's very open about the issues she has and this isn't one of them. She just doesn't care.

KTMom91

The kids in class will call each other on it, and then I have to calm them down after the accusations and denials have flown around the room. Kindergarteners, however, don't lie. One little darling let a HUGE one rip...I was amazed that such a little guy could make that much noise. When his buddy asked him, "Davey, did you fart?", Davey actually admitted it. Of course, then I had to calm the comments about how stinky it was.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I have to laugh about the little kids. I live alone so all bets are off when it's just me. I've had the cat give me an indignant glare and bail off my lap.

When my dog was a puppy, he BARKED at my butt a couple of times.

I figure he should talk, before I put him on a raw, grainfree diet, he could really let 'em rip,

muttmeister

the dog stories reminded me of the little toy poodle I used to have. Whenever she farted, she'd jump up and look behind her like she was saying "What was that and who did it?":laugh:

KTMom91

mutt, my mom's cocker spaniel used to do that, too. She'd glare at her little stub tail with such an irritated expression, like "How DARE you do that???"

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I told you all about Wee's pony didn't I? Seemed to be broke to death on our little ride to town...til he farted and scared himself so bad he tried to run away?!!?

Wee reined him in and, very proudly announced that his pony has rocket boosters.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
My cat goes out and at this time of year he eats a lot of doves. Dove meat is very rich and it gives him horrible gas. Many years back I had a top show male cat of mine on the judging table and went off on a "health" lesson. She happened to mention that it was supposedly very difficult for cats to pass gas. "
Lunk" (NOT his show name but it fit) promptly let one fly, Not only was it audible but it stank to the heavens.

My current cat who is a blue point DSH, basically a rescued street cat with a lot of Siamese in the woodpile, likes to sleep with his rearend practically in my face...really charming when he's windy,

DammitJanet

My grandmother was an older, fairly deaf woman who refused to wear hearing aides. She was walking around the grocery store one day and stopped in the dairy isle to get some eggs. As she bent over to get the carton....it happened. This sudden gurgling, ripping, roaring pffffffffffffffffffffffffftttttttttttttttttttttt came out of her and with it the most atrocious, hideous, awful stench that reminded one of raw eggs surrounded by sewage. My mother and I were trying to distance ourselves from her. She just turned her head left and right and declared loudly:

"we must get out of here, something stinks!"

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Before difficult child was tested for lactose intolerance her nickname was "Airbag" - seriously, she let them fly wherever we were, dinner, out with friends, everywhere!

My mother apparently also has some food intolerances going on because she really could let them rip at times, all the time. She used say, "oops sorry, I must have stepped on a frog"!!! Hahaha, I can laugh now, but man was that embarrassing when she'd let loose with a friend visiting. Ugh.

And my exh, he used to lift his butt a little, as if the air bisquit needed to get outta there! And he thought, of course, that he was hysterical.

easy child always looked shocked when she farts - as if, "OMG, what was that?" and looks at all of us! lol.

And me? Well, a lady never passes gas in public. ;)

muttmeister

I think as you get older, your digestion or whatever must change. I had an aunt who lived to be 95. She was very proper and, when she was younger, if her daughter had let one fly, the daughter would have been severely punished. But once my aunt reached her late 80s, she'd let one go often. Many times it was when she was getting up or down or out of the car or something like that. I honestly don't think she knew she was doing it. She never made any mention or acted like she knew what she did. Maybe she was just ignoring it but I really think she didn't know. I hope I don't reach that state.

Jo, the story about your ex is funny. It reminds me of a joke my uncle used to tell. The old man went to the nursing home and his son went to visit him. While the son was there, the man appeared to fall over to the left and a nurse came and immediately straightened him back up. Then he appeared to fall over to the right and another nurse appeared and put him upright again. That happened several times. In the course of the conversation the son asked, "How do you like it here?" The old man replied, "It would be great, if only they'd let me fa*t." :laugh: