Flu advice welcome

This is the second day. I know to drink liquids and rest. Honestly, I am in pain and can only lay here. Does anyone know how long this will last? The crazy thing is I had the flu shot in August.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I read that the flu shot is only about 60% effective, because it is the strains of the flu that the manufacturers think are most likely. So... You probably got a strain that wasn't covered.

Anyway, what Janet said. Doctor. ASAP! This flu season is horrible. I'm trying to keep Meggie away from too many people. So - after you go see the doctor, then lots of chicken broth, hot tea (especially decaf) with lemon & honey, and SLEEP.

InsaneCdn

Drink, drink, drink.
Oh, and did I mention... drink?

Even your solids should be "liquid"... like chicken noodle soup. But DO eat something, if you can keep it down.
Warm apple juice.
Careful with "lemon" if you are nauseated.
Herbal tea... especially peppermint or chamomile, which seem to be soothing somehow, esp with a bit of honey.

DammitJanet

I have always found this old home remedy helpful even though it sounds weird.

chicken broth
slice of ginger root
1 dried red pepper pod.

bring all of the above to a boil and then let simmer for about 10-20 minutes so the spices can get all in the broth. Take out the ginger root and the red pepper pod. Let the broth cool enough that you can sip it like tea.

It soothes the throat and opens the sinuses because of the spices.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
If someone can get it for you, have them hit up a health food store and buy you some Fire Cider...you can also do a search on google for their website to find out more info.

I try to take raw apple cider vinegar everyday. When I'm feeling under the weather, I take about 6oz hot water, add a squeeze of lemon, a dropper of echinachea tincture, two tbs of raw cider vinegar and a bit of raw honey first thing in the morning, midday and in the evening.

A bath with Epsom salts will soothe your aching muscles...add some olive oil to moisten your skin or some herbal oil if you have it. Turn out the lights and light a few candles to relax yourself.

Hydrate, chicken soup, rest...

I'm not sure of it is too late for Tamiflu, but it's worth calling to see!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Honestly, I wouldn't bother either the doctor or with the tamiflu. They've proven it honestly doesn't do much......viruses are evolving and it isn't. Know what I mean?? Unless you really can't cough the stuff up or are having an unusually high temp you can't get under control or have the symptoms of dehydration, stay clear of the doctor/ER.

Why? (because going to the doctor sounds reasonable) Because not only are you going to expose every patient in the waiting room with the flu, but you're going to expose yourself in a weakened immune condition to everything anyone else in that waiting room has that has brought them in to see the doctor. Not a good idea. It increases your chances for a secondary infection, not good.

Stay in bed, take plenty of naps. Drink plenty of water, not just fluids, water. Eat something each meal even though you might not be hungry. (body needs the fuel to do it's job) Nap. Fluids. Nap. Yes, I know I'm repeating myself. That is how important it is.

The biggest thing they don't tell you about the flu shot is........it's a crapshoot. They pick what they think has a high chance of being the most popular one, trouble is they're usually wrong and it's some other strand. Not to mention........there are a wide variety of flu viruses out there at any given time. And even if the shot contained the strain you caught, doesn't mean you can't catch it. Vaccines don't always work as well as they're supposed to. Even though I got a shot this year, I stay away from anyone with cold symptoms.....or who even looks like they *might* be coming down with something.

I hope you feel better soon.

((hugs))

I went to the dr. He said I have the flu and a sinus infection. He gave me Levaquin but not Tamaflu. My eyeballs and teeth hurt. I'm glad I listened to you and went there. I don't have the ingredients to make the other cococtions but thanks for them anyway.:)