Flu shots....

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
I saw GP yesterday & was informed that I need to get the flu shot as well as the pneumonia & the swine flu shot when it comes in.

She's waiting for the state guidelines & the delivery of these medications.

So how about you? Are you going to take the flu shot? I never did before this illness - now it seems to be a necessity.

flutterby

Fly away!
I got flu shots several years ago when my employer offered them on site, but haven't had one since.

I'm supposed to get a flu shot and the pneumonia shot because of my heart disease. I haven't gotten either in the last 2 years (I think the pneumonia shot is every 3 years?).

I will probably get the swine flu shot this year, as well as the others. Apparently the younger generations are more susceptible to swine flu than older generations - not what they're used to seeing - and it seems it has the potential to be pretty nasty. In fact, this is the first flu shot (swine flu) I ever remember seeing where senior citizens are not considered among the first in line to receive the vaccination.

It's a necessity for me, too.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I get a flu shot every year due to being an asthmatic. My Dr has never suggested the pneumonia shot - said that it's not necessary yet.

I'm not sure if I will get the swine flu shot.

I have found that the years I get the flu shot that any little thing I happen to catch is almost insignificant. The one year I skipped the shot, I caught every bug and got the worst flu ever! I couldn't breathe after only ONE day!! It was awful. I even make my girls get the shot. My H thinks I'm nuts.

M

ML

Due to manster asthma and husband's Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) they will get all the shots. I don't know if I will or not.

tiredmommy

I've received the flu shot most years except a few when there have been extreme shortages. I spend a lot of time around young children (AKA germ mongers) so it's just prudent. I'll also get the swine flu shots if I'm eligible. The biggest benefit is to my family and the seniors at church (I won't infect them). Duckie will also receive the regular flu shot, the swine flu shot and the swine flu booster per doctor orders.

crazymama30

I get the flu shot every year thru my employer (a hospital) as there are so many bugs there. It also helps that they are free to employees. Don't know if I would get it if I had to pay for it. Probably not. Especially if I had to wait in those horrendous lines~

susiestar

Roll With It
We ALL get the flu shot and pneumonia shots every year. husband is the only one who does not qualify for them even in the tightest years. He gets them so he doesn't bring anything home to me. Even with the shots I never get the full immunity others get.

He got pneumonia three years in a row and now qualifies for even times of shortage. We almost lost him each of those times.

Our town does free flu shots for adults - drive by ones!! The hospital sets up tents and volunteers come out to help with paperwork, free donuts and coffee and muffins, and even the pharmacutical reps give coloring books to kids who are in line with their parents.

Yes, our town has drive by shots! Good ones!

I often just get them from whatever doctor I see because our insurance will pay 100% of them. That way the drive bys are more available to those who cannot afford them.

Kids all can go to one of the medical practices and they get free shots. Those with insurance that will pay are billed, those with-o the insurance are not billed. Our health dept stopped offering them a long time ago so the medical community pays for the kids' shots who cannot afford them.

It is a nice town.

DammitJanet

Well since my calamity last year I will be getting everything offered. I think while in the hospital I had two or three flu shots and then when I got out I had a pnuemococal shot plus another one that I cant remember. They just shot me up with everything!

I think they will be inclined to give me whatever they can this year, probably.

lmf64

I get the shots, not for my protection, but for those around me. I was hoping I wouldn't have to get the flu shot this year, as my parents are leaving for AZ very early and I'm not working with the public anymore, but I guess I better anyway. I have a niece and nephew whom I love dearly and I will not take the chance of getting them sick. difficult child gets the flu shot yearly. I asked his gp last week if he should get the meningitus (sp) shot and he said not until and unless he will be living in a dorm type atmosphere. Okay, so unless I send him to boot camp he doesn't need it lol.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Yep. I get the flu shot every year. Last year I also got the pneumonia shot. I'll get whatever shots are out there again this year.

Suz

KTMom91

I get the flu shot every year. Working in a different classroom, in a different school, every day multiplies the amount of "kid cooties" I'm exposed to. Just think...working five days exposes me to at least 100 kids. Multiply that by the 10-15 days I usually work in a month...I'm surprised I don't get sick more often.

susiestar

Roll With It
I remember the oral polio vaccine. It had a live but supposedly weakened virus. If we had given it to Wiz neither my mom nor I could even hug him for six weeks. Mom and Dad lived 8 tenths of a mile down the road and drove past our house on the way to and from work every day. Mom stopped in after work at least 5 days a week.

No way was I going to do the live vaccine. Mom even offered to pay for the shot.

The doctor we saw couldn't even order the vaccine. Only the health dept could. It took weeks and a TON of paperwork, including some from my doctor and my mom's doctor, to get the shots approved. Luckily the state paid for it. Only three people in the state got the dead virus shot that year.

We had several cases of polio in older people and moms with compromised immune systems. Most did a lot of damage because no one had ever really seen polio firsthand but a couple of the older docs.

So I ask a LOT of questions about the vaccines. I have never gotten a good answer as to why thimerosol and other possibly dangerous compounds are in the vaccines, but we get them anyway.

Wiped Out

Staff member
I probably will get both the Swine flu and regular flu shot. Due to my Addison's Disease it is recommended I get them.

everywoman

I know I will get both the flu and pneumonia shot. My last bout with pneumonia just about did me in---9 days in isolation in the hospital is not an experience I ever want to repeat---neither is the coughing up of blood---absolutely gross. I learned my lesson that year very well, and I will never miss another shot.

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
Seems I am a minority. I have never gotten the flu or any other shot since I can remember. I do get the tetnus boosters but vaccines of other sorts I stopped getting years ago. I have always been relatively healthy and in that age group that it would cost me a fortune to get them and thus far it has seemed prudent to do it. Not sure if I will change my attitude now that I work more in the public or not.

witzend

I will get both. I have an annual in a couple of weeks and will get the regular flu shot. My pneumonia should still be good, but I'll ask. I got it in 2002. I think that they are good for ten years. I will also get the h1n1 when the time comes. With my Muscular Dystrophy I am on the list.