Folliculitis

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
For the past couple of months, give or take one...I have had this strange rash on the back of my legs. Like pimples, but not pimples, just bumps. They bother me, so I scratch at them. Well, stupid me, I now have a bacterial infection in my follicles. Can you spell G R O S S?

I thought it was just ingrown hairs so I stopped shaving the backs of my legs. That didn't help. Then, two weeks ago I went to the walk in for a sinus infection and meant to have the PA look at my legs but I was wearing a thong and they made me put on a gown instead of just pulling up my shorts, so I scrapped that idea. I went back to the walk in to have my sinuses checked again and decided to have the bumps checked out. I was wearing shorts and was able to just pull them up. The PA said I have folliculitis and prescribed me some bacterial cream to put on three times a day. Fun.

The first thing he asked me was if I'd been in a hot tub. The last type of pool I've been in is the heated therapy pool for rehab. I wonder if that's where I got it from.

Tomorrow we are bring mother in law to fire island and staying over night. I will have to wear a bathing suit. The back of my legs are all scarred and ugly from this hideous infection...I wish I didn't have to bare them.

I begged easy child to smother me in my sleep tonight. I'd rather just stay home, let H and his mom go and use the next two days to unwind from her visit, but apparently I have to go. Ugh.

This rash is so ugly. Not painful, not itchy, just annoying and ugly as sin.

nvts

If I didn't want to go, I'd look at this like a glorious opportunity rather than a curse...ahem "The PA said that I need to spend as much time lying on my stomach and to keep the area dry...therefore, I can't sit in the car and take a chance at the backs of my legs sweating AND I can't swim". They leave, you sit and relax at home with YOUR feet on YOUR furniture.

Yes...I'm back :) Beth

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Um......next time you want to get rid of those little bumps? Go lie in the sun a while each day, or sit in the sun. No clue why but it works. Might help even with the bacterial infection. :)

And yes, I discovered this by accident. LOL

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Lisa, that would be the only upside to going to the ocean...salt water. I keep saying that to myself...saltwater heals everything. Maybe it will help heal the hideous bumps and scars on my legs as well as the balance of my sinus infection. One can hope.

Nancy

My sister in law and her husband got a hit tub and soon after she developed a rash much like you described. I believe it was diagnosed the same as yours. She said hers was painful though and very ugly. She had to stop using the hot tub and it took quite a while for the rash to go away. Made me never want to get a hot tub.

Nancy

witzend

A little diluted white vinegar will do the trick, too. FWIW, don't feel too badly, everyone carries this bacteria on their skin. It's possible that you scratched an ingrown hair or bug bite and got a little too vigorous and let the bacteria get under the skin.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
A little diluted white vinegar will do the trick, too. FWIW, don't feel too badly, everyone carries this bacteria on their skin. It's possible that you scratched an ingrown hair or bug bite and got a little too vigorous and let the bacteria get under the skin.

I think that is exactly what happened! I I have been washing the area three times a day, then using witch hazel as an astringent, which dr said was good. And now I have the Bactroban cream...I sure hope it works fast!

witzend

I think that is exactly what happened! I I have been washing the area three times a day, then using witch hazel as an astringent, which dr said was good. And now I have the Bactroban cream...I sure hope it works fast!

Bactobran should work well. Keep the area clean and dry. You can also use Hydrogen Peroxide in the future if you think that you might be flaring up again. Unfortunately, it seems as though once you get this you're more susceptible to it.