Follow up, my doctor appointment and new medications for anxiety

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by tinamarie1, May 23, 2008.

1. tinamarie1

tinamarie1 Member

Ok, so remember a few days ago I was being a whiny baby to husband and hoping that when i went to the doctor this week he would take me off of Busbar and put me on Ativan. husband being a nurse said that he didn't think that would happen because Ativan is a narcotic, addictive blah blah.
    So, I went to the doctor Weds. and he put me on Celexa and also Ativan as needed. He told me he doesn't want Ativan to be a permenant fix for me, just when I absolutely need it. He gave me 30 + a refill. I told my doctor what husband said and he said it is not really addictive, not like Xanax.
    I haven't taken the Ativan since I saw him, just the celexa. I feel a little foggy, I guess thats what its supposed to do? and also haven't felt like benge eating like i have been. I wonder if it is sort of an appetite supressant?

2. Shari

Shari IsItFridayYet?

I hope it works!

3. TerryJ2

TerryJ2 Well-Known Member

Glad you got it straightened out. Looks like you have some solid info to work with-, too. Best of luck. I hope you continue to feel better. It really makes a difference.

4. Sara PA

Sara PA New Member

Ativan is a benzodiazepine, just like Xanax, and has all the same side effects and risks including addiction. In fact, it has a relatively high addiction risk compared to others in the benzodiazepine class of drugs.

5. Wiped Out

Wiped Out Well-Known Member Staff Member

Hoping it helps! Hugs.

6. tinamarie1

tinamarie1 Member

Sara, I was just curious, are you a doctor or nurse? Please don't take it the wrong way, but I have noticed in many posts you give medical advice or drug information. And its usually contrary to what someones doctor has told them.
    Just curious...

7. Big Bad Kitty

Big Bad Kitty lolcat

Tina,

Here is hoping that you are on the right track. Lots of hugs and prayers your way.