Follow up POLL - waking up for school

busywend

If your teen typically got up for school each morning on their own, but one morning was not awake - would you leave for work while they were still asleep? To make them more responsible?

easy child or difficult child? Ever?

TerryJ2

Yes, we will do that at some point with-easy child. Haven't had to do it yet, though.
with-difficult child, we give him a warning, that he is welcome to oversleep (he's awake but won't get up) but he will not be able to play with-his friends or go to baseball. When he's older we won't give him the warning.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
While I don't have teens YET!!!
I do remember being a difficult child teen and living with just my Father, I was 13-17. I don't think he would have ever thought to wake me?!?!?

What drove me to be on time and get up was my own anxiety and need to be away from the house.
School was my refuge and my sanctuary... I didn't really have to go. But I wanted to. I wasn't the most popular or any of that... but it felt safe.

My home life wasn't horrible, but it was chaos, lots of drugs... my Dad was gone a lot and would have to go to Mexico to "pick something up" end up gone for 3 months... so I think school offered me structure and stability.

K

Kjs

I am at work and husband leaves when difficult child is sleeping. Back when easy child was in school, I had to be to work at 5am. I left. The kids get a phone call, get up, ready for school on their own. easy child had to walk, difficult child gets a ride. The days I have off, I wake him, cook him breakfast and drive. Not nearly the fight this year as in prior years with getting up.

meowbunny

Since this is atypical, I'd wake said teen up. If it was a regular thing and it was something you hated doing, I'd let said teen sleep.

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
I am curious about this question. If I thought that it was just an oversite I would wake them before I leave. I mean I have accidentally turned off the alarm. We all make mistakes. If it became a habit then we would revisit the problem.

Now if you are asking would I wake up said child before I leave for work and it is not the normal time for her to be up. No I would not wake as she is usually good about it.

Wasn't sure which way you were asking this one.

Beth

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I am soooooooo MEAN.

I didn't work. When Travis would wake up late..... Yep, usually I'd leave him alone..... I'd STILL make him walk the mile to school.

:rofl:

SnowAngel

Absolutely. These are kids learning to be responsible young adults. Are you going to make sure they are up for work when they have moved out? Consequences are tough, but they learn from them. Let them sleep and take responsibility for their own actions. Otherwise you have added another responsibility to add to your all ready full plate.

Fran

Former desparate mom
As a courtesy I would wake them. Why wouldn't you? You are talking about once in a while?
It would not dawn on me to not make sure they are where they need to be. They are still works in progress. Not adults. Even adults sleep through the alarm. If there is a different dynamic than difficult child sleeping through the alarm, I don't see it. A family helps each other.

Wendy, I see this as a huge Basket C issue.

helpmehelphim

These are kids learning to be responsible young adults. Are you going to make sure they are up for work when they have moved out?

But they aren't adults and they haven't moved out. And there are times that I wake my husband who works outside the home while I work inside the home. I think when we help each other, we develop trust and that leads to getting help back. I don't see what letting someone over sleep and start their day out with anxiety and frustration could benefit? I'm not sure that all people learn through suffering. I suppose some do.

Wiped Out

Staff member
I would wake easy child up (and difficult child too when he gets to that age if he ever sleeps in). With my kids it would be unusual for them not to wake up and I would want to make sure they are o.k. I have to drive easy child to school because we have her at a school across town. I think I would, however, leave her at home if she isn't ready on time. She does this often and it would be a way I think for her to learn natural consequences of not being ready on time. Of course, I haven't done it yet.