Food Allergy Alert Idea-Need Opinions

susiestar

Roll With It
Gosh, he is really giving you fits. I see no reason the lanyard would be a bad idea IF you can keep it on him. He will understand what it means and try to ditch it immediately.

Dairy is a tricky issue. My kiddoes are fine with skim milk, but react much like your son to milk that is higher in fat, even 2%.

The school needs to have a monitor with him. Staffing this is not your problem, even bringing it up to you is against the law. The doctor needs to write a prescription, at which time you will go to the nurse and work up a plan. You will have to work with the cafeteria manager to get all the paperwork. They may need to post a picture of your son for a while until ALL the staff know about him.

This is a medical issue, not something the school can play around with. Your son seems to NEED someone with him at lunch and snack times to monitor him. You will probably have to push for it.

Hugs,

Susie

AllStressedOut

I'm going to hope for the best with the allergist and hope the actual doctor is more informative than the person who answered his phone today. She really would have preferred to not be bothered by silly old me who has questions when she is going to be poking and prodding my 7 year old. *rolling my eyes* I'll let ya'll know what happens with that Monday. Tomorrow is the 504 meeting and I plan to let them know if he sneaks food again, that I will request he have someone watching him full time during food times both snack and lunch time.

by the way, his teacher wouldn't let him have his afternoon snack yesterday because it wouldn't be fair to the other kids in the class. I checked out his old 504 and they didn't list his snacks on there! GRRR! So I'm going to talk to his new psychiatrist on 9/18 and see if he can write a letter asking for this. The old psychiatrist is sending us his 6 hour glucose test and I'm going to have the new psychiatrist review it. If he agrees he needs to be on a special diet, we'll keep him on it and we'll fight for the afternoon snack. I explained to her this was for her benefit, because he gets moody and has a harder time paying attention when he's hungry, but she seemed adament (sp?) that he not eat a snack without a doctor's note ordering her to let him. GEEEZ!