Food processor

Fran

Former desparate mom
Anyone have any recommendations? I had a good one but the engine died. I prefer less complicated but well made.

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Jamie bought me a Kitchenaid a year or so ago and I love it. Its heavy duty, and three buttons :) easy to clean. Came with three blades and two discs and a mini bowl. They had a variety of discs you can get for it but so far I only really need the two it came with.

Marcie

Lothlorien

I have a Kitchenaid also. I like it. I saw the new Bobby Flay one on TV last night and went ooooooooooh! It's at Kohls. What I liked about it is that it has a drawer on the bottom that you can put the blades in.

I couldn't find the Bobby Flay one on the Kohls site.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Thanks Loth.
I have a 90.00 kohl's dollars coupon that I can put towards a new food processor. Yay!
I need to grind nuts. LOL.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I have an older Cuisinart that mother in law gave me and I love. Although I may need to replace soon. It has one "button", more of a lever, and it's the middle size.

Due to this being the first year I've gone bonkers with Christmas baking, I noticed the other night while pulverizing apples that I can smell the motor. Uh oh. Of course, the poor thing has helped me make 18 jars of applesauce in the last week, plus 3 boxes of crushed vanilla wafers, two pounds of crushed nuts (pecans and walnuts), and three bags of pulverized coconut.

A couple of years ago I used it to shred about 150 zucchini for freezing, for zucchini bread.

I've also used the small blade to mix bread dough; grater to shred cheese; slicer for potatoes au gratin...

I love my Cuisinart!

Lothlorien

I had a really old one that my mother in law gave me and you could smell the motor when I made cookies with almond paste. The almond paste is hard and really worked the motor. So after one Christmas, after making a ton of pignoli cookies, it died. husband got me the Kitchenaid processor for my birthday.

mstang67chic

Going Green
Thanks Loth.
I have a 90.00 kohl's dollars coupon that I can put towards a new food processor. Yay!
I need to grind nuts. LOL.

Huh. Did someone tick you off too Fran? I feel like doing that a lot around here.

I know....off to the corner I go with my stash of Brach's chocolate stars that I've been buying like crazy since they are out for the holiday's. :bigsmile:

susiestar

Roll With It
I still swear by Cuisinart. I got one as a wedding present and it worked until I gave it to my bro. He dropped it and then tried telling me it was broken before I gave it to him and I owed him a new one. Nope. I only gave it away because husband got a larger one for me. The larger one is incredible! I can do all sorts of stuff in it.

If you use the food processor, you may want to try these three cookbooks, they are amazing: Desserts in Half the Time by Linda West Eckhart and Diana Colllingwood Butts, Bread in Half the Time by Eckhart and Butts, and Cakes from Scratch in Half the Time, all by Linda West Eckhart and James Baigrie.

Each book uses the food processor, microwave, and other appliances to make the items far faster than usual. Even if you don't follow the methods completely the results are great and are faster than the "normal" way.

I highly recommend the books, and the cuisinart!

smallworld

I got my Cuisinart for a wedding present 17 years ago. It's still running strong. It's the 11-cup model. I do love it, but IF it ever dies, I'd spring for the 14-cup model since I do a ton of cooking.

Fran

Former desparate mom
stang, I must say that I laughed out loud. I have my days when it seems like a reasonable idea. :devil:

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Love my cuisinart! They have a new one that holds the blade in place so it doesn't fall out when you are dumping the "nuts".
I swear by my Kitchen-aide stand mixer and my cuisinart food processor.
I use both of them multiple times a week.
I even have a mini cuisinart processor just for nuts etc. It is about 1 1/2 cups.

Fran

Former desparate mom
rofl SRL. You must share that recipe with us. I'm sure crayons was a wonderful addition.

There must be a heavy demand for food processors. I got only two brand choices. Cuisinart and Kitchen aid. Kohl's was out of all the others. B,B&B only had the 2 big brands. So now I must trudge to the mall and super target. I'm sure they are only 3 miles away but I really hate to go because there are so many distractions and time flies.
I'd like to see a Braun and some of the food network brands. Sheesh who would have thought.

Thanks for the help.

susiestar

Roll With It
You might have luck at a Super Target, but you won't at WalMart. Their brands are not up to the quality of a Cuisinart. I know a repair guy I knew a few years ago. His advice was to not get food proc or other workhorse appliances from WalMart. WalMart dictates such low quality that the motor is not nearly as strong or durable in the WM ones.

You may want to look up some cooking stores and get opinions there and see the items there. Or look at a restaurant supply store.