For all the messed up TN laws...here is a good one

Tiapet

Old Hand
So we discussed some really bad laws and ways that are happening here. Well today there was a write up in the paper about one that is going to be happening. It's about committing instead of sending mentally ill to jail.

I'll let you read for yourself. Article

It would be nice if it does go nationwide after this pilot as this is what we've all been talking about! :)

TerryJ2

Oh, it's outpatient! I immediately assumed that by "committing," you meant Residential Treatment Center (RTC) or something equivalent for adults. This sheriff suggested outpatient. I was thinking that locally, we only have one freestanding bldg that is used exclusively for emotionally ill pts, and it has been closed and reopened more than once due to staff beating up the pts. They just don't have enough training to know how to deal with-violent pts. But that's only one place. Maybe legislators will be able to rearrange funding for such places.
Let's keep an eye on TN. :)
Yes, I think that more and more in society, we need more treatment and less jail space. I was just talking about this with-husband and he said he didn't think there were that many more people on the fringe; there have been asylums throughout history filled with-the mentally ill, some dangerous, some not. I cannot think of anything much worse than being mentally ill *and* being stuck in a smelly, urine-soaked pen with-other screaming people and no hope of release.

T

TeDo

I think this sounds like a great idea. For those that have difficult child's that aren't "bad enough" often enough, there is a real gap. The services that are needed aren't financially available to the people that need it the most and, left untreated/undertreated, end up committing stupid little crimes. Sending those to jail or committing them to Residential Treatment Center (RTC)'s is what I would consider going overboard. It's about time someone sees the REALITY and had the guts to do something about it. I will definitely be watching TN.