For parents of kids with learning difficulties.....

lovelyboy

Hi all, sorry that I've been so quiet! I am beyond tired of looking for a school for little dude (gr R next year)
Ok...he has ADHD, SI issues and auditory processing problems...exct....exct.
We have 2 options....One school follows mainstream curuculim, but will only have 3-5 kids in a class....their standard is high, no remedial input, but individual attention.
The other school is a school that just enroll ADHD and asperger kids, they will also only have 5-8 kids, but they lower their standard and expectation regarding amount of work and less homework, very nurturing, loving environment....
What would you choose, the one with higher academic standards and a bit more strict or the lower standards with more tolerance?
I dont want to make a choice that will effect his future negatively...
Thanx so much!

pasajes4

Visit both and talk to the parents of the other children. IN your head put your child in both settings and gauge how you think he might function in either situations.

SuZir

Try to find a way to have chats with parents of kids in both schools. Especially try to find out what are their biggest complaints. That is often very telling.

InsaneCdn

Would they allow you to observe in a classroom at each school, for at least a couple of hours? Sometimes that is a good source of "gut feel".

Malika

Everyone has given the good advice to try and observe and get a feel for each school yourself.
Some studies have shown, however, that kids do better when they are pulled "up" in a mainstream school. For myself, i am very wary of putting my ADHD son with other ADHD or special needs kids because he is very ramped up by them and his behaviour becomes much worse. I would for myself prefer for him to learn from the example of "normal" kids. Just being honest.

InsaneCdn

I wish LB had the option of a "mainstream" type of school - instead, the two options presented are either "elite" or "special needs"... and perhaps neither is really the best option, but too often we have to pick the best of the not-best options because the "best" option doesn't exist.

lovelyboy

Thanx for the imput! I think that actually my son would do best in a small group of kids receiving homeschooling!
We spoke to this guy today who told us that we musnt put to much emphasis on academic achievement! That as long as he is happy and being confronted with a learning environment that its ok?! That a child doesnt always have to do mainstream to make a success?! Oh boy oh boy! Think that we might try the less academic option and do xtra stimulation at home?!We can always put him in mainstream when we feel like it?

InsaneCdn

I haven't homeschooled, so this is just what I've been told... by quite a few parents I know who have done it. They tell me that for the first 6 years of education, you can teach a kid everything he needs to know academically in 2 hours a day or LESS, and emphasis on "less". First three years are basic skills - reading, writing, arithmetic. Those are really easy to supplement as part of day-to-day living, so he doesn't even think it's extra school work.

Personally, I'd be more afraid of killing his interest in learning by giving too much challenge too early or by the wrong (non-supportive) environment. But... that's just me.