For Recovering: The quote on faith in its entirety.

scent of cedar

"Faith is not, contrary to the usual ideas, something that turns out right or wrong, like a gambler's bet. It is an act, an intention, a project; something that makes you, in leaping into the future, go so far, far ahead that you shoot clean out of Time and right into Eternity, which is not the end of Time or unending Time, but timelessness, that old, Eternal Now."

Horribly enough? I did not copy information relative to who first spoke the quote when I copied it down for myself.

Author (maybe?): Russ
Title (maybe?): Buddhism

Barbara

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Thank you Barbara, I dug around on the web and found this: It is beautifully said.

“(Ezekial saw the wheel

(Way up in the middle of the air --
(O Ezekial saw the wheel
(Way in the middle of the air!

(Now the big wheel runs by faith
(And the little wheel runs by the grace of God --

(The above made up by professional hope experts, you might say, because willful, voluntary, intentional hope was the only kind they had in anything like long supply. Faith is not, contrary to the usual ideas, something that turns out to be right or wrong, like a gambler's bet; it's an act, an intention, a project, something that makes you, in leaping into the future, go so far, far, far ahead that you shoot clean out of Time and right into Eternity, which is not the end of time or a whole lot of time or unending time, but timelessness, that old Eternal Now. So that you end up living not in the future ((in your intentional "act of faith")) but in the present. After all.

(Courage is willful hope.)”
― Joanna Russ, On Strike Against God

scent of cedar

Thank you, Recovering. In all the times I have repeated that quote over the years, I was never able to correctly reference the author. I will change my profile to reflect this new information.

:O)

Barbara