For the Clumsy Among Us

Abbey

Spork Queen
Geez...at least I know I'm not alone. Friends and family always ask why I walk so slow. Well, let's evaluate. I'm wearing heels, which I hate and will fall in the smallest crack in any surface I'm walking on. Why do I wear heels? I'm trying to get a JOB and look professional. I LOOK at a corner and will bruise. No, I will not go on a hike. I can't take my eyes off the ground and actually enjoy the scenery.

Even when I wasn't under stress I was a clutz. I guess my brain doesn't connect to the lower part of my body well.:mad:

Abbey

trinityroyal

Interesting...

I have also read that people with hypermobility tend to have more accidents than other people, I suspect because our ligaments and tendons just don't hold us together as tightly as they do for other people. Well...that's MY excuse, and I'm stickin' to it.

Some days, it's like I'm held together with rubber bands and badly tied packing twine. I will fall off my shoes, turn my ankle, and then watch out for the rebound. I sproing back into position, and then do a spectacular fall in the other direction.

Thank goodness for all that dance training, because I've learned how to fall gracefully at least.

Anyone else have trouble falling UP the stairs? Or just falling out of your chair when you're sitting still (well as still as an ADHD person can sit, anyway)?

gcvmom

Here we go again!
husband should read this. He ran a red light yesterday with the kids in the car and nearly plowed into someone who was turning left... I suspect he was too wound up -- his mind was racing again last night, worried about his job and obessing again. :(

trinityroyal

husband should read this. He ran a red light yesterday with the kids in the car and nearly plowed into someone who was turning left...

Eeeek!
That would terrify me Gcv. Anyway that you can take over driving the kids until husband gets stabilized? Gosh!

Abbey

Spork Queen
Trinity...that is too funny. My last major fall was going UP the stairs. Now I did have a 50lb suitcase in one hand and a computer bag in the other. You'd think it would be down the staircase. It was a good one, too. Only 4 steps up yet I hit my right leg full on. It was a lovely bruise/knot for a good two months. No shorts for me! That darn bruise went from my knee to my upper thigh.

Fall gracefully? haha... maybe I need to take dance classes.

Abbey

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Trinity, he was taking them to get frozen yogurt after he got home from cycling after work -- how do I control that?

husband has ALWAYS been accident-prone.

As a teenager, he was diving in his aunt's pool at his cousin's wedding reception and hit his head on the diving board (hard) and split the scalp wide open.

Then there was the time he was sledding as a young boy and miscalculated the hill he was on, slamming into a tree and giving himself a concussion.

Or the time he misjudged the curb and broke the axle on his dad's car.

When difficult child 1 was a toddler, we were at a park on Labor Day weekend with family and husband was playing football with the guys. He was running to catch a pass and did not see the light pole with a metal box at the base in front of him. Since he was barefoot, his collision with the pole and metal box resulted in huge cuts on the bottom of both feet, one of which required about 20 stitches. HELLOOOO! Are you IN THERE???

Another time he was using a power drill/screwdriver and managed to put the bit through his finger. Or the time he was fixing the garage door hinges with his brother in law and somehow sliced his hand open again (uh, ever heard of gloves?).

Or then there was the time he was drying a glass with a dish towel and jammed his hand in too hard, snapped the glass and sliced up his finger, requiring several stitches. (Poor spatial awareness, i.e. your friggin' meathook is too dang big to shove in that tiny glass!)

I could go on, but then I'd have to write chapters and this just isn't the form for his life story. :winks:

Some days I wonder if he will EVER be stable... I'm just glad he's got a GP and psychiatrist appointment in the next week.

trinityroyal

Trinity...that is too funny. My last major fall was going UP the stairs. Now I did have a 50lb suitcase in one hand and a computer bag in the other. You'd think it would be down the staircase. It was a good one, too. Only 4 steps up yet I hit my right leg full on. It was a lovely bruise/knot for a good two months. No shorts for me! That darn bruise went from my knee to my upper thigh.

OUCH!
I usually fall up the stairs rather than down. I guess bruises are better than a concussion, which is what I'd likely end up with if I ever hit the deck on the hardwood at the bottom of the stairs in my house.

The last time I did it, I had 4 matching horizontal bruises...wrists, across the elbows, hips and mid-thighs, from where I did a face-plant.

Fall gracefully? haha... maybe I need to take dance classes.

People tease me. They say I fall with "ballet arms", which I guess is a good thing as it usually keeps my face from actually making contact with the floor.

Although...the other day, I stepped into the bathtub, lost my footing, and cracked my head against the tiles on the wall. Not fun. Thank goodness for big hair, to hide the goose egg.

Abbey

Spork Queen
:rofl::rofl:

Signs of the syndrome are the ability to place the palms of the hands on the floor with the knees fully extended, hyperextension of the knee or elbow beyond 10 degrees, and the ability to touch the thumb to the forearm.

I just tried this and could do it...problem is, I couldn't get up! I'm rolling around the floor laughing my arse off trying to find anything to hold on to pull myself up. Thanks, Trinity.:tongue:

Abbey

trinityroyal

Trinity, he was taking them to get frozen yogurt after he got home from cycling after work -- how do I control that?

Sigh...never mind. I don't think there is a way to control that, unless you tie your husband to a chair in the basement (just kidding.) Slinking back to the corner with my tensor bandages and ice pack.

DammitJanet

Your husband confines his cycling to after work? How does he time that?

And I can touch my thumb to my forearm but there aint no way we are gonna bend me over to put my hands on the floor!

trinityroyal

I just tried this and could do it...problem is, I couldn't get up! I'm rolling around the floor laughing my arse off trying to find anything to hold on to pull myself up. Thanks, Trinity.:tongue:

Abbey

Oh goodness! You reminded me of the time in one of my dance classes when I was about 11, where I was showing off, telling people how flexible I was. I could do the splits, but so could a lot of the other girls. I decided to one-up them by tucking my legs behind my head.

Well, of course, my hips seized, and I got stuck. Lying on my back on the floor, with my ankles crossed behind my head. Elegant, n'est-ce pas?

After the teacher and 3 or 4 students got me untangled, I have never done that particular maneuver since.

Lothlorien

Anyone else have trouble falling UP the stairs?
I just did this yesterday and have a whopper of a bruise on my shin from hitting the step and my wrist hurts. I have done that several times. I'm just in such a hurry, I miss a step and blam!

In that article, the one woman has several kitchen accidents, like setting herself on fire?????!!! Now, that's pretty bad.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Ok...tried the leg over the head thing again today. I'm almost there, but I think if I make it, I'll be stuck there. I need a spotter. I AM DETERMINED!!! I HAVE A MISSION!!

GVC, your hubby sounds like me. If there is possible danger around, I will find it. Remember when I cut the tip off my finger, yet sat through dinner bleeding profusly? (I know that is spelled incorrectly. Darn.) Or, how about the time I was swimming in the Kern River and hit my head on a rock and they had to pull me out. Thank God the current wasn't strong there.

One of the classics was falling down probably 15 concrete stairs at my college. So I fall. The kicker is I get this HUGE period upon impact. They all thought I was dying. Nope...just a female thing. Kind of embarrassing.:(

I should have a stamp on my forehead - DANGER PRONE. Where is that skillet?

Abbey