For the "yeah, right" files.

CrazyinVA

Staff member
Oldest's 28th birthday is coming up (hard to believe!). As always, I've asked what she wants for her birthday... I've got a nice list she gave me at Christmas and I've got some good ideas already. I also take her (and Youngest) out to nice restaurant for dinner, that's tradition.

So yesterday, she calls me and says "I know the answer is probably no, but I wanted to ask just in case ... could my birthday present this year be tickets to the Ravens playoff game?"

Ummm no. I told her I can't afford that. She said, "well I figured you could go with me so it'd be a treat for you too!" Ummm no again. Points for the "I know the answer is probably no," but .. really? You even asked .... ??

For those of you who aren't in the know, tickets *start* at about $250 each.

Yeah, right.

I think I'll tell her that I want front row Springsteen tickets for my birthday.

InsaneCdn

Crazy, you've got to learn how to say yes. (and still say no)...

That famous grocery line? "yes we have no bananas"?

Well...
"You know dear, the day I win Ravens tickets, I'll gladly take you to the game, because I know how much you'd love to go."

In other words... no. But you didn't actually say "no".

CrazyinVA

Staff member
LOL have done that many times, Insane. Sarcasm is my specialty ;-) She got a flat out no yesterday, though. And a laugh.

InsaneCdn

No, I didn't mean sarcasm.. that has a biting, negative tone to it.
Rather, turn it into a "boy, I wish I could but..." tone.

We don't have much moula. We find "wish gifts" to be useful. "If money were no issue, I'd have gotten you a XXX for your birthday..." - along with a real gift, of course.

CrazyinVA

Staff member
I don't wish I could give her Ravens tickets. She'd only expect Super Bowl tickets next. That's how her mind works :)

Many difficult children tend to ask for outlandish things, because they think they deserve outlandish things. Entitlement. It doesn't occur to them that it's inappropriate to even ask. So letting her know just how crazy a request it was with a flat out "no," was the best answer here. Playful, teasing sarcasm works as well .. not all sarcasm is mean, in my opinion.

It made me laugh... and roll my eyes. Just thought others could probably relate!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
My difficult child ALWAYS asks for outlandish gifts for her birthday or Christmas. I usually just laugh and say 'Guess again'...lol.

Sarcasm is just another language in our house! In a fun sorta way!

DammitJanet

Well I guess since the Redskins werent playing...lol. Now I would have asked for Panther tickets if they ever make it to the playoffs again anytime soon. And tell her if I win Super Bowl tickets with my Visa Card...I will put her down as one of my 12...lol. Aint no way its happening I dont think.

susiestar

Roll With It
Just shaking my head.

WHY does this remind me the year that the ONLY things Wiz wanted were materials to make a bomb and a battle axe. Not nerf, not play, a real one.

Yeah. He was getting that for his 14th birthday. suuuuuuuuuuuure.

pepperidge

A therapist once told me that these kids play their parents like the slot machines, they keep trying even though they know they probably won't win, just because one time in the distant past a parent actually said yes to some request...

do you think she actually thought you might even consider it?

susiestar

Roll With It
pepperidge, that is truly one of the best descriptions to describe difficult child koi that I have ever heard. It is exactly right. A yes to ONE thing ONE time means they ask forever for anything that crosses their minds. Sooooo not how it works, but how it works for their minds.

CrazyinVA

Staff member
It's a great analogy, for sure. I think she thought there was a possibility I'd say yes, or she wouldn't have asked. She's asked for expensive gifts before but at least they were semi-practical: a printer, a bedframe, a Nook. This one was off the wall. Guess she thinks I'm the fairy godmother or something :-D

Ahh well.

Star*

call 911........call 911
GOtta ask as a DIE HARD BROWNS FAN.........and Art Model can sink a football in his patootie............but

WHY ON EARTH WOULD ANYONE WANT TO SEE THE RAVENS????????

(sorry I make so very few Ravens jabs) ........

You handled it with such grace. And to get Springsteen tickets on the flip flop? Well won't you be a monkeys uncle if you actually get them? hahah (ahem) Maybe she'd DO IT - JUST TO SPITE YOU!!!!!!!!! bwhahahahaha........(gotta think about how you want to ask for those now don't you??????)

Hugs