For those of you who might remember...An update on MRNO

Estherfromjerusalem

Congratulations to you, Martie, and to your difficult child -- ooops, I mean ex-difficult child! What an inspiring update. Thank you so much for sharing that with us. You are an amazing mother to have achieved what you have with both your children.

Thank you so much.

Love, Esther

Penta

I do remember you and your son! Wow what terrific news. I am going to post anoptimistic update as well.

Congratulations to your Yale bound graduate student!

Martie

Thank you all for your lovely and supportive replies. I am starting to pack to drive to NYC and MrNo just called wanting to go over the Thursday through Sunday schedule so that all works smoothly and is strees-free as possible. I KNOW he is capable, but it is these little unexpected moments that still make me realize how far he has come and how lucky we are. He has always worked hard at music, I grant him that, but there were so many other problems to overcome, and he seems to have done that, too.

I can't end without putting on my professor hat: research is indicating more strongly, including the outcome study done on this board, that the earlier you intervene, the more likely the positive outcome. No one around here says, "he'll out grow it--it's just a phase," but you can still hear that out in the world. Don't listen. I believe that the major reason EGBS worked for both MrNo and Penta's girl is they got there young (for adolescent programs) and without major drug habits. Early adolescence is the pits for both boys and girls, but it is really the last time you can have a lot of control over a difficult child's treatment.

I love you all, and will try to contribute my small share to Special Education 101. My life has been quite hectic for the last 6 to 8 months, but I hope to sign on daily now that summer is here.

Thank you all again,

Martie

smallworld

Martie, I'm late to this thread, but just want you to know how absolutely thrilled I am to read this update. Kudos to MrNo and kudos to you! Your experiences with your son gives us all hope for the future.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Absolutely inspirational. I love this for you and for us to get a chance to read.
Thank you.
Anytime you come here and offer your knowledge is a gift to all of us.

mistmouse

Martie, I am so thrilled to read such a positive update. Although not as great an update as yours, somewhere on here is my update about my daughter. It feels so good to be able to post the positives.

mistmouse