For those watching the Casey A. trial.....

H

HaoZi

I haven't been able to sit down and watch what goes on. Most of it is pretty SOP, they'll almost always argue over this, that, and the other, to get it on record that they did their job. I'm also sure neither team is used to this kind of media coverage, so I'd expect a ton of CYA.
If she was in trunk it would make sense that a flying insect would find the body rather than ants. Anyone know how long it was between burial and when the ground in that area got flooded? Ants wouldn't leave behind as much evidence of themselves as the flies and beetles that lay eggs on the body.
I read somewhere that bug guy was pretty new, not sure if that's accurate or not, but it would explain a lot, like why the defense didn't go with an expert that has a lot of experience, like someone from U of T.

klmno

Evidently the defense's bug guy had gotten a PhD not too long ago, of course some years after getting a Masters. What I found interesting is that somewhere along the way this guy had been a student of the prosecution's bug guy. I don't know if he knew who the prosecution's bug guy would be beforehand but if he did, there could have been a personal motive for trying to prove something that conflicted with a previous college professor- that could have led him to initiate an experiment that the defense didn't ask for.

H

HaoZi

Maybe. Off the top of my head, I'd think going for PhD in this field would lead to a very small body of professionals that can teach it, so I'd expect that a lot of them had the same teachers. It's not like getting a business degree that is available at pretty much every college in the U.S. Doesn't mean it wasn't personal, we all have teachers we didn't like or didn't agree with. Whether or not he knew who the prosecution would have - the defense would have known as part of discovery. Couldn't say if Baez would have shared that info with him or not. Was this his first case as an "expert" witness?

Nancy

I find it interesting that the defense hired this bug guy the day the remains were found, even before they were identified. It was suggested that the only reason he would have done that is if he had a strong suspicion they were Caylee's and that could have only come from Casey. Watch for further mention of these dates. I'm hoping the state recalls the tow truck owner to remind the jury that hundreds of flies flew out of the trunk when he first opened it. Also Cindy opened the truck when they got it home. I'm not sure if she said she or George cleaned the car out or just sprayed febreeze in it.

There was a great deal of discussion between the lawyers and judge about the student testifying. The judge would not allow the state to talk about the student/teacher relationship because it would be bolstering their expert. Also the state was pretty upset that what he testified to on the stand was not all in his report. Like I said I don't think this bug guy is going to be called on to testify in too many more cases. There are only 12 of them in the country and I think his reputation has taken a big hit.

Nancy

donna723

"Was this his first case as an "expert" witness?"

I think they asked him that yesterday and he said it was his first time. He said that nobody had ever asked him to do that before. And after all that, they will probably never ask him again either!

klmno

Wow- the defense is in big trouble now. The judge threatened (technically, "considered") filing a contempt charge against Biaz for this kind of stuff (he did it again this morning against judge's orders and then almost argued with the judge) and the judge mentioned he could tell the jury so the jury could judge for themselves about the credibility of the defense team. Biazz really pushed it too far with the judge and I don't know if tensions can be kept in check today or not- the judge did decide to end the day at 1:00 today.

klmno

Going back to the bug gys- I'm not so sure the instructor/student relationship ttranspired when the guy was getting a PhD- maybe someone else here heard but I missed it so I don't know if it was when he was getting a Bachelors or Masters or what. I thought the commentator just said it had been "some years ago".

DDD

I think it is relevant to compare dates, dollars and resources when comparing the Prosecution and the Defense. (No, lol, I'm not smart enough to pull that info up on the computer.) But obviously the State had alot of time to work the case and begin preparing for trail before Jose stepped up to the plate so she wouldn't have representation by a Public Defender. I personally saw clips of a hearing that took place (seems like it was only a year ago) where the Defense appealed to a higher court that the Defendant couldn't be properly represented with-o funding from the State. They were awarded x million ? dollars to try to even up the field.

Obviously the State located and hired the best experts available in the Country. They have unlimited resources in manpower and money..and, of course, they probably have a total of over fifty years experience just in their own office. By comparison, Jose only has three years experience (or so I believe I heard) and his team is, or was, working pro bono with no commonality of location. Plus they have a looney toon client to save...against all odds, really.

in my humble opinion the Defense is trying their hardest to represent their client and save her life. They have to go with what their client tells them and try to establish the reasonable doubt. Being sympathetic to the Anthony family is a valid emotion but every American citizen is entitled to the best defense available. Yep, even OJ. That's part of what makes our Country unique. As I've said before I don't see how Casey will walk out of the Court free but I will continue to maintain that she is suppose to have the presumption of innocence and the right to the best defense she can get. DDD

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
DDD, I believe that is why Mason was hired because in fact Baez is not a qualified "death penalty" attorney and I "think" Fla rquires you have one if you are being tried on that penalty.

Does anyone know if the state can call back a witness, like Dr. G for example, for further clarification on what she testified to, during the defense's arguments - am watching the trial now

Marcie

H

HaoZi

If the defense was doing a better job it'd be worth the pro bono time for them, it's a lot of advertising and name recognition even if (*coughwhencough*) they lose. Unlike most public defenders they're not trying to split their time between too many cases to the point where they barely have time to learn the case at all. Considering the time they've dedicated to this, they should have been far better prepared. To me this says they know or have reason to believe she's guilty of something in this case so they're tossing red herrings everywhere. Or they're really really incompetent.

I do wonder about the timing of hiring bug boy. Also was he first on their list, or did other experts turn down the job? If he was first, why?

Marcie, it's not required by Florida to have capital case experience, but it's in the client's best interest for sure.

ETA: I believe they can during rebuttal. Defense would be stupid to call her for questioning.

klmno

You can't beat the credentials of the witness they have on the stand right now, that's for sure. I think I know where this line of questioning is going and what the cross examination will be, at least in part. I heard some experts talking about this on tv a week or so ago and wondered when and if that would come out but this is probably it. It had to do with what's found inside the skull indicating the position of the skull when decomposition of the brain occurs and that Caylee's indicated she was on her side. The defense would be that the way the skull was found wasn't the original position. The cross-eaxmaniation will point out that the supposed original position was on the side, true, but in the trunk of the car.

klmno

I believe that witnesses can be called back when they do the rebuttal or whatever it's called- but I'm not positive. I didn't quite get how Cindy could be called to the stand time after time so I'm not up on all the court rules.

H

HaoZi

The defense would be that the way the skull was found wasn't the original position. The cross-eaxmaniation will point out that the supposed original position was on the side, true, but in the trunk of the car.

It's out in the woods so that would mean nothing, especially since it's been proven that animals got hold of her. The prosecution would shove that right back in their faces, trunk or no trunk. I agree it does point more heavily to the trunk or to the body being placed on its side very soon after death, which would be strange for a supposedly hidden family burial.

I wonder if the defense can dig their case's position any deeper into craziness and stupidity.

klmno

That was a very informative article Haoz.

How did this guy conclude that the tape was put on after decomposition?

One thing I find hard to believe- this witness said he'd taken part in about 50,000 autopsies and pointed out again that he's had this profession for 56 years. Impressive but could you really do an average of 892 autopsies a year? While performing all these other duties like giving seminars, being witness in court time after time, etc?

H

HaoZi

What witness is this? "Taking part" can mean something as simple as looking over a report as a consultant and signing off on it. A lot of paperwork and mailing, somewhat time-consuming but doable, especially if you count mass grave sites by how many bodies are in there. Be interested to see how they substantiate it, though.

klmno

He said he'd either conducted or supervised interns conducting that many autopsies. It's a neglible point I guess- he's clearly an expert.
HLN is driving me buts- 4 mins of commercials, a few mins listening to a commentator, a few mins of trial, back to the commentator, then start over again with another round of commercials. I feel like they're only showing 10 mins of trial every 1/2 hour- couldn't they time the commercials and comments around the time attnys are at side bar or the jury is in recess?

klmno

And how does the fact that the duct tape wasn't sticking to the skull prove that it wasn't put on before death? If it was put on before and the skin decayed, the tape wouldn't be sticking to the skull. I'm starting to think this expert, while truly an expert, isn't such a great person to be on a witness stand.