For those who are avid Readers

Tiapet

Old Hand
I found a cool tool, well two actually but a moderator might have to take down the second one because I'm not sure about it. I'm not promoting it as part of it you would have to pay "if you choose to do it" but you don't have to as the program is free otherwise.

I have read a couple of times people asking about what everyone is reading or asking for suggestions for books. Here is a tool that is really cool. Try it and see what you think. Basically you can click on 4 bars (choices of words) and then move a little sliding arrow to move it from extremes if you want (don't worry there is a demonstration for this all). Then it will give you a list of suggestions of book titles with comments by a reader along with parallel books that are like it and excerpt from the book. I thought it was really neat anyway. Maybe you will, maybe you won't.

http://www.whichbook.net/default.aspx?searchtype=1&reset=1

Now for the second. It is a program that catalogs the books "you" have but also does more. You can do 200 for free. After that then it ask for a charge, yearly then lifetime ( I think reasonable but hey, I'm not promoting here). It looks like a social networking type site for book lovers. Again, if the moderators deem this as inappropriate feel free to take this one down:

http://www.librarything.com/

Lothlorien

I won't take it down. You are an established member who is sharing something. You didn't join this site with the sole purpose of hawking something. Thanks for sharing it with us.

DammitJanet

Ya know...I got to thinking about this whole book thing when we have been talking about which books we are reading before. Maybe we could all decide to pick a genre...then pick a book...all read it and discuss it on the board together. Kind of like Oprahs book club! Or maybe we could have subsections...for those who like mysteries, those who like romances, historicals, etc.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Ya know...I got to thinking about this whole book thing when we have been talking about which books we are reading before. Maybe we could all decide to pick a genre...then pick a book...all read it and discuss it on the board together. Kind of like Oprahs book club! Or maybe we could have subsections...for those who like mysteries, those who like romances, historicals, etc.

Janet...first of all, I'm cracking up at your Avatar. I think it would be a fair fight between our difficult child's. ;)

I love the book club idea. Hmmm...maybe I should make a new website.

Abbey

Tiapet

Old Hand
Like the second website I had found I just found this one too that is kind of similar to it. It is a networking site as well as a place to list but it's format is different and seems a bit "cleaner/smoother", less "busy" and it is absolutely free.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Another good free site is fullbooks.com. It is arranged alphabetically by title.

I just finished reading Jack London's 'The Sea Wolf' and was astonished as an adult, to discover that he had a real handle on both Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) behavior and on the etiology and pathology of brain aneurysms.

Of course, he had no idea in his time what a brain aneurysm actually was, but somewhere he'd researched 'apoplexy' and stroke syndromes and had some good information.

Not a happy, nor non stressful book, but a good read and very accurate.

There are a LOT of excellent "classic" sites out there.

F

flutterbee

I *like* the book club idea! I love to read, as do many of us it seems, and it is so nice to be able to have conversations here that don't revolve around our difficult children.

I mean, afterall, we live and breathe them. So many times I come to this board with the intent to post about difficult child and then I just can't rehash it and end up on the WC. :biggrin: