For those with older dogs

witzend

Mr. Bubba has been showing his age quite a bit lately. He's insistently hungry all of the time. He has had a few accidents on the carpet after just coming in because he was too busy worrying about getting a morning snack to go potty. His eyes are cloudy and he's lost his hearing. He can't get up on his sofa, and has a very difficult time with stairs. He's very grumpy and doesn't want loves anymore. The other day he didn't know me when I came in.

I know that there is a prescription drug out there for dogs with cognitive issues, but we just don't have the money for the vet and the rx and the monitoring, etc. So I did some research on the web and found a supplement called Cholodin for older dogs and cats.

http://www.vitamin-resource.com/health/detail.cfm?id=274

I thought "what the heck, I'll give it a try." He's only been on it two days, and already his eyes are less cloudy. Can you believe that? He seems to be hearing better, he's been snuggling with me like he used to. He went up and down the deck stairs with less trepidation than he seems to have had lately. I hate to get too far ahead of myself, but I'm really hopeful!

I will keep you all posted on how this goes. I only bought the small bottle, because I didn't want to throw away a bunch of money on something that doesn't work. But if things keep going well, we'll be using it for sure!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
That sounds awesome, Witz. Our dogs aren't quite there yet, but I will keep this supplement in mind should the time come.

Best of thoughts for your guy Mr. Bubba.

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
thanks for the post...... my dog is still doiing well with bathroom needs, but he is getting a little more insistent about eating, his hearing isn't what it used to be and I can walk in the room and startle him.... just wondering if he doesn't have beginning alheimers if the supplement would hurt him....... I presently have him on Deramaxx, for pain in the joints, but I may have to mortgage the house for the next prescription. I was thinking if I could find something else that might help relieve his aches (and cheaper is a plus) it might make us both happier.......

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Witz, good idea! Unfortunately 14 y/o Sally is past this stage & on comfort care. Pain medications & steroid eye drops.

My vet told me that Sally will likely have a heart attack & go in the night. (A boxer thing) She's been here longer than my tweedles so she'll be missed greatly.

In the meantime, she's doing well for being 14. Still getting outside; still able to take a walk & try to chase squirrels (she used to jump 5 feet up the tree when chasing the squirrels in the backyard.)

Life comes & goes. I'm glad this is working for your Mr. Bubba.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Witz,

I couldn't begin to read because I think this is about my Bubba. So I'm just going to say that whatever is going on with my Snot-monster I hope he's doing better, and give him a huge hug and scritch from his favorite board Auntie. (Sends sweater to keep him warm, boots to keep hims toes dry and ice free, a nice fluffy fleece down bed to help his elderly aching bones, and soft-chew biscuits for those feeble teeth).

Sorry I can't read this post....just can send love.

Star:angel3:

DammitJanet

Boy...that sounds like a great supplement. Wish I had known about it several years ago when my Lady got old. She did live to be somewhere in the 17 to 19 years of age though so she lived a really long time. We got her the same year Cory was born and the shelter told us they thought she was between 2 to 4 years old when we got her. An elderly woman owned her before us and went into an assisted living facility and couldnt take her so had to put her in the shelter. It was our great luck to find this great dog. She was fully trained and loved us so much. So great with kids too. In her final 2 years she was almost blind from cataracts, deaf and arthritic. It was kind of funny because we would find her barking in corners and we would go and move her and she would just wander into another room. One day she just went outside and never came back. She found herself a place in the woods to make her final resting place so we wouldnt have to watch her die. She just knew. Jamie was almost 18 then.