DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Just tell her how awesome it will be to be able to predict when ole Aunt Flo is comin'! I was like her, and never became "regular"---I had NO idea what a pain in the butt it was, until I got on BCPs to fix it. It's life-changingly wonderful. :) Plus, she can take two packs straight if she's got a beach week or pool time with friends, schedule it so she gets it on the weekend OR the week, whatever she wants, etc, etc. Lighter, shorter, usually, too.

If BCPs work out for her, she's got a new world ahead. It's amazing what a difference such a "little" thing makes. Oh, and they clear up your skin, usually. Haven't had a pimple since I started on 'em. There are SO many benefits. I hope it all works out!!!

O Brag! Brag! Brag!

Some of us are stuck with ole Mother Nature because of our intolerance of hormonal treatments....I hate hearing that a magic pill makes everything wonderful.

Sour grapes here--

:tongue:

--DaisyF

(Not offended--just jealous)

eekysign

O Brag! Brag! Brag!

Some of us are stuck with ole Mother Nature because of our intolerance of hormonal treatments....I hate hearing that a magic pill makes everything wonderful.

Sour grapes here--

:tongue:

--DaisyF

(Not offended--just jealous)

AWWW, it really is unfair for you gals! My best friend had a stroke last year, and can't take BCPs or any hormonal treatments now, too. She's not a happy camper about being a single mid-twenties girl with- no birth control options other than condoms. I do feel your pain!! They have to come up with something better already (and NOT IUDs, since they won't give those to non-moms, without a damn good reason). Frustrating!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Just throwing this out there; seems you've already had your questions answered.

It took a couple of tries with BCP's for my difficult child. I put her on them because she was becoming increasingly provocative in her conversations with guy friends on AIM, followed up by a sexual assault by a stranger and I just thought it was time (she was 15.5). The other reason was for her serious PMS. Combined with her antidepressant, the BCP helped quite a bit, though not as successfully as we had thought. I should add that her period was always regular and on time, like a clock, same as me.

After years of her taking the BCP and constantly missing days, and suffering with break through bleeding, we sought out something better and with less maintenance. I asked about the depo-provera shot and the gyno said it sometimes made the moods in BiPolar (BP) patients worse. We gave it a try and guess what? It has been AWESOME!! The only time my daughter has PMS is about a week before her next shot is due. Otherwise she's doing very well on it. The only thing about the shot, however, is that some people, like my daughter, never get their periods. She has not had a period is nearly 7 months. There is always the chance she may get one mother of a period, but it's doubtful at this point, unless she stops getting the shot.

My point is that every pill, though typically the same, varies in it's ingredients and just like any other drug, may affect your daughter differently than most others. There are a lot of drugs out there that promise the moon, but don't deliver. Your daughter's genetic and chemical makeup can greatly affect how any drug will help or hurt her. After a very thorough physical with a gyno and a lengthly discussion of her options I'm sure you can find a pill that will help with her moods as well as her irregularity.

Best of luck.

skeeter

I took the pill for many years, because of irregular periods (anywhere from 4 to 10 weeks in between) horrible cramps (my legs would go numb) and nausea, along with very heavy bleeding.

It took several different tries (this was back in the late 70s) but finally settled on LoOvral. I would get "morning sickness" with the first pill, so always started them on Friday night.

I wound up back on them between my kids for heavy bleeding, and I probably should have gone on again after my second child, but by that time was age 34 and didn't want to continue.

Other than the predictable bought of nausea with the first pill, the only other issue I had was an occasional migraine during the "off" time. But I still have those, and haven't been on pills for 17 years. Now that I'm going through the other end of things, I can't seem to get past 6 months, then I again have a period!!