Forum name change?

Nancy

Did this forum change names recently? I know many of us dealing with addiction have been posting in the PE forum but is this forum now for all addiction issues regardless of age?

Nancy

buddy

I have seen posts where people suggest posting there because so many of the PE people have lived it and maybe dont check the teen/addiction forum? I always click on new posts anyway so that crosses the forums. Could that be why? PE people are so valuable to me because they have been there done that and are amazing mentors.

buddy

oh, I see... I did it again, got here from new post and thought from your post that it was PE...duh...sorry.

R

runawaybunny

Substance abuse issues are not restricted to teens only, at least not in my family... It seemed that it would be more useful to the community to remove the teen reference and open the topic up as a central meeting place for those of us dealing with substance abuse issues.

Your feedback is welcome.

SRL

Yes, Cheryl made the name change this morning and with our crazy busy holiday schedules it looks like an announcement to clarify wasn't done yet.

The intent is for this board to focus on issues pertaining to substance abuse, whether for teens or for grown children who are out of the house. That will leave the PE board to return to its original intent, which was to focus on the wide spectrum of issues that families struggle with adult children. Obviously there will be some overlap--as there generally is on all of our boards--but discussion of substance abuse should preferably migrate over to here.

Nancy

Well since you asked lol, I agree that substance abuse is not limited to teens but most of us who are dealing with our young adults who have substance abuse problems have been posting in the PE forum because it was for those 18 and older and out of the house. I have no problem switching to another forum if all my al-anon support members switch with me but I can't go it alone. I need my support.

It seems that this will leave PE rather empty since after 18 and out of the house most difficult child issues are related to substance abuse. But it doesn't matter where I post as long as you invite all my buddies.

Nancy

T

toughlovin

The change makes sense to me. I will continue to check both this and PE since my difficult child is both over 18 and substqnce abuse is a major issue...

TL

I also think the name change makes sense. I always read both forums as my daughter's primary issue is substance abuse currently and she is over 18.

exhausted

I don't mind the change especially if it brings traffic. There have been many times this board was pretty dead. I also wonder if a teen issues site would be helpful?

Ephchap

When we first began the PE forum, it was so those of us with difficult child's over 18 could continue to support each other. My son was over 18 but still dealing with substance abuse issues. As several have mentioned, substance abuse knows no boundaries and unfortunately is rampant in young teens, older teens, young people and older people. I have no objection where the forum is either, so long as there is support for those that need it, as Nancy suggested. Many members have asked and suggested changing the forums a bit, and Cheryl has been, as always, right on the ball trying to make the site as easy and supportive for those looking for help.

Deb

DammitJanet

Back when this forum was teens and substance abuse we had no parents emeritus board. That board was started when I suggested it several years ago and suz became the moderator. Then we ended up with two boards. It seemed like with the two boards folks did become a bit confused about where to post. Some with younger kids under 18 only posted in this forum but didnt get as many answers because not as many of us actually checked in here all the time. I know I dont. I think Deb has had some periods of time when her life has been very busy and she hasnt had time to be here. That happens to all of us. I think this is a good thing. I will go make a post in PE to let them know about the new forum.