Four year old philosophy

Malika

Jacob raised a good point this morning. He said (a propos of nothing) "Mummy, it's not good to kill." "No," I replied, "It's not good. If you kill, you feel sad afterwards." He thought for a moment and then said, "But what if you are a giant who kills children?"
A good question. What do you think?

BusynMember

Always practical, I would have said, "There no such thing as giants who kill children and it is never good to kill children or anyone else. I believe that if there WERE giants, they would feel bad if they killed anybody."

How's that??? :)

Malika

Ah well, you are none of you such subtle philosophers as my son.... His question was not about whether it is wrong for giants to kill children (but of course :)) but whether, my having said it was wrong to kill, whether it was wrong to kill a giant who was going to kill children (thereby saving their lives)... you see?!

buddy

Ah well, you are none of you such subtle philosophers as my son.... His question was not about whether it is wrong for giants to kill children (but of course :)) but whether, my having said it was wrong to kill, whether it was wrong to kill a giant who was going to kill children (thereby saving their lives)... you see?!

yes that is deep, but then again, if the premise is wrong, that giants dont kill in the first place, it is a moot point. Now, If you are watching the giant running after the kids with a big club...or a fork, then of course go ahead and bomb the giant to pieces.

TerryJ2

Way To Go, Buddy! Lol!

P.S. Malika, if you want a board filled with-pacifists, I think you'll have to look elsewhere.

:winnersmiley:

Malika

Well, yes, Terry but... the whole point of J's question was to underline the dilemma of pacifism... you don't want to kill but... what do you do faced with a giant (metaphorical) who is killing children?
It struck me as a very interesting question but then... I daresay I am a little strange :)