Fourth homeless man stabbed tonight in my area -- police have a suspect in custody.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
A news report this morning identified the suspect in custody and described how they came to arrest him. Witnesses chased him 1/4 mile after he ran from the scene, shedding some of his clothes along the way, and they pointed him out to police. He had some blood on him. The police used a bloodhound to follow the guy's trail in reverse and it led them right back to the site of the stabbing.

I'm going to bet there's a mental illness diagnosis in all this. You'd have to be psychotic or sociopathic to commit such repeatedly brazen murders -- the last two of the four were in VERY busy business areas, one during daylight hours, with the chance of being discovered extremely high. There's insane, and then there's criminally insane.

Very frightening to think this person was roaming our community looking for opportunities... :scared:

tiredmommy

It is frightening, but I'm heartened by your community's response to these murders. The people that have described the victims saw them as human beings and the people that chased down the armed attacker are heroes, in my humble opinion.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
It is just so senseless and tragic. These are our most vulnerable in society. And the more you read about this last victim, the more heartbreaking it is.

DammitJanet

While the suspect may have some form of psychopathy..dont be too quick to think he is simply mentally ill. Most mentally ill folks dont kill people. Its the true sociopaths that do and they dont care. I was watching LockUp on TV and there was a guy on there that said it so well. He looked at one of the reporters and he said something and I will attempt to quote him...If you go out and intentionally kill someone, then you cant come back later and say you didnt mean it and are remorseful. If you hadnt wanted to do it, you wouldnt have. You did it because you wanted to do it.

This guy was a murderer. I will take his word for it.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Here's the latest:
Yorba Linda man arrested after 4{+t}{+h} slaying | homeless, police, friday - News - The Orange County Register

They are pretty confident this is the guy.

They searched the house he was living in -- it's on a horse ranch that my kids have taken riding lessons at. The guy went to a local high school and he moved into this place (currently rented by his uncle) with his mom and siblings about 6 months ago. I'm just dumbstruck -- it all seems like something out of fiction.

Janet, psycopathy to me is a mental illness. But unlike others, it's not treatable.

DammitJanet

Okay I have a question about all this stuff with these people coming home from Iraq and such with ptsd and going nuts and all. Dont kill me for it. I realize it is tough and awful and they see and do bad things. But isnt that what soldiers have done since there have been military forces? They have fought. They have had battles and gone to war. They have come back from war.

I dont think the country saw this type of thing with the troops returning from WWII. Seems to me from all accounts I have seen or heard that the service members returned home and took up where they left off. They either went to college on the GI Bill or got married and bought homes and started family's. That's how we got the baby boom. Is it just that the personality of type of people that are joining now arent the same now? Of course back then it was drafted as well as volunteer.

Or maybe its just now everyone wants to blame it on the fact that someone has been in the service and come home.

tiredmommy

Janet~ There are accounts of this sort of thing going back to WWI, they called it being "shell shocked" then. Not everyone with PTSD caused by combat becomes violent, but they often exhibit anxiety and adjustment problems when they come home. I think we just hear about it more.

InsaneCdn

Seems to me from all accounts I have seen or heard that the service members returned home and took up where they left off.

Janet...
in real life? Back then, there were plenty who went off the deep end in one form or another - including a great uncle of mine. Not necessarily the killing-spree stuff (although that happened too), but mental health breakdowns, suicide, etc. All of it has always been part of war. We (us human beings) really don't handle war well.

BUT... back then, it was all "swept under the carpet". Nobody reported this stuff, or if it was a series of murders, nobody tied it to military duty. Nobody wanted to tarnish the image of the armed forces.

We just hear about it a lot more now.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I tend to agree with TM and IC on this issue. Another point is that people generally had family or extended family to support them through the transition. And when they came back, their communities were also very supportive. And if they didn't have a support network? Alcoholism was an easy band-aid for their inner chaos. Though there are lots more services available for vets -- it seems this family did not push hard enough to get him help. But what do you do when you've got a young adult who's resistant to keeping their mental health appointment? Not much you CAN do. Another issue is this family's culture and how much did that play into the situation? Mental illness is a huge elephant-in-the-room for a lot of ethnic groups.

It's just horribly tragic all the way around, and there's no doubt he's looking at the death penalty.

DDD

Personally I think there is a big difference between WWII and the subsequent wars and because of that difference we are seeing more bizarre aftermaths. I come from a military family so don't think I'm a far out radical. WWII was embraced as a National cause. It touched all families in some ways and all citizens were impacted by rationing, workplace changes and alot of subtle propaganda via newsreels and magazines. There was a demonization of our enemies to the point that as children we were all afraid of the Japanese...and to some extent the Germans. The images and news we got were aimed at uniting Americans of all ages against the enemy.

Korea was vastly different because not so many families were impacted, alot of people thought we should "leave them alone" and the coverage was limited. Then when Vietnam came along there was a huge difference in media access. Every night on television the average American saw "war" in real time.As a result there were protests that also were televised and written up in the newspapers/mags. The same people who thought we should "leave the Koreans alone" now became convinced we should "leave the Vietnamese alone". It was an expensive "conflict" and alot of negetavism arose. Now in more current history young people are being sent to far off places and with the media almost every one knows that there are violent acts perpetrated by Americans as well as the "enemy". It doesn't inspire blind pride like WWII did...not for citizens and not for those soldiers coming home after being a part of disillusioning deployments.

So, in my humble opinion, that is why PTSD is apparently rampant. The National support is not there for the cause or for those who lived through deplorable conditions. My brother is 81 (I think,lol) and when he was in his early 60's he happened into a lounge that happened to have a rather large group of Vietnam vets.
He called me a month later and told me "I finally talked about Nam with others who were there and it felt good." He had a family so there were opportunities for him to share but it was over forty years before he felt comfortable talking about it. Those with-o families or services internalize because what they lived through included immoral acts, loss of friends and fear. Really sad. The WWII vets were praised for saving our Country. Big difference. Also, very very sad. DDD

donna723

You're right, DDD. Returning WWII vets were treated like the heros they were. They returned to the full support of the public even though there wasn't a lot of real professional help available to them. Families were probably closer back then too so they got lots of support from loved ones. Vietnam vets were often looked down upon and called "baby burners". Both of my brothers served in Vietnam and to this day, neither one talks about it at all.

I'm glad to see that it's being handled differently with the servicemen and women returning from Iraq. We're not that far from the Ft. Campbell military base and the local TV stations provide coverage of every group of returning soldiers, the reunions with their families.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Another thing that's freaking me out is that this guy lived just a few miles from our house. Went to the same library we go to (where he killed one of the victims), and it is believed he selected the last victim from a newspaper article about the killings in which the victim was pictured with an officer who was out warning him and other homeless in the area to be careful and consider going to a shelter until the guy was caught.

The girl easy child carpools with said this morning that the younger sister (age 12) of the suspect was in her class in elementary school last year. This is the second multiple homicide by an unstable individual (8 killed last time) we've had in this county in 6 months. Unbelievable.