Fran - need updates from you

Star*

call 911........call 911
You've been on my mind a lot lately -

Would like to know

How is your son doing? Been a while since you wrote about him on WC.

How is HoneySue doing? She ( I think) would be done with Chemo? Any word from the vet?

How is the Hurricane home? I saw some recent pictures of one house standing amongst rubble of 12 - there were only foundations left.....so very sad. Hope all is well.

Hugs to Cowboy for being a great big brother to HS.

Star

Star*

call 911........call 911
UP! LOOKING FOR FRAn -

ps. YOu only have until the end of the month for George Harrison to sign an autographed picture. After 45 years - he says he's stopping.

Have NO idea why that would be important to you.....

witzend

I thought George Harrison was dead? I know I missed something here...

I'm interested too, Fran. How're things, how's the house, how's the family?

lovemysons

Hey Star, thanks for starting this thread I am curious to know how our Fran and family are doing too...Hope you are well also miss Star, hugs and love.
Tammy

Fran

Former desparate mom
Gosh I didn't see this at all. Must be age and the whole eyesight thing.

Star, I met someone with pygmy goats and a miniature donkey. I thought of you. How funny is that? I would love to have some pygmy goats for CB and HS to herd and supervise. They would love it.

Thanks for asking about me. As I told Tammy, my last 18months sounds like a bad country/western song(I like country/western by the way) I moved, just finished a major remodel on the first floor, mom had strokes, easy child dropped out of college(he says year leave of absence) to work. difficult child returned home in August since he wasn't working the program and the tuition was not cheap. husband gave him 6 months and difficult child didn't perform. My HS has cancer and my house got blown away in the storm.

The house issue is a hurry and wait. A structural engineer is being brought in by FEMA to see if there is any saving the house. It's got an UNsafe building sticker on it and no one including me is allowed in. Good thing since the stairs are gone and first floor is 16 ft above the ground. I will go down Oct 28th and 29th to see if I offer any info to the engineer. It looks pretty ugly. Worst one on the block. What a badge of honor.(said sarcastically)

HS had done well with chemo. Tumors are not growing or are growing extremely slowly. Unfortunately about 4 wks ago, HS threw up and promptly found a cold wet section of yard to lay on. Very unusual for her. Then she disappeared into the outer, forested parts of the yard for 1 1/2 hrs. She wasn't walking and was obviously quite ill. Vet office sort of blew me off. I was pretty sure she was dying. Took her to the ER where they practically yanked HS away from to put her on IV's and monitor. She was a sick baby. Go forward 16 hrs later and they think it's an intestinal obstruction. Not sure what it is. Do I want surgery? Well why wouldn't I? She is a DNR because of the cancer but I want her treated. She was fine 24hr prior. Walking the trails with me, eating like a champ and chasing every squirrel in the yard. Surgeon and ICU dr. weren't very encouraging. Kept telling us that she had a 50/50 chance even with surgery. Yada,yada, yada. Imagine me with my fingers in my ears, singing a tune to block it all out. She had surgery to find that the anti inflammatories which gave her such a good quality of life gave her an ulcer which perforated. She is immuno suppressed from chemo. She was full of infection and fungal infection(candida) Her system was already starting into septic shock. Very little chance she would make it through the night. She had a central line and 3 IV's plus cardiac monitor. Saturday morning she made it through the night with irregular heart beats that required lidocaine. I went to the people pharmacy to get the anti fungal pills for our sweet HS. I sat in her cage in ICU and just petted her and whispered in her ear. We had trails to walk and I wasn't ready to let her stop fighting. I was less emotional when easy child had his craniotomy. I could do nothing more than I was doing. Twice a day I stayed with her in her cage and petted her. Sunday morning she made it through another night but they told us she wasn't out of the woods yet. She was standing and peeing though. They gave her bits of dog food. Ha! no way was that going to entice her. I brought small bits of cheese and boiled chicken breast and lean ground beef. She nibbled. Sunday night I brought her a whopper with nothing on it. She WOLFED it down. Monday AM I was pretty sure HS was going to make it but the ICU staff didn't want me to have false hope. Oncologist came by and almost did a jig, he was so happy to see HS make it. I guess not many of his patients do. Tuesday HS jumped up in her cage and barked when I left. They finally said, "she's fine". They took all her lines out and thought she could go home on lots of antibiotics. HS heard home and refused to get back into the cage until I took care of the discharge. 2 wks she wasn't allowed outside without a leash. No running, jumping or playing around. It must have hurt like the dickens to squat.

Now we are 4wks out. We have gotten her weight back up to normal with baby food(thanks SRL) whole milk cottage cheese and any decent meats she wanted. She is walking the trails with gusto. Eating everything. This last visit with the oncologist has us hopeful. Her lung and bone tumors are all sort of hovering at the same size. She got one dose of oral chemo yesterday. It didn't sit well with her so we are going to hold off. My goal is to get her to the 12month point with a continued good quality of life.
Not to say I didn't do a lot of negotiating with husband about such expense for a dog with a terminal diagnosis. I offered to let him halt the treatment. (lol- no way would he do that) I gave up some things I wanted to do in the next year. It was worth it. She is the sweetest tempered dog I have ever seen or had.

So obviously my puppy was more traumatic than the house blowing down but all of it is sort of balled up together.
difficult child sat on the floor with me the night we took her to the ER and cried with me. This was a big deal for him. He really understood how sick she was and what the loss of her presence would feel like.

For the humorous side of this, husband said while I was whispering to Honeysue when she was so sick I must have told her "to stay away from the light".
My husband can be a clown. We also see a little willfulness to do what she wants. husband thinks she got herself a "bucket list" that she has to fulfill.

difficult child has interviewed for a job and social services is going to do an intake interview next week. He is pleasant and helpful but still needs prodding and cueing. I still hope that there is an appropriate adult assisted living situation for difficult child but who knows.

easy child loves working full time and is doing well within the organization. He went out on a date. He is a cutie.

Mom is a little goofier than before but she wants to "die planting tomatoes than sitting on the couch watching tv" So that's what she does.

The house is almost settled and life continues on. I miss being on the site more often and will pick up more soon but there just hasn't been much to report on for difficult child.

So Genny, Star, Witz, Tammy and wyntersgrace hopefully I haven't bored you to death with the trials and tribulations of Mrs Fran household. Life is never dull and a lot of juggling going on.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Fran

I was close to bawling as I read about HS and her mighty close call. I'm so glad you guys found each other. And keeping fingers crossed with the cancer. Maybe since it's slow growing the chemo will have more effect than expected.

So very sorry about the house. I wouldn't know where to begin with that sort of thing. Saying a prayer it works out for you.

Sounds like you've been one mighty busy woman/mom/ mummy to HS and CB. ((((hugs))))

Wiped Out

Staff member
Fran,
I meant to respond to this sooner. It sure has been a rough road for you lately. I'm glad Honey Sue is doing as well as she is. I can see why your husband says she has a bucket list.

I'm sorry your houses have so much damage from the hurricane.

Glad to hear easy child seems happy and that difficult child is being pleasant and helpful.

As always you and your family remain in my prayers.

witzend

Oh, man, Fran it was like watching "Old Yeller" all over again! I am such a sucker for a dog story, and I know what you mean when you say that HS is the sweetest thing. My Bubba is the same way. He was coughing and snorfing a few weeks ago and went into his kennel to hide. He never goes in there and I couldn't get him out. I was bawling! L is his favorite, so I had to get her over to the house to make him come out. It was another infection, so more antibiotics. I know that someday they will stop working, but I wasn't ready for him to go out in the garage in the crate where I couldn't hug and love him! The door to the crate remains closed and locked, now.

I hope that FEMA will come through for you on the house. What a chore! It must be very hard being so far away from it all that you can't be in more control. But, at least you aren't wondering how long you're going to have to eke it out at the hotel or your sister-in-law's house! Still, I hope you will get something resolved fairly quickly. Not like those folks still waiting on help from Katrina.

What's mom going to plant now that winter is coming? Does she have a greenhouse? Hopefully she will find something creative to keep the juices flowing.

Nancy

Fran,

Thanks for the update. I think it's great that your Mom wants to plant tomatoes instead of sitting on the couch watching tv. What a great attitude. I hope your house problems get resolved.

I love hearing about your family.

Nancy

Fran

Former desparate mom
Last I checked mom was canning tomatoes and peppers. LOL.

Witz, believe me when I tell you that I have shocked myself with the depth of my grief over HoneySue. I know you have mentioned your sweet Bubba. I keep hoping that doggy medicine will improve and we are able to get medical insurance so that everyone can get help for their best buddies.

Nancy, my family is still heavily part of my life. I miss my sisters and brother although I am in touch every week or more often. Baby sis in Minnesota would like to be transferred nearer to NC. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Middle sis has a good group of friends in Dallas. I'm sure she would like to be closer but her support circle is in Texas. Baby brother, his sweet wife and baby girl are close to mom but I keep hoping they will be closer someday but Pa. isn't too far. I am keeping tabs on mom via phone, neighbors and her doctor. I will be back and forth pretty often over the winter. Mom will come down for a month at the Christmas holidays just to break up the winter.

Going down to Galveston for a few days hopefully, will help resolve some big questions. It's pretty worrisome.
There are advantages to having difficult child nearby although I know he is bored and frustrated. He can stay with mom and the puppies when I need to get back and forth to Galveston.

Thanks so much for asking about me. You all are such a big part of my life I appreciate you remembering to ask about me.

If I ever get pygmy goats, or miniature donkeys I'll invite you all down to meet them. LOL.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Well you are certainly a warrior Mom to all. Thank you for sharing with us. I am sorry about your house.
I hope Honeysue has a long list.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Dear Fran,

Well, I guess you really know how attached you can get to people and pets in cyberspace when you read a story like HoneySue's and sit at your monitor and cry. Cry for a friend whom you've never met, and a beautiful furry soul you've never met either - both such fighters with a bucket list. (lol)

I'm sitting here drinking dandelion tea and thinking how peaceful life is with Pootie at my feet and Casper snoring away. I remember when he had his intestinal block. He ate his leather collar, buckle, tags and all. There was also a milk jug and something nearly unidentifiable in the bag the vet handed us. Casper started to shiver and wouldnt' stop. Xrays would shock us all. The surgery bill while really the star of the show didn't phase me at all - LIke you said for your love - Well worth it. I have no regrets, I have my luv.

This has not been such a great year in the P household huh? So I'm sending some strong vibes and possible some stronger fumes from this tea (wow) and wishing that things are from here on out - better once you get to your house in TX and I hope easier for your entire household, espeically our precious HS. Gotta love a kid that stands up and says TAKE ME HOME NOW MOM - (and avoids the light) lol GOOD GIRL (hugs HS) and yes you too cowboy - lol

Hugs
Thanks for the update and the kind thoughts about the mini donks....I'm still wishing for that farm. Upstate Ohio...lol

Star