Freaking out about mtg with school psychiatric today!

TiredSoul

Warrior Mom since 2007
I have a meeting today with the school psychologist at difficult child's school. I am so incredibly nervous. He has observed and talked to difficult child once in his class. I have never met or spoken to him. We sent a letter to the s.d. on 8/30 requesting an MDE, but have not received anything in writing from them. The only thing we know at this point is we have a meeting with the school on Oct. 4th (set up by his teacher because of my letter requesting evaluation).

Is there anything I need to be worried about disclosing to this man that might interfere with the process?

crazymama30

I have had little to do with our school psychologist. The only time I was involved with him was when difficult child threatened another child and had to go thru an evaluation. I hope yours is brigter than ours. Good luck.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I don't know??? When I requested the MDE, husband and I met with the school psychiatric to sign consent for them to assess. K and go over what test they were going to do. She asked us if we wanted her eyes checked, hearing ect. We discussed our concerns etc. She gave us a bunch of paperwork, Vineland, ABC etc. To fill out. It was no big deal kind of a preliminary to the big meeting.
I don't know if this is common or what most schools do???

TiredSoul

Warrior Mom since 2007
Totoro,
If that's what it is - I can handle that. He didn't tell me anything other than he wanted to meet to talk about difficult child. And of course husband is at work, so it's just me. I have NO experience with psychologists/psychiatrists/therapists. I feel like he is going to be looking me up and down and trying to analyze me or something. Ok maybe that is just paranoia (my anxiety).

LittleDudesMom

I am going to assume that this meeting is as a result of your requesting testing. I also had to sign papers, although they were signed at a child study meeting to begin the process of seeing if he qualified for an IEP.

I also had to meet with the school psychiatric to do some "social" background and rating scales as part of that testing process. The school counselor was the one that did the classroom observations on my son rather than the school psychiatric who basically administered psychological testing.

Did you get a phone call requesting the meeting or did you get a letter? I think I would have asked about the nature of the meeting if there was any doubt.

If you feel uncomfortable, at any time, with any of the questions, don't answer. Be honest and open about how comforable and uncomfortable you are with sharing any answers or information with him.

Good luck and let us know what happens when you return.

Sharon

nvts

Jules: relax! It's usually a meeting to get family history/background (milestones, when he started potty training, talking -not talking BACK - just talking, walking, crawling, etc.) siblings, mom, dad, etc. then they walk you through the process. Sometimes they'll do the observations and give you a recommendation for further testing etc.

I've always found that treating them as if they have your difficult child's interests at heart (prior to them opening thier mouths) and keeping a careful eye on them, it's usually pretty comfortable. Just make sure that you take notes right in front of him. They tend to be more detailed (rather than vague) than not.

Let us know how it goes!

Beth