Freaking out-rough night!!!!

mog

As you know we had to put difficult child into a shelter yesterday and even though I am sad i was planning to do things with easy child to get her ready to leave for college and have some fun but after a hard day with difficult child we spent the night at the emergency room with easy child. easy child (18) is supposed to go to camp next week but after having her in the ER I am worried to send her but she is determined to go. She had been having a lot of problems with Naseau and was on reglan then got off after the shaking started but in the last three days the shaking got worse. Last night they were so severe -her whole body shaking to the point that she could not stand. After coming home from ER at 2:00 in the morning-I've been up and down all night checking on her. She slept today until three in the afternoon. It is almost seven now and so far she has had 7 episodes. Yesterday they were coming on like every 4 min lasting 30 sec. to 1 min. but had hours that she didn't have any at all. They want her to see a Neorologist so I called to schedule today. In the mean time I am keeping a close eye on her. Long day !!!

TerryJ2

Mog, why is she on the Reglan?

Here is some info on it. At the end, it says that the most serious side effects include involuntary muscle movements, and mimick Parkinson's. From your description of her shaking, that's what it sounds like. I would take her off of it asap.

Pharmacy Author: Omudhome Ogbru, PharmD
Medical and Pharmacy Editor: Jay W. Marks, MD
GENERIC NAME: metoclopramide

BRAND NAME: Reglan, Octamide, Maxolon

DRUG CLASS AND MECHANISM: Metoclopramide is a "prokinetic" drug that stimulates the muscles of the gastrointestinal tract including the muscles of the lower esophageal sphincter, stomach, and small intestine by interacting with receptors for acetylcholine and dopamine on gastrointestinal muscles and nerves.
The lower esophageal sphincter, located between the esophagus and the stomach, normally prevents reflux of acid and other contents in the stomach from backing up into the esophagus. In patients with gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), a weakened lower esophageal sphincter allows reflux of stomach acid into the esophagus, causing heartburn and damage to the esophagus (esophagitis). Metoclopramide decreases the reflux of stomach acid by strengthening the muscle of the lower esophageal sphincter. Metoclopramide also stimulates the muscles of the stomach and thereby hastens emptying of solid and liquid meals from the stomach and into the intestines.
In some patients, particularly those with diabetes, damage to nerves in the stomach can interfere with function of the muscles and cause delayed emptying of the stomach, resulting in nausea, vomiting, a sense of abdominal fullness and distention, and heartburn (diabetic gastroparesis). Metoclopramide can be effective in relieving the symptoms related to diabetic gastroparesis by stimulating more rapid emptying of the stomach as well as decreasing the reflux of stomach acid into the esophagus. Dopamine receptors on nerves in the brain are important in producing nausea. Metoclopramide interacts with the dopamine receptors in the brain and can be effective in treating nausea. The FDA approved metoclopramide in June 1985.
PRESCRIPTION: Yes
GENERIC AVAILABLE: Yes

PREPARATIONS:
  • Tablets: 5 and 10 mg.
  • Syrup: 5 mg/5 ml.
  • Injection: 5 mg/ml
STORAGE: Tablets and syrup should be stored between 15-30 C (59-86 F). Injectable metoclopramide should be stored at room temperature 20-25 C (68-77 F).
PRESCRIBED FOR: Metoclopramide is used on a short term basis (4 to 12 weeks) for treating patients with heartburn and esophagitis due to GERD and for treating patients who have gastroparesis. Metoclopramide is used to promote emptying of the stomach prior to radiological examinations and to facilitate passage of tubes passed through the nose or mouth and into the small intestine. It is used for treating impaired function of muscles of the small intestine that may give rise to symptoms that mimic intestinal obstruction (nausea, vomiting, and abdominal distention). Metoclopramide also is used in the treatment of nausea due to surgery or cancer chemotherapy.
DOSING:
The usual dose of metoclopramide for treating GERD is 10-15 mg four times daily, 30 minutes before each meal.
Gastroparesis is treated with 10 mg administered orally four times daily, 30 minutes before each meal and at bedtime.
DRUG INTERACTIONS: Since metoclopramide accelerates emptying of the stomach, it can increase or decrease absorption and effects of other drugs that are absorbed in the small intestine. For example, the effects of alcohol, diazepam (Valium) and cyclosporine can be accelerated when used together with metoclopramide. Conversely, metoclopramide may decrease the concentrations in blood of digoxin (Lanoxin) and cimetidine (Tagamet). Metoclopramide should not be used in patients taking MAO inhibitors for example, isocarboxazid (Marplan), phenelzine (Nardil), tranylcypromine (Parnate), selegiline (Eldepryl), and procarbazine (Matulane), because of the risk of serious adverse effects due to excess release of neurotransmitters. Concurrent administration of anticholinergic drugs can decrease the effectiveness of metoclopramide.
PREGNANCY: The safety of metoclopramide in pregnancy has not been established.
NURSING MOTHERS: Metoclopramide is excreted in human breast milk. Nursing mothers should avoid metoclopramide during pregnancy.
SIDE EFFECTS: Metoclopramide is generally well-tolerated when used in low doses for brief periods. Neurological side effects increase with higher doses and longer periods of treatment. Common side effects of metoclopramide include drowsiness, restlessness, fatigue, anxiety, insomnia, depression, and sedation. The most serious neurological side effects of metoclopramide are symptoms mimicking Parkinson's disease, involuntary muscle movements, facial grimacing, and dystonic reactions resembling tetanus. Fortunately, these more serious side effects are infrequent and usually - though not always - disappear when metoclopramide is discontinued. Patients with Parkinson's disease can experience worsening of symptoms with metoclopramide. Metoclopramide may impair the mental and/or physical abilities to drive or operate machinery.

Last Editorial Review: 9/15/2008

flutterby

Fly away!
I was going to mention what Terry said. It can cause those side effects.

I took reglan one time. Never again. I wasn't doing the shaking thing, but i couldn't be still. I was hooked up to an iv and literally dancing from foot to foot. And I was really sick with a kidney infection - was on iv for fluids because I couldn't keep anything down for days. I couldn't wait for the entire litre of fluids to go in (and I was even squeezing the bag to try to make it go faster!). I had to get unhooked and leave. And the hospital staff noted it because it made my blood pressure go up.

It took 3 klonopin to feel like I wasn't going to jump out of my skin.

susiestar

Roll With It
I am so sorry. I know how scary it is. Jessie had a similar reaction to elavil (amitryptiline). It lasted for about 10 days after she stopped the medication. the doctor called it an "extra pyramidal reaction" because it acts on a certain area of the brain.

I hope her shaking goes away, if it doesn't I would NOT let her go. She will need to be monitored at home until it goes away, at the lowest level of care the docs will prescribe.

Hugs to both of you. That shaking HURTS.

mog

Thanks for your your support. Her boyfriend and she had an attitude today because I would not let them go to the movies but I told them both I need to see the reaction to the medications for several days in order for me to make a decision. Yeah she still is saying that she is going on this trip no matter what but I told her that if she can't even stand up on her own or have a level head she is NOT going to be out of my site. She already stopped the medications and has an appointment with neoro. and primary but they are far out but I plan on calling every morning to see if they have a cancellation in order to get her in.
I totally trust easy child when she is not on the medications but she is loopy and can not drive and can barely walk while on the medications- she never tried any drugs before does not drink alcohol and when they gave her the medications she really freaked out and I don't trust OTHERS around her whle on the medications. (difficult child was really concerned when he found out)
I told her that IF she is still planning to go on the trip that the next couple of days she needed to get up early take the medications and function ok all day in order for me to let her go on the trip and she sure in H e ** NOT going to be alone with her boyfriend while so out of control because she has made a vow to be celebet until her wedding night which I am so proud of and I do not want anyone to take advantage of her while she is "not herself"
I thank you for the info we have also been checking it out --OH she was on reglan for naesau problems. I can't make her understand that I can't send her out into the world all disfunctionable. (UGH all teenagers KNOW IT ALL)
Side note -we saw difficult child today and he was happy go lucky- he was trying to engage in conversation with easy child but at tht point she had just taken the medications and just sat there laughing at him for nothing. (Makes my heart feel beter when they show true feelings for eachother most of the time they are fighting)