Freedom is not Free

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Thank You sheila. :)

I love that.

Met someone on facebook who is an Army wife, made sure to thank her husband, and that she knew I appreciated what he is doing. I do this with any military. They so need to hear that, and they deserve it.

Hugs

witzend

I appreciate the bravery and sacrifices that our Troops make for us.

I appreciate the bravery of people who are not afraid to speak their minds about their disenchantment with our government.

And while I disagree with the political and religious philosophies of many people I know, I don't know one single unpatriotic American. And regardless of their philosophies, I don't know one single American who doesn't support our Troops.

Can't we support our Troops without trying to insinuate that some others don't appreciate them enough?

Lothlorien

I don't think anything was insinuated here. It's just a lovely scrapbook that Sheila put together and wanted to share.

Sheila

During my research for this album, one of the repeated themes that I ran across from veterans and troops is that all they want from Americans is appreciation and thank yous.

At the very least, I hope veterans, troops and their families get my 'thank you' message. I hope they also understand that they are honored.

'Can't we support our Troops without trying to insinuate that some others don't appreciate them enough?'

This isn't about you witz " it's about our military personnel, their families and their sacrifices for our Country.

No 'insinuation' was made, so I feel no need to apologize to you for your guilty feelings. But hope you learn to cut yourself some slack witz.

flutterby

Fly away!
I read the insinuation, too, before I even read the rest of the thread.

Being able to speak freely and complain and protest is what makes us a free society and is exactly what our troops fight and sacrifice to protect. To insinuate that one cannot (or should not) protest a war (or anything else within our government) while simultaneously supporting and honoring are troops is a slap in the face of democracy.

And I don't have any guilty feelings myself.

witzend

I have no guilty feelings either. Insulted feelings that this is still being insinuated by people at the very least should understand that even people who stand up for unpopular opinions are patriotic Americans, too, and don't need to have the Troops waved in our face as though we don't care about them. We do.

Marguerite

I wasn't able to open this so I can't comment on whether this sends any message other than the one intended. However, I do regularly receive pro-military photo-essays from a friend who is in the Aussie armed services. A lot of her material is US in origin, some of it re-worded to make it seem Australian.

It's a fine line - we do need to support our troops even if we don't agree with them being sent to some of the places our governments send them. There is a difference between our objecting to our government's choices and to our respect for our troops. I think we forgot that back in Vietnam. A great Aussie movie, "The Odd Angry Shot", dealt with this. I think it was a Kennedy Miller, the team responsible for "Mad Max" (aka "Road Warrior"). The film follows a troop of Aussie SAS embedded in Vietnam through to their return home and the lack of respect they got on their return simply because Vietnam was increasingly an unpopular war. I worked with Viet vets and saw the damage done to them by the combination of the horrific conditions plus the lack of support they got on their return from a public whose objectnion to our involvement carried over into disrespect for the men who went. That disrespect ran deep into the returned servicemen's league themselves and it literally took decades for the healing to begin.

Like you Witz, I objected strenuously to our involvement in Iraq at the time we went. Not Afghanistan, that was different. But now we're there, there is a job to do and we can't just walk away. We now have an obligation. But even if you don't think so (and being a free country, it is good to be able to say what we feel without fear of reprisal) we still should, I feel, respect the efforts of those soldiers who are risking their lives there. They have no say in where they are sent, they simply have to do their job to the best of their abilities. If we want to get angry (and we are free to do so) then it is our politicians who deserve the focus of our frustrations.

I have no guilt for holding the views that I do, but I will still cheer and wave as our troops march through the streets on their return. I'll beespecially glad when we have more of our troops available for peacekeeping duties in other parts of the world, such as East Timor (very close to home and very much in need of our troops). I wish we lived in a world where armed services were not needed, not to fight wars anyway.

husband served, so did both our fathers. But I'm glad neither of our boys will serve. I really don't think it would be good for them, nor would it be good for our armed services. difficult child 1 had a close school friend (also difficult child) who joined up and was, I beleive, a liability. The army was good to him but they did eventually get rid of him when it became obvious there was nothing they could use him for. They did their best for him, but it was a mistake.

Some of us are able to do this. A lot of us can't. For those who join up - it changes them. It can be very difficult for them and for their families.

Remember, I'm saying this not having seen the slideshow (or whatever it is). I would like to see it and I will try again tomorrow. I respect the feelings that would have prompted creating it.

Marg