fresh bread anyone?

therese005us

I'm about to take out the best loaf i've made in over six months - and it's for the show competition later today!! Now that I have finally got the recipe right, I may as well stay up a little longer and make another right?
Just about all cooked out for one day.
I've got four more souper rolls to cook and then I'd better take my hoarse and get some sleep till 5.am or so....

What favorite simple afternoon tea recipes do you have to share?

Marguerite

Trish, are you using a bread machine?

We get the Laucke bread mix, Coles have it (the larger stores) in a very handy 10 Kilo calico sack. Crusty white...

I find it is a bit mroe expensive but still give us loaves of bread for under a dollar each.

I make up a bread dough for rolls, I might do a foccaccia type recipe and use it for pizza base. I've made foccaccia by patting the dough out into a non-stick baking dish. Sprinkle it with mixed herbs and rock salt, ten bake. Fabulous! We cut it into six and then cut each of those pieces open and fill with various things, finishing them off in a sandwich press.

I also use the dough to make a savoury Chelsea bun. I roll it out flat (into a rectangle) and spread it with various fillings (like a pizza - any pizza toppping). I then roll it into a long sausage shape enclosing the fillnig inside the tube, cut rounds off the tube and nestle the rounds together so I have a row of concentric circles of dough all tucked into a round cake tin or similar. They should be touching. Let it rise and bake in a hot oven. Sprinkle it with grated cheese if you want, or anything else similar.

I've also use a brioche dough recipe and made sweet Chelsea buns (recipe in this month's Better Homes & Gardnes, I think - or last month). Or I use a silicone ring mould and divide the brioche dough in half, making two ring brioches. I glaze them with beaten egg then when baking is almost done, I unmould them, turn them upside down, glaze the underside and bake that too. Serve sliced with jam & cream, Devonshire tea style. Whenever husband's great-uncle comes down from Brisbane, we always make this for him. I bake it in mother in law's oven so she can pretend it's her doing and impress her brother in law. While one is baking, the other is rising in the (very warm from the sun) laundry. I just slide one out right onto a serving platter (an old pizza tray) and slide the next one in. By the time the first one has been demolished, the second one is ready to come out of the oven.

Much easier and healthier than several batches of scones!

I have also used the brioche recipe to make croissants, but it's tricker, you have to spread the flat sheet of dough with butter then fold it, roll it out again and keep chilling it to stop the butter from melting and being incorporated into the dough. But if you time it right, you do the final rise stage in the fridge overnight, so first thing in the morning you shove the croissants into the oven for the final bake.

I LOVE my bread machine!

Marg

therese005us

I do use a bread machine - then I can get on with several other things.
But FIRST, I have to grind the wheat - i'm the original Little Red Hen! I get the wheat from brother in law's property in big 44gal drums and store it. Usually I get a ton a year.
last night after the first loaf came out, around 2am I think (it's a bit blurry now) I was so impressed, and disappointed (cos I had to take it to the show) that I made another. When i got up this morning, no water! Hmm, something tripped the safety switch unless we had another flood i didn't know about during the wee hours. But no, it was the breadmaker. It had tripped the safety switch because my bread dough was not turning the paddle or something. So I baked that in my regular wood stove oven. I just had a piece - I won't tell you more, you might get jealous!!

all those other ideas are great, I mean to try them out.

We spent an hour or so at the show. DD11 took out 3 out of 4 for her cooking entries and photo entries, art and craft. so she did well.
Little cherub had a look around with us, and I took her to school late. She had a good morning.

Today I take her home.

I am concerned. Bio mum phoned and during the chat it transpires that she doesn't put a night nappy on her, but lets her wet the bed EVERY night.

Also doesn't have money for medicine AGAIN, even though I've been looking after her for nix for all this time.:angry-very::(

GRRRRHHHH!!!

I'd better go wash all the pooey clothes before I relax for five minutes.

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
I don't think US people do afternoon tea. I have read Agatha Christie and Dorothy Sayers, love both of them, feel like I'm missing out on some civilised ritual. There was once something called the Russian Tea Room in New York City but it closed.

Could you please explain the cultural importance of afternoon tea? I'm dead serious about this. I have come to love rituals after years of rebellion (Catholic).

therese005us

I don't thnk you do morning tea either, but we have US friends and we have converted them to both morning and afternoon tea!! It is a thoroughly British adoption. I'm British myself, so it is no effort for me. British also have High tea...

Anyway, morning tea, 10.am ish and afternon tea around 3pm. Cuppa tea (or coffee if you must) with dainties, like scones (biscuits you call them), jam and cream or cookies (i'm using my US slang now!!), muffins or suchlike. Quick morning teas are given in the workplace, of around 15 mins, but to do it properly, I recommend at least 30-45 mins!!

the Ocker Aussies would term these work breaks as smokos - I'll let Marg sort that one out!!

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
What is an "Ocker Aussie"?

I was raised French and they always scowled at the american lack of respect for food and its rituals. We had two hour lunches. I loved it but I found out later that these long lunch breaks were designed for the amorous assignations of the working French man. I hate losing my illusions.

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
I want one of all those scrumptious goodies you ladies were talking about. I like Abbey agree you can never have too much bread. And the breads you were describing sound divine.

beth

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
When my girls were little, we had afternoon tea times every weekend. I had special china tea cups and saucers that I reserved for our tea times and each week the girls would choose one of the 6 sets I had. We would serve our tea with either homemade biscuits and jam or shortbread cookies.

difficult child even had a "Tea Party" for her 4th birthday party. Each child was invited to bring along a favorite stuffed animal. When they arrived, my older niece and easy child dressed up each guest and put a dab of makeup on them. Then they all sat down for some tea and sweets with their dolls or bears or whatever. Afterward, they all went outside and played games until their parents arrived for pick up. I have pictures of the party - all the girls had a great time!

We often have an afternoon tea together. It's just a nice way to take a pleasant and relaxing break in our day.

Marguerite

Something else you MUST have for a classic English afternoon tea, is cucumber sandwiches, and bread and butter. It's referred to in "The IMportance of Being Earnest" by Oscar Wilde. The bread and butter has to be as sandwiches also, and the cucumber sandwiches need to have cucumbersliced very thin on bread cut very thin. The sandwiches are made and cut very small.

I do my own version of these - I use a breadslicer from the people who make the bread machines, so we can get even slices. For afternoon tea, crusts must be cut off. I begin with frozen bread slices (easier to manipulate). Spread them with low-fat spreadable Philly then top with paper-thin cucumber slices (I use lebanese cucumbers for preference - they aren't so fleshy and watery). A fine chopping of dill and mint and you're done. Cut the crusts off then cut each sandwich into 8 pieces. It helps if you press them with a rolling pin first.

Thev idea is - you should be able to eat them without having to take bites out of them, you should be able to leave your gloves on.

Devonshire teas are more commonly found these days. The cucumber sandwiches are lovely for a summer afternoon tea.

It's something special to have when you're entertaining a friend. You would make the cucumber sandwiches ahead of time and keep them covered in the fridge (they are nicer when chilled). Serve with a freshly brewed pot of tea made with leaf tea, not tea bags. Invite the vicar.

Marg

trinityroyal

Oh yes, cucumber sandwiches, exactly as Marg described them, bread-and-butter sandwiches, also crustless and cut into 8ths.

Some other little dainties for afternoon tea:

Cream cheese and olive rolled sandwiches
  1. Take some sort of party bread (like Wonder bread or another similar brand...flat, not too much grain, airy and not too substantial), either white or brown.
  2. Cut off the crusts so that you have even squares
  3. Spread greaseproof paper or parchment paper on your work surface
  4. Lay out the bread so that you have 2 or 3 slices up (depends on how thick you want the rolls, I usually do 2 slices up), and several across. Ensure that the second row of bread slices slightly overlaps the first row
  5. Flatten all the bread with a rolling pin
  6. Spread cream cheese across the big flat bread surface
  7. Decorate with sliced olives. Green olives with pimientos are pretty, but any sliced olives will do.
  8. Roll up the bread, just as if you were making a jelly roll or swiss roll. Try to keep the roll tight and even.
  9. Once you have a long tube, slice the roll into disks.
Voila! Cream cheese and olive rolled sandwiches.

Very dainty, and should be small enough to eat in a single bite

Petit fours
My absolute favourite tea party treat
Little square cakees, drenched in white fondant icing, with pretty little icing flowers on top.
(I cheat by buying those little pre-made icing flowers. Just put a dab of icing on top of each iced square, then stick the pre-fab icing flower down)