friend came in today...... and

Jena

we had fun, went into town, ate lunch with difficult child, went into stores. we hung out last weekend in city together got nails done etc.

we haven't hung out in a really long time, yet she's my oldest friend. we've been friends since im a teenager. we get along great and it's been huge for me to start taking care of me again this way.

yet what we noticed was everyone was staring at her in a way in which well we knew was because she was black. after we walked thru town she said to me did you see what was going on? she said ppl were staring at me, i thought that type of junk was over.... scary it isn't. she said everyone in this town looks the same to me, like clones.

kinda scary in this day and time that that would happen, don't ya think? once again another X for my neighborhood

H

HaoZi

Hooray for rich redneck bigot neighbors. I grew up where the rebel flag is still flying and a number of my best friends are black. I recall one of them being called names like "Oreo" for hanging with me.
Or maybe they just think you're a couple, lol! Gotten that mistake a number of times with certain friends when we'd go out. We'd just play it up and have fun making them uncomfortable.

DammitJanet

Ya know, I dont get a lot of that thinking. Either I am colorblind in some sense or I simply dont realize things until someone points someone's race out to me. Now there are some folks who are black that are very, very dark skinned and it is hard not to notice but it really doesnt occur to me to think of them in any bad way but lots of people I tend to just think of as people then others will say that they are black or asian or mexican or latin or some other race and Im like...really? I just thought they had nice tans...lol. Or maybe they were mixed race. More and more I just think...people are Americans and I really dont know what ethnicity has a darned thing to do with anything. I mean I am some kind of peachy color with red dappled in in some places. I really wouldnt call that white. My ethnic roots come from Germany down through Canada with a tiny bit of French Canadian Indian and somewhere along the line some Scottish blood. So what does that make me?

H

HaoZi

American.

While I grew up waaay down south, the city itself was very diverse, there were people from all over. So when I go to Disney or other places that I see tourists from all over the world, they all look American to me. I don't realize they're not until I hear someone translating for the group.

Jena

yea ppl amaze me in this day and age. i blew it off, yet i'm not black so easy for me to i guess. it was just odd i've known her most of my life, and she lives in manhattan so it's multi cultural there, i lived in brooklyn many years ago that is the same type of neighborhood. it was just odd to see her become so bothered by it at her age.

it was also odd to see how backwards ppl can still be and astonishingly ignorant. i'm betting next time we get together it'll be on her turf lol

TerryJ2

In Long Island? Sheeesh.

Or maybe it's because she's amazingly gorgeous AND black?

Just trying to find a better answer (in my Pollyanna world) ...

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Interesting... I would think people would not be so obvious. I mean, hello - sounds like they were calling attention to themselves, not her!

I'm one of those people that looks at it this way - we all bleed red. Treat me like a human, I'll do the same for you. Even if you're green and puce.

One of the kids at school with Jett has been calling him derogatory names - Jett is 1/4 Japanese, and has the classic round, semi-flat face and slightly slanted eyes that look closed even when they are not. He's beautiful - but clearly part Asian. I pointed out to him that sometimes, people feel so bad about themselves that to feel better, they have to make other people feel bad. Which just makes them look sad...