Friend is back in the hospital.

Lothlorien

I am convinced she has Celiac Disease. Can you give me some websites with really good info on Celiac and/or sites that you can buy gluten free products that you really like? Thanks.

I told her that if she went on the gluten free diet for two weeks and didn't feel better, I will cook dinner for her every night for a week straight.

Josie

A good site is www.glutenfreeforum.com or www.celiac.com. They are the same website but the first one is a forum. That website will hammer home the idea that the testing is not accurate and you can have celiac disease (or gluten intolerance, if you want to call it that) and not have a positive test.

Has she been tested for it and come up negative? It is hard for people to disregard doctors telling them it is not celiac. I listened to the doctors for 7 years before I found that site. I did testing at www.enterolab.com but this test is easy to dismiss if you aren't willing to accept it.

I would cook from fresh, whole foods for the first 2 weeks. You can use Tinkyada pasta that is gluten free. Gluten Free Pantry makes a really good brownie mix that I thought was better than regular even before I had to be gluten free. I would mostly try to cook "regular" foods that are naturally gluten free. Another good option is tacos with gluten free taco shells and seasoning. Those are not hard to find.

Lothlorien

She was in the hospital for two weeks and they finally came up with an irritation at the end of her bowel, which they attributed to Crohn's. I say it is BS. I'm convinced that it's Celiac. She fits about 90% of the symptoms. I'll pass those websites on to her. Thanks.

She loves bread. I told her there is Brown Rice Bread that she can get, but I'm not sure if it's any good. I told her that if she just did it religiously for the first two weeks, I'm convinced that she will feel better.

Anyone else?

Josie

I don't think any gluten free bread is very good. I used to love bread, too. I would eat the entire bread basket myself if we ate at a restaurant. I don't miss it, now that I see how it makes me feel.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Well, as a parent of a kid with Crohn's, I can say I sure hope it's not THAT! Can't imagine celiac being much fun either. Hope they figure it out and get her started on the appropriate treatment soon so she can get back to her life again!

Lothlorien

GVC, she's been treated for Crohn's. She had surgery last year and she's been on prednisone for weeks now, since the last flare up. Thing is, I honestly don't think it's Crohn's.

My brother (who died last year) had Crohn's. I, unfortunately, know quite a bit about it.

SRL

I have a friend who has celiac in the family and they're saying it can take up to a year of being gluten free to see dietary results.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Sorry to hear about your friend feeling so poorly. I don't know much about Celiac's. Sorry.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Loth, it is possible to have both Crohn's AND Celiac (which I truly hope is NOT the case with your friend).

Sending prayers up for her healing!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Loth

Sending up prayers. I hope they can get it figured out soon. Maybe if she tries the diet and it works it'll be enough they'll do the testing.

Hugs

Star*

call 911........call 911
http://www.gicare.com/pated/edtgs06.htm

Don't know a thing about celiac's or being glueten free -but found this informative web site that may help you....scroll down; at the bottom are places to write or email for help and possibly diets AND a selection of places that provide food.

Hugs to your friend.