From Compassion: difficult child is In PHOSPITAL!!!!

It was quite a day but she is in phospital which will be her gateway to Residential Treatment Center (RTC).
She partied intil 2:30 AM. husband call CIT officers (Crisis Intervention Team officers) about 8:45 AM. I am very gratefu to NAMI for this info and availablity. Nami trains officers (225 in our small city so far) wih 40 hour training in dealing iwth severly mentally ill in psychiatric emergenices. He requested no lights/sirens. They were amazingly calm and difficult child went to crisis stabilizastion in back of theri squad car peacefully and said she would sign into phosiptal peacefully. We got in car and headed to phosiptal and she flew into a rge.(This dual diagnosis facitlity is not in our county and cops could not transport her there.) It was pretty scary!!! She was trying to grab steering wheel and kept ragin to go home. She bit me, hit me and kept theatneing to kill herserlf, escape,etc. We got lost and when we got there, lunch had just ended, ggot us some food and then there ws a FOUR hour intake. difficult child is throwing fit though most of it. Crying raging, you don't love me, you are sending me away. Going through her behavior, it was such a releif and so much the right thing. I had grieved so much, I wasn't wavering. She admisttd to smoking pot last night. She is in pretty bad shape right now: psychoitc is coming down from the drugs. I got home and there was a message from her crying.
Her psychiatrist will see her tomorrow, we will go there tomorrow , I can talk to her daily. I am incredibly releived. I will continue tk post daily. Thanks all for the support.
She was doingsome amazing things like refused to sign herself in and alsmost had her Baker acted to a really scary place but I detached and was able to talk her into doing it, sigining herself in.
She refused to cooperate, she refused at one point to take her piercings out.
For the most part, everyone was very calm and professional.
Compassion

smallworld

Compassion, I know how hard this has been for you, but you stayed strong and did the right thing for your daughter. I hope this psychiatric hospital stay is the start of your daughter's road to recovery. Hugs to you tonight.

susiestar

Roll With It
It is such a hard thing to do. I am sorry it was so tough for you.

Just a question, why does a 15yo have to sign herself in? Here if my 17yo needed to be in a psychiatric hospital I could sign him in with or with-o his consent. It is only over 18 that they need to consent. Is it 15 in your state? If so, I am very sorry.

Gentle hugs, take it easy tonight, and be gentle with yourself and husband for a few days.

I am not sure about the volunutary signing. I guess you cannot coerce someone. This summer, it was also the case. She was Baker acted for 72 hours and then had to volunatary sign for treatment. This place is not a Baker act facility: it is lmore actue care. The crisis stabiliation places are baker Act: 72 hours. Compassion

klmno

Hi, compassion. I just wanted to send support- I couldn't sleep and just got up and read this. As far as signing herself, I ran across a law here (I think it's in effect now) that if a kid is 14yo and disagrees with a parents statements to get them admitted to psychiatric hospital, then a hearing takes place to determine if teen is really acute or not- so basicly- they are tdo'd , then heard at a hearing within a certain amount of days. I believe this law varies from state to state.

Just as a heads up- that abilify revved my son up and he only took it a couple of days.

Last edited:

gcvmom

Here we go again!
No advice, just want you to know I'm thinking of you and believe you did the right thing. I hope this is the beginning of a turnaround for your difficult child.

(((((HUGS)))))

susiestar

Roll With It
I hope it is the beginning of a turnaround and that you can coerce her/convince her that she needs to stay in treatment for more than a couple of days after the acute care/Baker Act 72 hours. here stays are signed for by parents until a child is 18. Before age 18 a child cannot give consent for anything but ob/gyn treatment - adn that is only females who have a statement on file from the parents permitting it. My 17yo cannot even go to the Urgent Care with-o one of us.

Here if a child objects to psychiatric treatment at a psychiatric hospital they can petition a judge and teh hearing is with-in 3 days. Very very rarely do any judges overturn a parent's decision to put their child in the hospital. Very Very Rarely.

I am sorry that is yet another obstacle in getting treatment for your daughter.

Sending support and hugs.

klmno

Hang in there- I know it's hard, but it was much better than the inevitable if you hadn't done it. This might not even change anything, but at least it is a chance for her and a rest for you and a message to her.

And, you can repeat those words to me several times over the upcoming weeks!

LittleDudesMom

C,
I'm so glad to hear that she is in the hospital. Prayers that this is the beginning of a new healing for your daughter. You stayed strong and did the right thing! You are a true warrior mom!

Sharon

smallworld

Susie, states differ on the age of consent for mental health treatment. In Virginia, where my son was admitted to day treatment in a psychiatric hospital last winter, the age of consent for mental health services (however NOT medical treatment) is 14 so my son had to sign himself in. He also had to sign a consent form for me to obtain his records once he left day treatment. It's crazy, I know, but that is the law in Virginia.

TerryJ2

Whew!
I know that was hard for you, but you know you did that absolute, 100% right thing. She desperately needs this help. Some day she will thank you.
I hope you are able to get some sleep and peace in between all of this.
I know you are exhausted, mentally and physically.
{{hugs}}

Star*

call 911........call 911
Just sending some support - HUGS....

Also, while you have a moment I would HIGHLY recommend a book called Crazy for you or anyone with a child having problems with the law/jail/interventions. Quite an eyeopener.

JJJ

In my wonderful state, Kanga and Eeyore both have rights with regards to their mental health treatment. They have to start signing all the papers at 12 years old.

CrazyinVA

Staff member
I am so relieved she is safe, which also means YOU are safe. I think the laws about consent came from many parents admitting their children to facilities years ago when they couldn't handle them, sometimes with no viable reason whatsoever. My daughter(s) always had to consent to treatment, or be TDO'd.

Get some rest... you did great!

L

luvmyottb

Wishing you and your family some peace. I hope she gets what she needs right now. Hugs and support to you.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Thinking of you and you difficult child. Stay strong, you really are amazing with all that you have been through.
Just remember she is sick and she needs help.
No matter if she screams she hates you, you are @*$&$# and a @*#$ brush it all off. I know it hurts, don't let it enter your heart though.
The end result is that your daughter is in a psychotic free-fall of instability right now and she desperately needs help.
You are just doing your warrior Mom job! I hope they get her some help and the system actually helps one of our own.
Hugs to you!