Fruit/gift basket

F

flutterbee

If this is inappropriate, I apologize in advance.

I've been looking online for a fruit/nut/gift basket for my neighbor who plows my driveway (he was out again last night at 9pm doing my driveway). I've checked several sites and Harry and David seems to have the most bang for the buck as well as a really good assortment, but I've never ordered from them. (They also have sugar free spreadable preserves AND chocolates, and since I *think* my neighbor might be diabetic, I wanted to add that to the order.)

Does anyone have any experience with their products? You can PM me if it's not appropriate to answer here. I don't have a lot of money (ahem) to throw around and want to make sure what I pay for is good quality.

I've also seen the edible floral arrangements which is fruit made into floral looking arrangements, but of course the fruit is sliced and I wasn't sure how long they are good for? How long they keep their aesthetic appeal and flavor?

Whatever I order, I'm going to have it shipped here and hand deliver it.

Thanks in advance!

nvts

Target sells a lot of the Harry and David stuff and what we've tried we've really liked.

You might do better calling a local florist and see if they do fruit and nut assortments. Sometimes they're less expensive!

Beth

everywoman

I've got some Harry and David pears sitting in my kitchen now. They were sent by a business connection of husband's. They are the best pears I've ever eaten.

LittleDudesMom

I agree with everywoman - the Royal pears from Harry and David are the best I have ever had. I sent a box of them to my Aunt and Uncle for Christmas this year. They do have a nice small assortment basket of pears, apples and cheese that is quite nice.

Sharon

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
We send out over $2000 worth of H & D gift baskets every year to our KEY clients at work. I am in charge of the selection, ordering, etc. I am always sure to order a little something for the office, as well. Everyone loves them, they are a nice treat. They are a bit pricey, but they have some reasonable ones to choose from.

Your local florist may have something similar using some regional specialties. For instance, we once sent a basket to my H's sister in CA from here in CT. We chose a New England themed basket which included Maple syrup & New England style pancakes (whatever that means), along with some new england maple sugar candy & nutmeg and cinnamon spiced cider mix and a bunch of other stuff. Anyway, she liked it.

Anything I've every had from Harry & David is out of this world.

"Edible Arrangements" makes those floral looking arrangements out of fruit. They last pretty well for a couple of days, better than any florist or grocery. You get what you pay for; they are pricey.

F

flutterbee

I checked Kroger when I was there tonight and their fruit baskets were mediocre quality and overpriced. I've never been big on Kroger produce, anyway. I'll check Buehler's tomorrow. They were closed when I was out; they close at 9pm. They have a better floral and produce department. Other than those two, we don't have any other florists to think of. I'd have to go to Columbus and I'd rather order from a place where I've had good feedback from others.

Thanks for the feedback ladies! I thought Harry and David was very reasonably priced compared to the others I looked at. They had a lot within my budget, but they didn't look skimpy.

F

flutterbee

Originally Posted By: Big Bad Kitty
"Edible Arrangements" makes those floral looking arrangements out of fruit. They last pretty well for a couple of days, better than any florist or grocery. You get what you pay for; they are pricey.

They are pricey, but they looked really cool. Then I remembered that I'm buying for a man. But, I thought I'd ask for future reference.

Thanks!

F

flutterbee

Let me know what you guys think. Also, it won't come until Dec 26 (so they say, sometimes things arrive sooner) and the cheapest alternate shipping method - 3 day shipping - adds $9.99 per item. I just can't do that.

Harry and David has high quality products, I wouldn't hesitate to order from them. I'm sure it's ok if it comes the 26th. It's a gift, he'll be happy with that whenever it gets there. -Alyssa

goldenguru

Their products are top of the line - in the gourmet department in my opinion. Personally, I would go for the jams. He can enjoy them for months to come.

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Anything I have ever received from Harry and David has been great. I would also think it would be easy to act surprised that it didn't get there before Christmas.....I know I would still accept it later.....many people even celebrate later since THE day is usually chaos if you have to go to more than one place.....I think you have made excellent choices.

DammitJanet

My dad...who is up there in years...ahem...adores Harry and David. They have some really cool coffee additions and popcorn toppers that he loves. You just shake them on.

We have a H&D outlet store on the way to his house and I always stop there and pick him up a little something.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I LOVE Harry & David pears -

....now that address again is:

STAR
XXXX XXXX ST.
XXXXXXXX, SC XXXXX

hahah......I mean since you are flitting all over the palce anyway on the steroids - you should RUN to the grocery, run to Pier One for a basket and put the thing together yourself - and then RUN it over to the neighbors!!!!

And then - just run your little self over here with MY BUKITT -

I'll leave a light on for ya!

meowbunny

And since you're driving to SC and can't sleep, you may as well drop on down to Florida with your basket. By the time you get here, you should be tired enough to crash for at least few hours. So, we'll enjoy your basket of H&D goodies while you sleep and then you can be on your way home.

tinamarie1

We have a Harry & David store here in McArthur Center. I had never even heard of them before moving here. But once difficult child and I went in...I was HOOKED. So now when we go to the mall, I give myself a $10 limit and splurge and get some goodies. They are the best!

F

flutterbee

Star and MB -

I could do that! I just need my basket and my red-hooded cape! It will be just like Little Red Riding Hood - except without the grandma and the wolf. Though Star does have some big ol' dogs.

I did finally crash today which just means I'm going to be up all night again! :treadmill: