Frustrated email from difficult child's teacher ...

TerryJ2

Pretty self-explanatory ...

Hi,
I noticed online that difficult child got an F on his love poem. I told him to ask you for extra credit to make up for it. But that was two days ago. Should I get him to try another poem?
Terry

Yes- that KILLED me to read these great poems and follow the rubric that I gave out in class and they would score an F. The poems were all wonderful but difficult child didn’t have two terms identified in his poem, he elected not to read it in class for the ten points presentation and I don’t think he had an illustration on it. I have attached the Rubric I handed out in class and discussed and put up on the website!!!! Arggggggggggg!
He also still needs to turn in the Imagery Handout (on the website) and stay after to complete the Poetry Make-Up Test. The students were given a take home poetry test last week but if they missed the turn in date they no longer have the Take Home Option. Can he stay after on Tuesday of Thursday?
Thanks!
(Rubric attached)

dstc_99

Well atleast she is letting you know where the issues occurred. Sad that he can't be given a second option instead of reading in front of class.

Sounds like she likes your son and wants him to do well and is just as frustrated as you are that he is struggling.

JJJ

Weird as it sounds, I like it when the teacher's get frustrated. Often, that is when they start to think outsidethe box and actually reach my kids.

InsaneCdn

The poems were all wonderful but difficult child didn't have two terms identified in his poem, he elected not to read it in class for the ten points presentation and I don't think he had an illustration on it

Read more: http://www.conductdisorders.com/for...difficult-childs-teacher-52697/#ixzz2LazxOtzq
Come ON, you ______ teacher.
I can't tell you how often we've hit this.
He did not "elect" to not read this in front of the class.
Creative writing is HIGHLY personal, and for the non-neurotypical kid, practically guarantees a round of bullying thereafter. OUR kids
learn that well. No matter what the teacher thinks about the "goodness" of the rest of the kids in the class, difficult children have very good reasons for non-compliance.

We've had really average teachers who could at least think outside the box - including one I really didn't like: the kids were to write a story - totally fiction... and then, they would read them out to the rest of the class. Well... difficult child could write the story, but there was no way he could read it to the class, because... it WOULD result in bullying. He didn't bring it up that way, though - I had to dig. Caught the teacher in the hall, and teacher immediately got on my case about "getting" difficult child to read his story - and I was ready. Quickly explained that he isn't comfortable reading his own work out loud - what were the alternatives? And the teacher said... the point of reading their work out loud was to get comfortable presenting works of fiction to others... in other words, he could read some OTHER work of fiction (short story) to the class instead.

SPLIT the skills being taught.
Then find appropriate forums for each skill.
Essay writing needs to be accurate English, proper format - and should be required when the subject is neutral.
Journal writing and introspective work are a major challenge to start with, look for ways to slowly build skills but don't make it a "writing" assignment.
Knowledge-based testing (book reports, the 5Ws) can be any format that works - it doesn't require an essay or even formal sentences or even writing at all.
difficult child is required to prove skills in each subject area - but never all at the same time.

InsaneCdn

OK, why is he in this class again? (the why makes a difference)
Did HE push for Honors English?
Was it "automatically" assigned based on his marks last year?
Did the teachers push for him to be in Honors English?

If it's the first one, then... part of this is a learning for him: He isn't neurotypical, and advanced classes are always geared to the neurotypical... unless they are in the highly-Aspergian fields (math, science, technology), in which case it depends on other factors. And, in this case, I can understand the teacher's frustration.

But unless HE pushed to get into that class... if he's there by default or somebody else's planning... then, the same accommodations apply to this class as to any other class he takes. Whether the teacher likes it or not.

TerryJ2

He was automatically slotted into it because he did well in English last yr.
Nope ... he didn't push for it.
But this teacher is pretty accommodating so I think it will all work out. I'll find out Mon or Tue.