Fun thread: R u an introvert or an extrovert?

BusynMember

Here is a little quiz, but you don't have to take it to answer.

https://psychologies.co.uk/self/are-you-an-introvert-or-an-extrovert.html

The short of it: Introverts get their energy from ideas in their minds. After being around people for two long, they often need/want to go home and regroup. They often prefer the company of one to three close friends rather than large groups and dislike small talk.
Extroverts get their energy from others and spending time with people. Often after being with a group of people they are ready for more socializing. They like large groups, meeting new people, talking to everyone and it stimulates them rather than tires them out.
Most people are extroverts.
That really IS t he very short version!!!!

I test always as an introvert with some extroverted traits. However, even when my BFF was alive, if I spent too much time with her, I started thinking about getting home to spend some "down" time. I am no extrovert! It is hard and tiring for me to be in a large group of people.

You?

Wiped Out

Staff member
I didn't take the quiz but would say I am very much in the middle with maybe leaning some into the introvert. easy child/difficult child is super introverted and difficult child is super extroverted! husband is more in the middle like me but more introverted.

nlj

I'm an introvert.
In some situations I become an extrovert though (such as teaching a class).
But I would always choose a quiet library over a noisy social gathering.
Maybe this is where my son gets his dislike of people from, although to a much greater level.
I particularly hate noise, annoying background music in shops and cafes can make me feel physically ill. Actually I could maybe live alone in a forest like my son, I can see the appeal, I could be a hermit like GoingNorth - although my treehouse would need to have an en-suite bathroom and laundry room - haha.

BusynMember

I don't hate people. I just don't connect on a deep level with most (as is the case with almost everybody). If I don't feel and experience that deep connection, then it's not interesting to me...I enjoy deep relationships rather than surface acquaintances, which is another component of introversion. Extroverts, on the other hand, just love being around people and are fine with any sort of relationship, deep or shallow, they just thrive when people surround them.

I suspect most of us here are introverts. I'm guessing that extroverts would not go to a forum for advice. I think they'd throw it out to their friends/acquaintances.

I have some extroverted traits...very friendly with people I don't know well, like the cashier checking out my groceries. I am very talkative and can joke around with the crowd at work, but usually I'd rather listen to the humor and laugh and enjoy it from my spot.
Conduct Disorders, the site, has had meet ups and I've never gone, even when it was in Chicago. Part of that is I couldn't go with ease at the time due to something else that I can't recall. But I would have been terrified if I had forced myself to go. I don't do crowds well. That's when I either get very quiet or screw up and blurt out something stupid that sounds weird and everyone kind of looks at each other (it's nerves). I would do much better in crowds if I drank...lol. But I don't and won't (I take medication and drinking is also NOT my friend) so I have nothing to buffer the anxiety accompanying meeting people that matter to me, but whom I don't really know. The more I care, the more I seem to become tongue-tied. I'd rather write.

nlj

I suspect most of us here are introverts. I'm guessing that extroverts would not go to a forum for advice. I think they'd throw it out to their friends/acquaintances.
That's interesting MWM. I wonder it that's true.
I think a lot of people on this site attend support groups too though, and I wouldn't want to do that.

I recently enrolled on a crochet course. Several of the women there obviously just go for a chat and to share/talk about their health and family problems. I avoid those people. I tend to sit apart and get on with the crocheting - which is what I'm there for! I haven't got time or money to waste on 2 hours chat, I want to focus on learning something. Does that label me as an introvert? Or someone who hasn't got a lot of patience with time-wasting? They've probably labelled me as antisocial. :)

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
LOL quiz not necessary... I'm an introvert! Joining this board 5 1/2 years ago was one of the hardest things I ever did! I also now have a lot of friends I would not have had...

I really prefer small groups of close friends. I like spending time alone... Honestly there are times I cannot wait to be alone so I can do "my thing" whatever that happens to be (TV, computer, crafts...)

BUT... If you meet me in my comfort zone... I come across as an extrovert. Move me out of my comfort zone and it's obvious. And... Rose is really pushing me to talk to strangers!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
LOL quiz not necessary... I'm an introvert! Joining this board 5 1/2 years ago was one of the hardest things I ever did! I also now have a lot of friends I would not have had...

I really prefer small groups of close friends. I like spending time alone... Honestly there are times I cannot wait to be alone so I can do "my thing" whatever that happens to be (TV, computer, crafts...)

BUT... If you meet me in my comfort zone... I come across as an extrovert. Move me out of my comfort zone and it's obvious. And... Rose is really pushing me to talk to strangers!

Malika

According to the quiz (thanks for yet another self-distraction-from-work tool :) ), I am a public extrovert and a private introvert.... What do you know!

BusynMember

LucyJ, think that's an introvert's trait because introverts don't go in for small talk much. They do like deep, compelling conversations with close, close people (and they are careful who they get close to). I'm a lot like you that way. I'd stay on the sidelines if a group was talking small talk.

I'm fine in real life self-help groups though! There are two reasons. One is that the topic is picked and I don't have to search my head to come up with something inane to say, like, "So...what do you do for a living?" when I don't know the person and, if I'm being honest, don't care about the answer and only wish to run and hide with a book. Another reason is that I am interested in any topic that is about learning who we are and I also like to help other people. So I'm ok in THAT kind of a group.

Don't take me to a party. I'll try to make myself smaller than I already am (and I'm small!...lol) and keep looking at the clock until it's safe to go. I have no interest in socializing party-style and I especially get bored when people start to get drunk. I hate small talk, having to behave by a set of social rules that I don't understand, and meeting new people that I probably have nothing in common with and may never see again!

I also often get pulled into a game called, "Let's get Pam drunk." Because usually somebody will spill the beans that I've never been drunk ever, that really seems to get some people absolutely consumed with trying to change that on that night. This happened at a work party once. I didn't drink a sip, but felt immensely irritated and uncomfotable with EVERYONE, boss included, trying to get me to take a shot. Is that what it's called? A shot? Anyway, I wanted to disappear! I left after everyone started getting drunk themselves. I just can't do "party." Give me my computer, my Kindle, something to study...one close person or some time alone...I'm good :). A quiet day on the beach with just my family is a party to me.

Californiablonde

I got introvert, no surprise there. I am incredibly shy. I have been at my job now for just about 9 years and when my coworkers and I go to lunch I am still the quietest one there. I hate small talk. I would much rather be alone at home reading a book or on the internet in one of my anxiety groups. I hide my shyness well behind a computer. Typing is so much easier than talking and being judged. Sometimes I wish I was more outgoing but I've been this way my whole life and it's sorta hard to change now.

BusynMember

CG...although shyness can go along with introversion, there are non-shy??? (word?) introverts and shy extroverts. The definition is simply what gives you energy and stimulation...your solitude or other people.

I'm shy, self-conscious with new people, and outgoing too at times, if I know people well and feel safe. But I definitely would rather be alone after having been with a group of people. I don't even understand why a group of people would like to get together and drink...then they aren't even themselves anymore. I missed the boat somewhere because "party" as it is defined is very confusing to me. It just doesn't sound fun.

I could never talk about all the stuff I do here to other people in real life. Most people even those who see me every day at work don't even know me. Not really.

Heck, I've been on this forum almost the longest and have never met anyone else or talked to anyone either.

pasajes4

I am an introvert. I abhor social small talk and loath the social convention of hugging upon greeting someone. I prefer the company of one or two close friends for short periods of time. I am cordial to my co-workers. I am comfortable being fully engaged with my students.

Coookie

Well MWM when difficult child lived here I was an introvert but now I'm an extrovert. I love meeting people which is a good thing because I meet thousands at the airport for work. When I was dealing with difficult child constantly I just wanted to be alone. :( If it wasn't for the people here I would have been except for husband of course.