Gargantuan tantrum

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Wee difficult child had a major tantrum yesterday over picking up some blankets he had used to make a tent.

The afternoon sitter was with him and said he was playing in a "fort" on the floor and had wet his pants. She asked him to help her pick up so she could clean it up. It sent him into a tizzy the likes of which we haven't seen in a long while.

He has a door to his bedroom that retracts into the wall. He knocked it off the tracks and had it at such an angle that it was wedged into the door frame and neither husband nor I could budge it. We had to take the rollers off and take the door trim off to get it out.

His dresser is a 4 drawer solid oak chest of drawers with an 18" old-style tube tv on it, along with a lamp and some of his "collectibles" He shoved the fully loaded dresser at least 2 feet. The tv hit a wall shelf and slid across the dresser, knocking the lamp off the other side onto the floor.

He emptied his art cabinet and threw the contents of several boxes of crayons everywhere. He took the pictures off of his walls and literally shredded them, including pictures of him with the SpEd teacher that he loves. There are little pieces of paper and photos from the pictures all over his room.

I never did find his pillow.

The sitter ended up having to restrain him on his bed, but said he was fine when he finally calmed and compliant and remorseful when he helped her clean up the mess. He was fine the rest of the evening, tho he did wet himself again around 9pm.

It was a dandy.

tictoc

Oh my...Glad things calmed down. You must have a good babysitter. Just wondering where you, or others, have found qualified babysitters for your difficult children.

susiestar

Roll With It
That sure was gargantuan! What set him off? Can he tell you why he was so angry?

Your sitter sounds like a treasure. I know that when Wiz did this kind of thing I couldn't even get relatives to watch him. We spent years that way.

Glad he helped clean up. He just sounds like he was so overwhelmed or had tried so hard to be good and then someone said something mean and he just couldn't hold back the tide any longer.

By mean I don't mean that others would think it was mean - just that HE perceived it that way.

Don't let this derail your plans. Check to make sure that there are no more services available for him and for the family.

I hope tomorrow is a better day.

TerryJ2

I like LittleDudesMom phrasing: a humdinger.

Whoo. Sigh.

I feel for you. I am about to post my own note right now.

Many hugs. been there done that. Do something good for yourself today.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
I don't miss those days ..... sweetie, this is way past tantrum going into a major meltdown.

I'm glad things settled. Your babysitter sounds like a keeper.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
My sitter is a gem. I was afraid that we weren't going to be able to keep her, but a little creative accounting has fixed that problem (she's doing this as part of her study program for school.)
I'm so thankful to have her, too. And you guys, 'cause this isn't exactly something that the "average parent" understands.