Gary Coleman...dead

Abbey

Spork Queen
I'm not a big TV/movie fan but I grew with this kid when *I* was a kid. Heck, I'm nearly 9 years older than him.

I hope and pray for peace of a lifetime of being a child star. He'd probably be more happy playing kick the bucket in the back alley than having Hollywood's eyes on him.

Abbers

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Very sad. They said he fell and hit his head yesterday. The brain bleed put him into a coma earlier today. The guy just had such a sad, difficult life. May he rest in peace.

Marguerite

I had no idea. I've been so busy for the last few days, I haven't watched much news. I do remember, he's had serious health problems all his life, due to his kidney problems. That is why he was so small. I'm not sure these days if it would be possible for Hollywood to make a child star out of someone who failed to grow because of a medical condition. It screams "exploitation". But he was a bright guy who was able to make the most of it, through some very bad circumstances. I was sad to hear he had to work as a security guard in his later years, though, because he was broke.

It can't have been an easy life for him. Hopefully he didn't suffer any more.

Marg

svengandhi

It reminded me of what happened with Natasha Richardson. A head injury, seemingly ok for a day and then poof... I don't know why they didn't do a CT scan or an MRI of the head. Maybe surgery to relieve cranial pressure might have helped?

Sad also to have read this week that Dana Plato's son, who was 25, killed himself earlier this month, right around the 11th anniversary of his mother's suicide.

I am also about 9 years older than Gary and remember watching the show occasionally. I thought it was entertaining although absolutely unrealistic.

Marguerite

Unfortunately, surgery wouldn't have helped. Things have advanced a great deal when it comes to how we treat head injury cases. The biggest killer, other than direct pressure from a localised bleed, is the generalised brain swelling. With this, a person can seem to be OK but over the hours after the accident, the brain swells. At first it isn't too much of a problem, but soon the pressure from the skull becomes too great. You can't remove the whole skull. So what they do, and it works in most cases, is put the patient into a drug-induced coma ASAP, as soon as it becomes obvious that the brain is going to swell up. The drugs prevent much of the brain swelling and saves many lives. But if the problem is too severe, it can't save everybody. As the brain swells, the pressure squeezes blood form the brain and it starves of oxygen and nutrients. A healthy brain can shut down and die so fast and nothing can be don.

If it's pressure form a bleed, it can be drained. But when the pressure is form the brain itself - once it swells too far, that's it. Brain scans show when the brain waves flat-line. Time to switch off the machines. A flat-line means it's gone. Only brainstem left working, if that.

So sad.

Marg